1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Game reviews and reviewers

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Halcyon Storm, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    Nowadays, review scores are insanely important for creators. Not just for movies and tv shows, but probably most of all for game developers. Imagine putting blood, sweat and tears into a game for years on end, only to be met with an awful review, written by some guy who just happened to have a bad day. It's just one person giving their opinion, but if they get enough attention, your sales might suffer massively.

How do you deal with reviews? Do you read up on reviews before buying a game, or do you trust on your own intuition? Maybe you're a reviewer yourself, and already know what to look for in a game before you buy it. And to those using reviews a lot, what are some (in your opinion) good and trustworthy reviewers, and who should you never trust?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I have to say I usually rely on my gut but I will read reviews or look up reviews on youtube. If it is mostly negative I probably won't get it but a lot of the time I do it anyway. I usually steer away from IGN scores, etc scores since those can be bought and have been in the past. I do my best to look at Amazon reviews with verified purchases since those are non-biased people usually (not always) who have played the game

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    If I'm considering whether to delve into a new game or series I don't have any knowledge about, I will do two specific things: (1) not read anyone's reviews on it anywhere, and (2) ask people who I know and converse with who have played said game.

Everyone's experience with a video game is, necessarily, different. How I approach video games is not how you do, is not how your neighbour does, and so on. When I'm trying to research a game, I will seek out only facts about the game, like how it's played, what it's about, basic concepts behind the gameplay, and so on. If I ask for opinions, it will be at the end of my inquiry, if at all. The reason for this is because I want to make an informed decision based on how the game is played, not based on others' opinions and experiences about it.

I realise this sounds rather strange coming from me, as I have written several game reviews here on Lake Valor before. Indeed, my philosophy above spills into my reviews - they are factual in nature, and keep opinions (if any) compartmentalised and saved until the end, so as to not be a major factor in the decision-making process. "I liked it, but you're not me, so you might not like it. Instead I'll tell you how the game works and what it's about, and let you decide." I need to keep myself consistent, and that's how I do it.

4. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I used to review and I noticed that the higher a game is scored usually the more it only focusses on the good points, hiding potential downfalls. However, if the majority of the reviews is positive you can trust them. Otherwise, try and look for one that scores around the middle of the scale, they usually discuss both good and bad points.

5. Crest

Crest Hex Maniac

Tirion
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽198.0
    Sometimes I'll look up reviews before I pick up a game that I don't know anything about, but I'll still check out gameplay videos and do bits of research before fully deciding on whether or not to buy it. A lot of my favorite games have mostly "meh" or "questionable" reviews on them in general, though, so every now and then I'll just wing it and check out a title I've never played before for myself, since there's always the chance that I'll find the game a lot more enjoyable than word of mouth made it out to be.