1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Following Pokémon - should it return?

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Achromatic, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    Would you guys like to see Pokémon following return in US/UM?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    For USUM, I don't think I'd like that feature to be brought back yet. Maybe for the Switch mainstream Pokémon game could I see that being really fitting since the graphics will be more enhanced and all the Pokémon models wont be reduced in quality to fit in the over world.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DeleteAbsol

DeleteAbsol Absol-utely Bad

Pichu
    (Pichu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20.9
    Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    I honestly would agree with @❀Bloom❀ in that regard, however I feel like they are going to save it for a special occasion, if not then they will likely use it for some of the more misc. activities.

4. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    I don't know if the 3DS will be able to handle it, but I'd like to see it come back. I think it'd be super fun to walk around with your partners again, six generations later.
    #MissingNo

5. Kiyase

Kiyase Sailor

Etain
    (Growlithe)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽15.7
    Poké Ball ★Amulet Coin ★★★
    I think it would be really cool if it could happen again! That's one of the reasons HG/SS are one my favorite games, so it would be awesome if it happened again.

6. AstrologyDork

PokéPoints:
    ₽1.0
    I really hope so, my first Pokémon game was SoulSilver and I would love to see the feature brought back, especially with gold and silver coming out in the eshop and the Celebi event.

7. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    I really miss this feature but I understand the stress of having every Pokémon available to do it now that there's so many ^^;
    I don't think it'll be back for USUM but for future games maybe?

8. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I don't think it'll happen, but I reckon it would look pretty cool. I don't have a very strong opinion on the subject as I never played HG/SS so I didn't get to experience the feature first-hand, but it does sound like fun.

9. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I think it would be really nice to see the following Pokémon feature come back, buuuuuut... the fact that there are over 800 Pokémon now would be a big halt. Maybe the 3DS isn't able to handle that well, or maybe the game will have set Pokémon that can walk with you (probably the starters, Rockruff/Lycanroc, etc.)

It would be really cool to see it happen, but whether or not the game could handle it would be the biggest question :P

10. SuperMK8pro

SuperMK8pro Youngster

Natalie
    (Venonat)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽15.4
    I would love to see it return!

11. ThePikaPlayer

ThePikaPlayer Bug Catcher

Pikachu
    (Pikachu)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽24.4
    I would love to see Pokémon following you in US/UM, but I don't think it will happen. That was the reason people loved HeartGold and SoulSilver and why people remember it. If Nintendo does it again with US/UM, people will forget that HG/SS had it. And besides, having all 802(at least) Pokémon following you would probably slow down the game to as fast as Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis for the GBA. If Nintendo does include Pokémon following you, I would be happy, but it would probably be the last time anything of this nature happened.

12. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I'd love to see it return, but considering how simple DOUBLE BATTLES lagged the hell out of anything that wasnt a New3DS, I'm not counting on it at all. Maybe the main Switch game will have it, but I'm firmly believing USUM won't have this feature.

13. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I would love to see it return. But maybe as an option and not mandatory.

14. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,010.7
    I don't think it will happen but I'd like to see it as an optional feature. If they do have it, it will probably only be a 3DS exclusive feature.

15. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    Crown of ValorStaff of Verity
    I'd like to see it return someday, but maybe not in Ultra Sun/Moon.

16. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I want that feature to return so badly... I want my Rockruff to follow me everywhere. :')

17. Teddybear2345

Teddybear2345 Which is cooler, to be cool, or uncool?

PokéPoints:
    ₽529.7
    Rage Candy Bar ★★★Bicycle ★★Razz Berry ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★Slowpoke Tail ★★★★
    I actually found it quite annoying when they did this. I didn't like the idea, mostly cause it felt distracting, when you were searching for items or about to battle someone. Also to add, it felt rather gimmicky and not of any real significance imo as well.

18. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Gosh I hope they do. It was so much fun in Soul Silver having my little Cyndaquil walking behind me (Dies form cuteness). I don't know if USUM will be able to handle all the models though with 3DS limitations.... Maybe for the Switch!

19. SkyBlueFox1

SkyBlueFox1 Black Belt

Rose
    (Ninetales)
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,728.9
    On the one hand, I'd really love for following Pokémon to return, especially since it seemed like there were hints towards it getting cut from Sun and Moon in the first place, what with every Pokémon having walking and running animations and the like.

On the other hand, now that the games are doing 3D models and using characters with actual proportions and everything, it'd get a lot more limited. HGSS got away with a lot thanks to the usage of small sprites and the chibi-fied, top-down perspective. Even in XY, they probably couldn't have gotten away with it simply because of the extra perspective 3D offers.

I would like to have it return, though, if mainly because it certainly helps to accentuate the bonds between you and your Pokémon. It's the same reason that having actual backgrounds in Pokémon Refresh (that correspond to where you are at the moment, like a beach background at the beach and etc) feels more immersive and authentic. For all its talk about the main theme of Pokémon being people and Pokémon working together, HGSS is the only game in the series where I really felt like you and your Pokémon were traveling together. Simply having them wandering out of the ball and exploring with you, and getting to see their reactions to the various places, adds an enormous amount of attachment, even if it is generally quite subtle.

That said, I still don't think they'll add it unless they restrict it to smaller Pokémon (so no Onix, for example), which would hurt a lot of the appeal as is.

20. GoddessDiancie

Sleep Inducer
    (Jigglypuff)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11.7
    It would be great if that featured returned! But honestly I don't think it will, the 3DS might not be able to handle it