1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Digital Fixing Calyrex’s design

Discussion in 'Art Corner' started by RadEmpoleon, Jun 3, 2020.

1. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,111.9
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    This is Calyrex, a new Pokémon in the DLC.
    [​IMG]
    One part of its design that sticks out like a sore thumb is its ridiculously long legs. I decided I’d try to fix it.
    [​IMG]
    -shortened the legs to a more proportional length
    -straightened the right leg slightly
    -brought the ends of the feet to a point, to match the other pointed ends in the design, like the antlers and hands
    -changed the part near the top of the legs from a straight line to a point, again to match the other pointed ends
    -changed the arms from green to beige, so the green neck thing could stand out more
    Here is a gif comparing the original design to my revised design.
    436CBEBC-5139-416C-82B6-A71B6CCF0858.gif

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Jun 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    Gwoomy, 1mightydragon and PoserPanda like this.
  2. Jeydis

Jeydis J̷̉͐O̵̔̏Ǐ̶͝N̵̒̍ ̷͚̇Ǘ̸̂S̴͘

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,279.6
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    That certainly helps but man do I dislike that design lol.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    RadEmpoleon likes this.
  3. PoserPanda

SS EGG 2
    (Giratina Egg (Altered))
    Level 74
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,173.3
    Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    It's great how the little things you can do to edit a Pokémon, actually change it for the better. It makes a huge difference in how the Pokémon looks, when the design is actually more cohesive. It almost feels like the Pokémon should have started out the way you have edited it. The official version just doesn't seem finished. Pretty? Well-thought?
    Yours fits the main idea of the Pokémon much better.

Also, this may be reaching too far into Calyrex's design, but I am totally getting triforce vibes from this rabbit. I mean, It is a Nintendo + Game Freak franchise. Plus, in the original Link Between Worlds, Link turns into a pink bunny. So despite the fact that there is most likely no chance that any of Link's adventure will make it into Pokémon; I wouldn't be mad if some more barely connected designs were added to the Pokémon universe.

#3 Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    RadEmpoleon likes this.
  4. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,111.9
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I came back to the fixed version of Calyrex and realized that the head looked too disproportionately big compared to the body. So I made the upper half (from the beaded neck thing and up) slightly smaller, so the proportions made a bit more sense.
    [​IMG]
    And again, here’s a gif comparing the original design with my newly revised version.
    EE375250-E7DE-4E37-8585-C14F32AB6058.gif (Please ignore the random specks around the legs and head areas. I’m not sure how they got there and I don’t know how to get rid of them.)

5. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I've never realized how awkward a Pokémon Calyrex looked, but that's just because at first glance I thought that it was supposed to be a deer creature seen from the front, which was why the legs were so long and the ear things were antlers. Somehow it being a bipedal creature makes all of its proportions seem off. These fixes help, but they're still designs that would take me some time to get used to.