1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Frustration

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Dawn, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Video games are supposed to be fun - for most of us, that is the whole point of playing them. What "fun" means depends on who you ask, but there are times when even the best of games can cross the line between fun and frustration. A difficult jump in a 2D platformer. A tough boss battle in an RPG that is just a little TOO tough. Game mechanics that don't fit with the rest of the game. An absolutely awful background level theme. Sometimes, frustration is inevitable.

What do you find frustrating in video games? Has there ever been a game so frustrating that you just stopped playing it? Has a single frustrating moment ever ruined an otherwise fantastic experience for you?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    For Pokémon games, my main peeve is the very long grinding sessions I sometimes do to level up or find a rare one...
    As for the (only) other major game I play the main problem is internet problems and one-hit-combos, which are so annoying!
    Generally speaking, what annoys me the most is when your opponent already has critical HP left, then something happens and he kills you first... sigh

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    What annoys me in games is when there's too much of a level jump. Like, it begins with getting gradually and naturally harder, and then, boom, you're getting destroyed by an obstacle (whether it be an opponent or a challenge) that is twice as hard as it should be. The biggest example that comes to mind is Whitney, in Pokémon Gold/Silver. Her Miltank destroys me every single time, and I lose to her, like, five times before finally destroying her without a problem. Another example I would say is the water temples in the Zelda games. If you know what you're doing, it's not too bad, but for first time players, the water temples are just nothing like what you would have done previously in the game, so you almost have to find an entirely new way to play.
    Fortunately, those annoying moments have not ruined Pokémon or Zelda for me.

4. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,229.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    Games that are poorly optimized for the console they are on frustrate me to no end. Noticeable lag, short draw distances, and long loading screens are just a few examples of optimization issues.

While I am in the minority of people who really enjoyed Pokémon Sun and Moon, I do acknowledge how horrendously those games ran. Any battle that had more two Pokémon on screen made the game chug. Even on the more powerful New 3DS, I encountered lots of lag. Here’s hoping future games will be optimized better.

5. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,269.2
    I get incredibly frustrated by poor balancing and level curves in video games. Fire Emblem 6 is a terrible culprit of this. Boss terrain is absurdly high in evasion stats, making certain bosses almost impossible to hit outside of one or two characters for the first half of the game. Fire Emblem 7 has a major difficulty spike in the last stage, having the enemies jump insanely in the statistical department.

Another thing that frustrates me is when my controller inputs slowly, whether it be to lag or just general slowness. I've lost Smash Bros matches because my controller wouldn't react in time. I'm okay with losing if it is my fault, but not when it was out of my control like that.