1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Galar’s musical impressions

Discussion in 'Switch Pokémon Games' started by RadEmpoleon, Nov 16, 2019.

1. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,111.9
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    What are your opinions on the music so far? What’s good, what’s not so good, best and worst themes, etc.

I haven’t had a chance to listen to the full soundtrack, but I have listened to most of it. I must say, from what I’ve heard, Galar has quite the unique soundtrack- I’d go to say the most diverse of them all.

One thing I really like about the soundtrack is the inclusion of vocals- whether it be the chanting of the crowds or the choir in Chairman Rose’s theme, I think the vocals really add something unique not just to the songs themselves, but the overall theme of Galar’s music selection. It also makes me happy that we’re getting more vocal tracks, seeing as we only had a few vocal tracks on all previous generations.

Now looking at the rival themes, I love that each rival has their own theme. Hop, Bede, and Marnie all have vastly different personalities, so I don’t think one song could have encompass all 3 of them. Each rival’s theme matches their personality well: Hop’s is upbeat and happy, Bede’s is passionate and a bit chaotic, and Marnie’s is edgy and cute.

In the Pokémon League version of Hop’s and Marnie’s themes (idk if Bede’s changes at all) change slightly. Hop’s theme sounds more serious than his original theme, emphasizing his determination to win the Pokémon League and become the champion. However, there’s still an upbeat, playful element to his theme, and these 2 contrasting themes are excellently balanced. The cherry on top is the crowd clapping and cheering to his theme (the cheers almost sound like they’re saying “Go Hop!”). As for Marnie’s theme, spit starts right at the main guitar part, showing that she is putting her all into the battle. The rest of her theme is relatively the same, but there is much more cheering than before. Considering her backstory that she was a timid little girl before the support of Team Yell and Piers, this theme shows that she has become confident with the support of not just Team Yell cheering along, but the whole stadium cheering her on.

A lot of the songs share a snippet of Leon’s champion theme (I learned recently this was called a “leitmotif”). I think that was a great idea, considering that everyone in Galar loves Leon, so it makes sense that you can hear some version of his theme everywhere. Some examples include Wedgehurst, Motostoke, and Eternatus’s phase 3 theme (which is very similar to the champion theme). Then when you finally reach Leon’s champion battle, all the leitmotifs start to make sense. Galar is wildly cheering along to the battle theme (which is very similar to, if not the same as, the Hall of Fame theme). It starts off serious at first, then like the Kahuna theme in gen 7, it takes a 180 and becomes a hype, upbeat song, emphasizing that, while this is the championship battle, you should still have fun, win or lose. (Also I would like to point out that one part of this theme shares the same guitar as the one in Hop’s theme, which I think is a nice touch.)

Probably the most surprising thing about Galar’s music selection is the inclusion of howling. Sword and Shield make great uses of an unconventional “instrument” by using it multiple times throughout the game, each with a different meaning behind it. In Slumbering Weald, the second half of the song first showcases the howling. Here, it’s very mysterious, playing into the mystery of Slumbering Weald. In the first encounter theme with Zacian and Zamazenta, we hear almost the exact same theme as Slumbering Weald, except it is much faster to emphasize the seriousness of this Pokémon. In Eternatus’s phase 3 theme, we can hear them howling along as well. Their howling is frequent in this song- they are fighting with all their strength to protect Galar. Finally, in their true battle theme, of course we can hear them howling along. Their theme is basically a sped-up version of Slumbering Weald, calling back to when we first met them.
    (Edited because I wanted to update my analysis)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
  2. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,898.9
    I've heard some people say Hop's battle theme sounds like a Sonic the Hedgehog song.

Postwick Town is very relaxing and charming, as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Don't open this unless you want story spoilers...I've been listening to the OST on Youtube for a while now, so I've jumped ahead.

Significantly below average battle themes...I'm quite disappointed in that. I mean, Chairman Rose's battle theme isn't TOO bad - it's what I imagine Ghetsis' theme might be like if Gen V was remade for Switch, actually - but it's not really great either, and I can't believe that Eternatus has three battle themes and none of them come even close to being as good as Ultra Necrozma's from last gen. The battle themes all sound so...samey. Nothing here unique or praiseworthy. The Champion battle theme is easily the worst one ever composed. Part of the problem is the cheering crowds for a lot of them...and the sheer lack of variety. I only mention Rose's battle theme because it's the only one that actually sounds different from all the other battle themes, and even there the background doesn't really complement the choir very well.

The location themes, though? Some of them are pretty good. Slumbering Weald in particular is quite nice. But nothing is especially memorable.

But god, this OST could really use some variety.

4. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,944.4
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I honestly love the music in this game, I do have one gripe tho and that it is extremely hard to hear the music doing gym battles because of what I assume is the crowd going wild drowns it out. That is honestly a bit of a bummer when is kinda important to be able to hear the music to me at least.

I only have 3 badges so I haven't heard all the music yet.

WavePearl likes this.
  5. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,898.9
    Just arrived in Hulbury City--the harmonica in that theme is nice.

6. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    I have to agree with Dawn on the lack of variety in battle themes. The idea of having multiple versions of the same theme was a bit overdone and made the battle themes blend into each other.

I adore the overworld themes though. Turffield, the Northern half of the Wild Area and Wyndon’s theme are all some of my new favorites.

7. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    Stow-on-Side has jumped its way up to my top 5 city/town themes.

Not just of this gen, or this game.
    Of all time.