1. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Free Roam: How do you feel about it?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Vigilance, Jun 13, 2019 at 4:01 PM.

1. Vigilance

Vigilance LV Admin

Chopper
    (Sneasel)
    Level 92
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,300.8
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    So I've basically stopped playing video games that don't let me free roam because I guess I don't like being controlled??? There are so many games where I think "damn, if they just let me do whatever I please" and then I'd be totally fine.

Do you guys feel the same way? Or do you like some structure? What are some games you prefer free roam and some that you don't?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽565.2
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    Games like Minecraft or Skyrim that let you go about the game your own way can be fun, but then after a while I'm at a loss as to what to do. Then there are games like typical RPGs and such that have proper story structures, but can come off as controlling, give you the illusion of choice, and/or sometimes make very little sense ("But thou must!" and all that noise).

Really, it could go both ways. It's all about the pacing in my mind. Breath of the Wild is a great example of free roaming, because as soon as you leave the tutorial area, you only have one real goal: Defeat Ganon. You can go there immediately if you want, with the only things stopping you being the tough enemies and robots with death lasers in your way. Other than that, you can simply explore the world to your heart's content and get stronger as you progress, without feeling too lost as to what to do next. There's always another shrine beyond the hill, or a Korok puzzle to solve in the woods, or more ingredients for cooking to find.

Meanwhile, the Persona games are great examples of linear story progression without it feeling too controlling. You can still do whatever you want; go to the movies, train up your team, go hang out with that one guy in the adults-only club, etc. But at the same time you still have deadlines and exams to deal with as time passes, so the story continues at its own pace rather than yours. The games pretty much teach you how to manage your time properly without holding your hand, so to speak.

But that's just how I think, hopefully that makes some sense. :sweat:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Vigilance and ShinigamiMiroku like this.
  3. King Dedede

King Dedede Gordo Aficionado

Rey
    (Charmander)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽303.1
    I love free roaming games like Odyssey and Minecraft. They’re always a great time because I can just ends around, explore, and experiment with different builds and doing some cool parkour as Mario.

I enjoy story driven games but I can see why they can be kinda feel like you’re being held back. I’d love to explore the beautifully rendered world of halo but I got to stick to the mission. I still enjoy playing the games though.

Vigilance likes this.
  4. PoserPanda

PoserPanda PKMN Breeder

carbink
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 26
    PokéPoints:
    ₽259.0
    Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I don't mind the more straight-forward games, but sometimes the game can feel like I should be able to reach a place, or go where I want, when in reality it was not a part of the plan in the first place. For example there are certain parts of a game where levels or worlds are blocked by things like a jump that is just out of reach, or it turns out that you have run into an invisible wall, when it feels like you should be able to go farther.
    I guess I really do prefer open-world, but I feel spoiled on all the games that let me walk or run wherever I want to. Fie upon you, OctoPath Traveler! I must explore all the corners of the map, or else I might miss a chest or an awful random encounter!

5. BZRich64

BZRich64 Mustached Moderator

Golden Lizard
    (Charmeleon)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,016.8
    Free roaming can be nice, but I certainly don't see it as a requirement or anything. In fact, sometime I feel like too many games these days try to be 'open world'. Some games pull it off, while others... not so much.

Vigilance likes this.
  6. Wizard

Wizard HOO BOY

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽844.8
    Free-roaming is always a fun time, but is certainly far from being a determining factor of a good game for me. Let's look at some of my favorite games that have free-roaming, and some that don't.

Do: Xenoblade Chronicles, Persona 5?? (kind of free roaming, but not really?), Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman PS4, Skyrim.
    Don't: Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Star Wars Battlefront, Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2005), Donkey Kong Country 2, Super Mario World.

Free-roaming allows the player to traverse the world to their heart's content, but it can also carry a variety of issues. Breath of the Wild is a prime example of this. The roaming can be really fun, but I found it can get stale rather fast, due to the lack of things to do.

7. Kano

Kano whelp

Mew Egg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽47.8
    I love free-roam in games! Mainly because I like world exploration! At the same time, it's annoying to give too much freedom because things start to lose focus and become less clear. I love side quests but too many makes the game progress too tedious IMO.

8. Jeydis

Jeydis Animist

Mighty Handwing
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽281.7
    Free roaming is a double edged sword in gaming and requires a finesses that some game companies cannot pull off correctly. Free roaming should still have flow and not feel empty. Keep small quests around as well as interesting landmarks to intrigue the player into moving forward and getting to the next important story hook. Openworldness should not be an excuse for poor story, it needs to be a balance and the mechanics need to be designed with the open ended mind of the player at the forefront.

9. Vigilance

Vigilance LV Admin

Chopper
    (Sneasel)
    Level 92
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,300.8
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    I think pulling it off properly is really important. I've played a couple games where free roam was there but there wasn't much you could do or even if you could it felt repetitive with little concrete variation.

I do enjoy free roam more though cause I've never been a huge story guy.