1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Game Recommendations

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Professor Azelf, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Professor Azelf

Suicune
    (Suicune)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽613.9
    Have a game you think others should try out? Tell us about it here! Just say more than the game's title, tell us why do you want others to try it out.

This topic is for games of all platforms and genres so go nuts and recommend all your favorites if that's what you want!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Getus

Getus The Senate

Ky
    (Kyogre Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.6
    Philosopher's CowlReaper Cloth ★★★Psychium Z ★★★★Great Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    So this is an old one, but if you're a fan of the hack'n'slash, adventure or puzzle genres, I feel like Darksiders 2 (currently free on PS Plus) is a good game for you to try out. The world blends its puzzles into it flawlessly and the combat is pretty fun. The only downside imo would be its story which can be hard to understand, especially if you haven't played Darksiders 1. In the game you play as the Horseman Death, who is on a quest to free his brother, War (the protag of Darksiders 1) from the crimes he's been accused of.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JustTopaz

Evie
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽18.5
    I recommend Pokémon

But seriously, I love Stardew Valley. It's great and not expensive. I will always recommend Spyro The Dragon (the first one. currently playing 2, not as impressed). If you like Skyrim I highly recommend Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. I also love The Wolf Among Us. That's awesome. Witcher 3 is good, though I haven't played it a lot. I don't recommend Witcher 1 unless you're dedicated to the plot. Witcher 2 is good, but the controls are a little ehhh. Feel Free to PM me if you're into spooky Hidden object games. I collect them, so I have played a fair few.

I don't actually play a lot of games these days. But that doesn't mean I won't keep buying them XD

Getus likes this.
  4. Dancey

Dancey Sailor

THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE L E D G E N D
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽133.7
    Alright, I've got to recommend Cookie Run, a free game in which I only know it's on android, though it could be on IOS or something idk. Now you might be wondering, "What the heck kind of game is called Cookie Run?" Well, it's literally an endless runner game, in which you play as cookies. The devs of the game, however, has made this sort of game correctly, in which there are a bunch of great features, and like any endless runner should be, it's addictive and fun to play! The characters you can play as are great, and the gameplay is pretty well done I'd say. Also a bit of comedic value at some points. There are two versions of Cookie Run, the original Line version, and the newer Ovenbreak version. I would recommend the Ovenbreak version over the Line version, since the Ovenbreak version is the one getting updates, while the Line version is pretty much dead with the updates. Though, both are good games, and I think both should be played.

#4 Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    Getus likes this.
  5. JustTopaz

Evie
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽18.5
    Hello, I'm here to say that I'm going to install the game right now. Thank you.

6. Rafael

Rafael Math Geek

Odd Egg
    (Odd Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,073.8
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★
    If you have a PS2, try Persona 3 and Persona 4.

If you have a PS Vita, try Persona 4 Golden.

If you have a PS3, try Persona 3, Persona 4, and Persona 5.

If you have a PS4, try Persona 5.

Persona and Persona 2 are definitely good but the experience is a bit different from 3-5, and may feel a little outdated compared to the others.

The stories are great. The music is great. The art is great (check out gameplay vids of Persona 5 and you'll see what I mean). I swear, you will never regret getting into this series.

guest likes this.
  7. DoctorAlakazam

DoctorAlakazam Contributor

First Try :]
    (Chansey)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,471.0
    Helix Fossil ★★★
    Crash Bandicoot 2
    No real reason its just my favorite game and I feel it gets overshadowed by 1&3

8. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    MS Saga: A New Dawn is an RPG for the PS2. Hard to find because limited copies were made, it was a long-overshadowed entry in the Mobile Suit Gundam multiverse that had great music, great customization, and difficult challenges, bucking the old trend of grinding to become overpowered and muscling through the game - no levels will help you when you get vaporized by Big Zam's main cannon. Despite a cliched story, early-gen graphics, and less-than-passable voice-acting (in the few instances where the characters are voiced), this game is one that I continually return to.

9. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I would recommend the Phoenix Wright series. A visual novel/mystery/detective game that relies heavily on thinking and logic. Amazing games so far.

Lexatom and guest like this.
  10. guest

PokéPoints:
    ₽723.0
    To any fans of games with dating sim elements and/or great character designs... Give Avalon code a try! It's underappreciated and given its age its doubtful that it'll ever get a sequel but it was a fantastic experience. The graphics are quality for an older DS game and the gameplay is fun if repetitive. You can alter nearly everything around you with Book of Prophecy, including the weapons you collect and enemies you encounter. It's an interesting way to manually adjust the difficulty level of the game (for example if you give an enemy the 'stone' attribute it'll be much tougher than if you give it the 'ill' attribute'. The sprites change depending on attributes too!).

If you can get your hands on it I would definitely recommend giving it a try!

(Box art for reference!)
    [​IMG]

11. Pory-ZPlayz

Pory-ZPlayz Your Friendly Neighborhood Glitch

Iceon
    (Eevee (S))
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽158.5
    Exp. Share ★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    Try Animal Crossing: New Leaf. If you like RPG’s mixed with animals, this is a perfect game. It takes you as the mayor. It is kind of like Pokémon x and y where you can customize your character. You can also get tools and build up your city. It is a Nintendo select, so it’s only $19.99. Here is a official trailer of the game

12. Enasencca

Enasencca Ace Trainer

Mercury
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽592.7
    Rage Candy Bar ★★★Rocky Helmet ★★★★★PokéBallPokéBallGreat Ball
    Alright! Here we go, my list of recommended games! Keep in mind they're usually quite old, so sorry if you have a hard time finding them!

1. Ghost Trick. This game is AMAZING. The story is good, with enough foreshadowing to leave you facepalming after, lots of twists and turns, not to mention gut wrenching scenes. Truly, a writer's dream. The gameplay is nothing to scoff at either, being easy to understand and yet, offering a challenge as well.

2. For fans of harvest moon, give the rune factory series a try! Mixing fantasy with farming and of course, romance elements, it's an incredibly fun game! I personally recommend rune factory 3 and 4, being the lastest games in the franchise so far.

3. Artists should definitely try Omani. It's amazing and I'm sobbing forever over the fact that I can't play it. Go look it up!

4. 999! It's an amazing escape the room style game, which challenges your brain in various ways. Not to mention, it has a lovabl- well, interesting cast at least, and multiple endings too!

5. Murder Trivia Party! Part of the Jackbox games, it's a very fun party game that involves trivia, with an amazing narrator and aesthetic.

13. U44151

U44151 Sailor

Legendary Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽196.0
    Undertale:amazing storyline and music+has a very arcade feel to it,would recommend
    Skyrim and the witcher 3:must plays for the fantasy genre
    life is strange:again,terrific storyline and great progression,graphics are decent too

14. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    Friend Ball ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Leaf Stone ★★★Grassium Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★
    World of Final Fantasy

When I got this game, I immediately looked up the reviews and found them to be pretty average. 60% on metacritic or so, and 7/10 on IGN or something. The game kinda floated around there for the most part so I thought I made an accidental bad purchase.

Boy, was I wrong.

Maybe it's because I'm such a huge fan of both Pokémon and Final Fantasy, but WoFF manages to blend thes two elements together in a super enjoyable RPG for fans of both series, alongside some really neat references to past Final Fantasy games thrown in!

See, in this game, you capture creatures all over the world of Grymoire called Mirages (basically Pokémon). They have skill trees as they level up and they can even evolve (although doing that is kind of a pain, admittedly). You travel with two protagonists as they discover to find out more about their past due to not remembering anything at all.

Like I said, if you're a fan of grindy RPGs (and especially if you're a Pokémon and Final Fantasy fan) I cannot recommend WoFF enough. I think what put some people off are the chibi graphics, but idk I found it cute and endearing and the creatures, for the most part, are pretty adorable (although you'll definitely come across some really ugly ones).

So anyway, before I go on too long of a tangent, if you have a PS4 and a spare $40 or so lying around (just don't buy from the PSN store cause they charge a full $60.. unless you're good with that), feel free to give this game a shot! Or watch some video playthroughs or something so you know what I'm talking about. But it's a really, REALLY fun and addicting game.

15. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    I'd highly recommend BlazBlue, but only up until Continuum Shift, which is the second game into the series. The world is very unique, interesting, and filled to the brim with all sorts of interesting lore. Each character has such unique designs, abilities, weapons, etc. It's a fighting game and each character has their own specific style of fighting, so it's really cool to experiment with everyone and really see their personalities shine through their fighting. After CS the story gets pretty convoluted, but otherwise it's a really cool and interesting game.

16. ninJAS

ninJAS Proud new daddy!

O_O
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11.8
    Ultra Ball
    I have to recommend Quest 64 for anyone who enjoys RPG style adventure games. Decent story line, interesting combat/enemies, and great graphics and sound for the time period (1998 Nintendo 64).

From ING - "The story of this 3D RPG follows the adventures of Brian, a young adventuring boy who has the unique power to manipulate nature, and has been anointed as a guardian of humankind, a so-called Spirit Tamer. Equipped with a large list of magic spells, Brian can alter and control four nature spirits -- earth, water, fire, air -- to his liking, and to the disappointment of his enemies. For example, you can mix earth and fire to create a lava spell. These talents are sorely needed, as Brian battles the Master Wizard who has stolen the mystical volume of the spirit tamers and is throwing the land into darkness and spiritual chaos. During his quest, Brian will encounter many towns in peril, people looking for "something," and big, bad boss monsters that want to do him in."

The game itself is fairly simplistic compared to modern RPG titles making it a great first game for RPG beginners looking to get into the genre without being thrown into a game with tons of screens and management requirements. No money is earned in game and despite there being taverns and shops there is nothing you can actually buy so all your items must me found or given to you by NPCs. Makes item management fairly important without being super taxing as you can heal health with spells and regen mana simply by walking out of combat.

17. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    Dome Fossil ★★★Premier Ball ★Darkinum Z ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time
    Kind of an older one at this point, but damn was this fun to play. I loved the story and there was just so much to do, it kept me entertained for quite some time.
    It is, however, a Playstation exclusive, so you'll have to have a PS3 or a Playstation Now subscription (echh)

18. RegionRunner150

RegionRunner150 PKMN Breeder

All of You
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽63.5
    Leaf Stone ★★★Amulet Coin ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I'll always recommend the Kingdom Hearts series to anyone who hasn't played it. The entire franchise can be bought with a PS4 bundle pack. The only exceptions are the 2 original DS titles, but honestly you're not missing much. The story gets confusing but if you need an explanation there's plenty of videos explaining who characters are and I'm always willing to explain things.

If hack-n-slash games aren't your cup of tea, I'd really recommend Shovel Knight for those of you which haven't played it, its a platformer title in the spirit of classic NES games and I love it to death.

19. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 33
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,004.5
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    *deep breath*
    - The Mario&Luigi RPG games - minus Paper Jam. If you enjoy Mario but hate the simple storylines, here you go. I excluded PJ because that one doesn't have that kind of complexity.
    - EARTHBOUND. There's even an online version that works wonderfully.
    - Kirby Star Allies or Planet Robobot... if you like cute things with a side of easiness and dark stuff.
    - If you like cute and fluffy platformers, Kirby's Epic Yarn!
    - Splatoon. Just... Splatoon.
    - If you're into exploration and gimmicky kind of stuff, Pikmin!
    - If you're into open-world exploration, Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, or A Hat In Time! The last two games are platformers, and excellent ones at that.
    - If you just want some good-old multiplayer casual gaming, Mario Kart.
    - For the Smash fans, Brawl. IT HAS A STORY MODE, OKAY?!

Yes, I am a Nintendork. FIGHT ME.

20. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,794.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Monster Hunter World, if you've never played a game from the MH franchise before this game is very beginner friendly with good tutorial that blends gameplay and teaching fairly well, plus unlike previous games in the series don't take 10 hours to get to the monster fights.

Final Fantasy XIV, this is a MMO with a subscription fee just a heads up. Is lore heavy and focuses on story the story gets increasingly better at you progress imo. You can join and make FFXIV's version of guilds called free companies but you don't have to as is a game where you can actually do most alone minus dungeons but is usually easy to get parties without having to ask complete strangers.