1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Games That Make You Want to Talk to NPCs

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Wizard, Jun 25, 2024.

1. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Pansage
    (Pansage)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,931.6
    As I started playing Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door yesterday, I quickly discovered that NPCs in the game have interesting and funny things to say and, in many cases, unique backstories and character details. This led to me walking around and meeting as many NPCs as possible.

Are there any games that make you want to talk to every NPC? What is the driving force that causes you to do this in those games? Is there any reward for doing so?

Answer continued:
    It's rare that I find a game that has NPC dialogue interesting enough to get me to slow down and talk to everybody. I don't necessarily need a reward from this dialogue, but I want the dialogue to be worthwhile. Skyrim is probably the first game that comes to mind in this discussion. Many of Skyrim's quests are found behind NPC dialogue, thus encouraging the player to talk to everybody they encounter. This game also benefits from having fun voice acting and silly, if not memorable, dialogue.

I don't need to be deeply rewarded for talking to NPCs. I just want to find something interesting and to experience something of worth, even if it's just a funny little line of dialogue.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,844.1
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    When people think of interesting NPC dialogue people always mention Earthbound. The game has a strong localization and is full of quirky one liners from even the most insignificant NPCs in every corner of the game’s world. Many games inspired by Earthbound like Omori, Undertale, and Deltarune carry this tradition.

A more obscure answer is the Anodyne series. They’re surreal 2D Zelda inspired games filled with strange NPCs that always have something equally strange to say. Even on replays I still enjoy going back to them and rereading them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 37
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,638.7
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I always liked the Golden Sun games for this. You even end up talking to them twice, once out load, and once with the mindread ability.

4. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,100.7
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    pokémon because sometimes they give you items :D

but really i talk to everyone and everything in all the games i play LMAO so maybe i'm not a good example for a thread like this

#4 Jun 28, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2024