1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Games you didn't expect to like but ended up loving

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Dawn, Aug 12, 2018.

1. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Pokémon conquest. I always loved Real time strategy games for being so complex and fun in the resource management to battle. When Pokémon conquest came around though, it wasn't a real time strategy, it was a turn based strategy which I had always disliked the genre for its lack of realism, turned based pacing, and the inability to use terrain in anything but stat modifiers. So when Pokémon conquest rolled around, I was reluctant to play it and only did it under the assumption that it was Pokémon and Pokémon was a fun turn based strategy. After a while of playing it however, I began to love the game and the style of game play. There was no definitive moment when I feel in love with the game, more a slow burn that made me like it more and more the more I unlocked things. Now I love the game and its my favorite Pokémon side game. I'm still resistant to turn based strategies (primarily because I still love resource management in battle), but I'm at least aware that I can have fun with them and wont reject them outright.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Jupjami likes this.
  2. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,138.7
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I got a DS game for Christmas when I was 7 or 8 called The Legendary Starfy and I remember looking at the box, confused, thinking “what is this supposed to be?” (then again, I pretty much only knew what Pokémon was, so I didn’t know if I would like it.) I played through it and I loved it. Cute characters, not too challenging gameplay. It’s a fun game for new gamers (like myself that many years ago). I replayed through it recently and it was so nice to relive the memories.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Halo 5 is a new one I can add to my very short list. After playing through the rest of the series back-to-back and being thoroughly fed up with the wasted potential of the narrative and truly awful characterisation - which reached a new low in Halo 4 with the heavily forced Cortana/Chief shipping - I was expecting more of the same from Halo 5.

What I got was a game with perfectly balanced weapons - FINALLY! - a lack of awful vehicle controls, and a plot twist that was thoughtfully executed and actually added some much needed character depth. It also tied up some loose ends left dangling since Halo 3 and got me interested to see where the franchise will go from here. It's by no means an original story, but it was well told, and that's the main thing.

4. Thechaosmaster

Thechaosmaster Keeper of Chaos

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽14.9
    Potion ★Poké Ball ★
    Let's see, a game that I didn't expect to like, but now I do? Hmm, tough choice, I guess I'll have to say, Bendy and the Ink Machine. I mean, I watched people play it, but I didn't think I would enjoy it, but, I do. Not gonna attempt the no death challenge though.

5. Katanaeyegaming

Katanaeyegaming #FEARTHEWYVERN

Darklit
    (Liepard)
    Level 44
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,810.3
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    Nioh 2.

I love action RPGs to hell and back don't get me wrong but I got this game shoved down my throat by a friend until eventually buying it.

Well I should slap my past self for not liking it because the game is fantastic and certainly one of my best recent gaming purchases

6. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,046.5
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Cat Quest, I expected it to be an okay, cute and short little time sink. Turned out I ended up loving the game, there was more to it than I thought.

7. Katanaeyegaming

Katanaeyegaming #FEARTHEWYVERN

Darklit
    (Liepard)
    Level 44
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,810.3
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    Another big one. Pokémon unite.

I think I might be addicted to freezing the world over with alolan please help

Jupjami likes this.