1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Fiction Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Mandriel, Aug 13, 2017.

1. UnstoppableGamer

UnstoppableGamer Attention Seeker~

(Azelf)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,435.0
    Great Ball ★★Poké Ball ★Dome Fossil ★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★
    I honestly don't have many pet peeves. I'm fine with stereotypes because they can be entertaining (THE COLE TRAIN BABY!), edginess as long as it isn't pretentious, yada yada. Remember, cliches are cliches for a reason.

But really grinds my gears is inconsistent writing! COMMIT TO YOUR CLICHES! DON'T ABRUPTLY CHANGE A CHARACTER OR TONE AT RANDOM!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Sonic Ramon

PokéPoints:
    ₽10.6
    Literally my fanfic on FF.net rn. XD

And I agree with everything you said, @BraviaryScout. I put so much effort and trying my best to improve my fanfic and it doesn't get much recognition. But an effortless Amourshipping story? Pfft, that gets so many reviews and views on it, it makes a bad celebrity looks like a good one. :T

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    @Sonic Ramon It's quite true. Not to say Amourshipping is bad or anytihng (There are some really good Amour stories there, it's just not my favorite pairing) but yeah, it seems like any story that in my eyes was slapped together haphazardly that has Ash and Serena as a pairing will instantly get a ton of attention.

It might be for the better anyway, as my other point is that I prefer quality feedback over quantity. Most of the reviews on those stories anyway don't go past; OMG! Best ship evar!/Update soon! kind of thing. That honestly really irritates me since it doesn't go into detail of WHAT you liked, other than the fact you're there for the fluff.

If that's the case, tell me about the romantic parts you liked! I prefer to see people's comments on what happens in the fic other than just plain sugarcoating with that above. Trust me, I'd prefer one longer review with outlining the best parts and offering their own predictions of what happens next over five Good chapter/Update soon/Best ship evar! kind of thing.

Again, sorry if I sound mean and condescending, but stuff like this really bothers me. I can launch into another rant about a bunch of other things too that get on my nerves, but this is really the most prominent.

And Sonic, hope everything is alright down there after Harvey hammered you guys. Stay safe :)

4. Sonic Ramon

PokéPoints:
    ₽10.6
    I feel ya, bud. In fact, I only got two reviews on my fanfic in FF.net and those two only told me it's great...despite during the prologue, I asked for some constructive criticism on my story. xD

And about Harvey, my home is alright, thankfully. My area didn't get too flooded, surprisingly. It just has a bunch of heavy rains and...rains in general. Glad to know that my home is still in one piece tho. Seeing the sun rising yesterday was the most refreshing moment of my life after going through that madness. Also, my emotions was acting up so much during Harvey. With negativity coming from other family members of mine and me trying to stay hopeful. It was just...ew. It's not the worst experience I've ever been through in my life but it's still pretty bad. x3x'

5. Deedee the Ranger

Umadeleine
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽181.4
    Just a peeve about Pokémon fanfiction, about the anime in particular. I find it really frustrating when all the stories with Ash as the protagonist are really angsty or portray Ash as some sort of dark, broody kid who's gone through something horrible. That's not how Ash is; to me, he sort of represents childhood innocence, the excitement of meeting new Pokémon and winning battles... that cheer, what really makes Pokémon worth it for me, is basically what he represents and radiates in droves. That people can take that and throw it out the window, especially so often... kind of gets annoying after a while.

Of course, that won't stop me reading fanfiction which develops Ash into something more mature. I remember really appreciating one fic where he gained further access to the 'ghost' form and powers from the Haunter episode, and how it matured him.

Mandriel likes this.
  6. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    That reminds me of this one time, I was trying to find a Pokémon fic to read, and about 30% of them were all these angst 'Ash got betrayed by his friends!' fics. I understand that it's interesting to view innocent characters in a darker light, but when there are so many of them, it really starts to get annoying. Most handle the 'dark' elements poorly and only really include them to make the story edgy.

Sonic Ramon likes this.
  7. Sonic Ramon

PokéPoints:
    ₽10.6
    There's a proper way to handle dark elements in stories. And there's a dumb way to handle dark elements in stories. Most fanfics tends to go the dumb way when it comes to these types of stories, apparently. I know this because I was once in those dumb ways when writing my first Pokémon fanfic. :P

Mandriel likes this.
  8. buhu

buhu Bug Catcher

Caddy
    (Caterpie)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽16.7
    okay this might sound kinda w ierd but like>?? fanfic including characters i identify with. like no, thats not me, delete it

9. DelphoxError

Dice
    (Alolan Meowth)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽60.4
    i'm not a big fan of ocs being put haphazardly into a story with canon characters;;
    like, if you can integrate your characters into the world very well and have it believable in that setting, that's honestly p great!
    but it really irks me when you have a character like ash and then you have a multicolored sparkle human alongside him;;

Mandriel likes this.