1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Gen 1 is the BEST, Everything Else SUCKS!

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Almandine-G, Nov 5, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Almandine-G

Almandine-G All Men Are Equal

Eggu-Sama
    (Odd Egg)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽25.4
    Obviously not my opinion haha, but a few people do say this. Gen 1 is where the games started after all, and at the time were astonishing pieces of work that stood out due to their inventive idea and captivating playstyle. Of course, now that we're some 17-20 years ahead of the release, it's safe to say these games have aged quite a fair bit. My question to you guys is what's your take on these games? Do you think they're still the best in the series, or would you say that they're trash? Or perhaps you love them because of the nostalgia they bring! Whatever your reasons, let us know your opinions on the games that started it all!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Aironic

Aironic PKMN Breeder

PokéPoints:
    ₽40.0
    I think gen 1 was pretty cool! but not the best thing nowadays, imagine in the future when we see gen 6 as gen 1.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Garudarocks

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.0
    Honestly, since it wasn't the first generation, I doubt that'll happen. Plus, it's super easy to play 1st gen with emulators, so I don't see it just going away.

4. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    Generation 1 will always have the fact that it set the foundation for all the other generations. However, I think that just praising it because it is the first is a bit ridiculous. Every following generation has brought something new to the table. I think its true that since Gen1 set the standards early on, it receives less criticism due to nostalgia. There will always be those people who will belittle new generations, but honestly those same people just don't like anything new or don't give them a chance. If you think about it, all the advancements from each generation made Pokémon the wonderful series that it is today and if nothing but Gen 1 existed, it surely wouldn't be as renown as it would be nowadays.

Crystal Silverdust likes this.
  5. Noa

Noa Camper

PokéPoints:
    ₽119.1
    You almost got me there. Gen 1 obviously holds lots of great memories but it is far from the best game. It was really impressive for its time, but it was still very raw and unrefined. Playing it again drives me crazy just because of the lack of mechanics that were introduced later one. I enjoyed FRLG more.
    I don't mean to trash RBY though, I love them. I just can't stand people who say they are the best ones without trying anything else. The franchise has improved immensely!

6. Crystal Silverdust

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    Competitively Gen 1 was terribly unbalanced and had very few mechanics compared to the later Generations. There was hardly any means to customize your Pokémon. Now there are EVs, IVs, Hidden Power, Abilities, Physical Special split, and far more items and moves to use so you can be unique and creative. I think Pokémon reached its peak during Gen 5. The rest is just preference based and we've even lost certain features too here and there.

7. Nate

pooper scooper
    (Meltan)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.9
    These games are so broken and unbalanced it's gross. As games to play for nostalgia that's fine but they are NOT the best. I actually haven't heard much of this lately so that's good.

8. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    I really do love he first generation because of all the nostalgia. What I really love about it that not everything is laid out for you and you actually have to work hard to complete the game. There were no running shoes, and let's face it. The meta was super broken, but it brought so much lore and interest. I really thought the were great games. They aren't the best games in the franchise, but they really did well being the first games.

9. DragonNiro

DragonNiro Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    Though Gen 1 started it all, I believe the future generations blow it out of the water due to fixing all the problems that Gen 1 had, like the amount of glitches, bugs and broken Pokémon for example, and making it fair. Plus the added content and features would make Gen 1 look horrible if it was released today.

But, I don't hate it. It's where my first Pokémon game was from. Can't wait for the re-release on 3DS!

10. ✯Ho-OhLugia✯

✯Ho-OhLugia✯ Pokemon Masters

PokéPoints:
    ₽132.0
    Trash? Which Pokémon fan would call these games trash? I've never played them, nor have I played FRLG, but they still hold a dear place in my heart for being the games that started it all! But I do find it annoying how people think that Generation 1 is the best and the newer games ruin the series. Pokémon is supposed to be different in every generation, bringing diversity to the series. I can't wait to download them on eShop these coming months, even if the graphics aren't all that good.

11. ShiroLugia

ShiroLugia ✂ No Longer Human.

PokéPoints:
    ₽478.5
    Amen to that, I'm glad no one is priding themselves on being a "Gen Wunner" here. I don't really understand how anyone can believe, even now that Generation I was and forever will outweigh all the Pokémon games. It's all a matter of opinion! Sure, it was the foundation of the series we all know and love, but let's be real, anything first starting off is good, but not without faults. Some games even now have some mishaps and clunky bits, but hey, nothing is perfect! Even Gen I had 20% of it's population as poison types guys, that's not very awesome. So all in all, every Pokémon generation has its pros and cons. Yes. Even your precious Gen I.

12. MrTimtendo

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    I really couldn't stand playing Gen 1 lol. The biggest turn off? Inventory limit. Running out of Space for Key items and TMs are the worst! X__x

I have some nostalgia with it, and I remember using Butterfree every run (have it use Confusion) to beat Brock lol. Never chose Charmander as my starter since he already has issues with the first 2 Gyms. But honestly, playing Gen 1 didn't feel all that enjoyable to me, it just felt a bit tedious and hasn't aged well.

I especially hate when people get upset with the designs of later generations for being "uncreative" and "slapping eyes onto an object" (Vanillite is an example) but Gen 1 also had its share (Grimer is a pile of slime, Voltorb is a Pokéball, etc.)

I did however, love FR/LG MUCH better for being updated and not having a 20 item inventory limit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.