1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

First Impressions

Discussion in 'Switch Pokémon Games' started by Dawn, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    LV, how well is Let's Go meeting your expectations? Is it better than you expected? Worse? Are there things you wish you could change? What has been your favourite and least favourite part of the games so far? Share your first impressions of the games!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    I love how pretty it is and I'm super enjoying the gimmick of the Pokémon being visible in the tall grass.
    I'd love for that to be kept in other games but I know it probably wont. =w=

I really like the changes made to the pikachu and eevee model, especially regarding the eyes and I hope in future all Pokémon and characters have a similar makeover!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    Definitely better. I thought it'd be massively easy and while yes, it is definitely easy, I'm already a little underleveled in a spot where I had expected to be at least relatively overleveled (third gym) haha. The graphics are also impeccable and can't be compared to watching trailer videos or Let's Plays on YouTube -- experiencing it for yourself is so much more immersive.

I have really grown to really like this encounter system, too, and think I'd prefer future games in the main series to adapt it. It's nice and more realistic to be able to see Pokémon in the overworld. Being able to pick what I want to encounter adds a lot to my enjoyment. Really do like these games so far. =')

4. PantherPunch

Sky
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽71.1
    Honestly the only thing I still don't like about the games is the catching mechanics. I've never liked Pokémon go and its catching mechanics, but I've been thinking about buying let's go eevee due to the good looking graphics. Plus (I'm watching a streamer play it) the gameplay looks fun.

5. Borie Broer

Melody
    (Meloetta Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽368.8
    I've opened up to it a little and I'm enjoying most of my current playthrough.

However there is so much I don't like about this game, the catching mechanics are very frustrating, controller support is bad, and the motion controls like any other game I've ever used them in don't seem to work very well, I can hardly seem to throw a ball to my right, it just won't go far enough.

Replayability seems really low, once I beat the game I won't have much of a reason to replay it.
    You cannot breed a team in advance, meaning that you can't start the game off with Pokémon you want to use at lv1, if you ever want to use an exeggutor like I wanted, tough luck because you can only catch it right before victory road, the Alolan variant is even further than that, you also can't name your alolan mons because of this.
    Any pokémon beyond gen 1 is of course completely locked out so no going through kanto with my favourite pokémon.

Playing with a team full of NFE Pokémon is also completely out of the question since there isn't an Everstone you can equip on them, unless you like cancelling their evolution every time they level up.

And here's another big hit against replayability, in order to battle Koga you require to have caught at least 50 different species of Pokémon, I honestly really doubt I'll feel like catching that many pokémon with these mechanics just to replay the game, what an awful requirement that wasn't forced on you ever before in a Pokémon game, low level runs are also impossible unless you bring a powerful one along that you won't use because of these gym requirements.

I also run into a ton of Pokémon on the overworld and it's just become a dodge the pokémon mini-game, there's some spaces like the Pokémon mansion where it's very difficult to avoid Pokémon, and the little body of water on Route 10 where you catch Dratini is even worse.
    I don't really mind the overworld Pokémon mechanic per se, it's great for chaining if you want to do that, and I think it has other pros, but I still prefer the overworld not looking so crowded.

This was also an opportunity to give the rival and team rocket grunts their own battle theme, but this isn't the case, everyone except for gym leaders, wild Pokémon and E4/Champion all share the same battle theme, which isn't too bad I suppose, I love that theme, but still.

Move variety is better than the original games, but since there are no Egg moves and many useful moves got removed, my Ninetales can't learn extrasensory, its only Psychic move, this would have been the one game where it would have been a really useful move to have since so many Kanto mons are weak to psychic, Ninetales-A also can't learn moon blast. :(

I expected the game to be really easy, but it's not too bad if you avoid catching anything you don't need, it's still very easy mind you and Eevee is way too good, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be.
    However I do wish they kept the Exp mechanics from BW/2 and U/SM where a lower level Pokémon would get more exp and higher level ones less, they went back to the old mechanics, so it takes a really long time for a new party member to catch up to the others, I just caught a Dratini, it was lv21, my highest pokémon is lv55 currently, it might not be able to catch up unless I give it some exclusive training without the others in my party.

I do think the game is good and I enjoy it because it's still Pokémon, but I really hope they don't make a game like this again, please keep doing traditional remakes Game Freak, I beg you, fun game but it seems like such a waste.

#5 Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  6. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    I wasn't thinking much of it at first, but it's grown on me. I like how there is more incentive to catch Pokémon. They give exp, fill the Pokédex, and when you release them (send to prof) you get stat boosting candies. Cleaning out your Pokémon box is also super easy and you don't need to visit a PC to do it, so it's a lot more simple to catch mons. I'm enjoying not having to use false swipe and a sleep inducing move on everything for a change lol.