1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Gen 8 & Pokémon Amiibo

Discussion in 'Switch Pokémon Games' started by Achromatic, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    So, it's very possible that Gen 8 might support Pokémon Amiibo, and we might even see some new ones. Is this something you would enjoy or something you're against?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I would love to see Amiibos that allow you to use special Z-move esc power or to tap in Pokédex entries. Maybe for each one you tap, you can gain a copy of the Pokémon or store a Pokémon for fast gifting and trading.

What I don't want to see is amiibos containing Pokémon you can only get inside by purchasing. Such as unique move Pokémon or legends locked behind paywalls.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Haunted Ditto

Ditto
    (Ditto)
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽775.5
    Oran Berry ★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    I would love to see Amiibos for a Pokémon game, but the Amiibo hype is kinda dead so I don't think that Nintendo will publish some. I was already confused why USUM don't support Amiibos. They could give you Things like a 5% shiny boost or something else.

4. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    I am going to pray to any deity that will listen that this does not happen. The nice thing about Pokémon titles is that they are complete experiences in and of themselves - no DLC, no add-ons, no mess and no fuss. Sure, the timed-exclusive events are annoying and thoroughly outdated considering the existence of Wifi distribution, but most of the Pokémon distributed this way you CAN get in game still.

Amiibo are basically physical DLC, and for Pokémon games - where they could potentially make OVER 1000 of the things if you count alternate formes, and you KNOW they would - it'd be horrific. They'd have to be worth the money, meaning they would probably spawn Pokémon, or outright give them to you. Amiibo-exclusive Pokémon would probably be a thing and acquiring those ones would be an absolute nightmare, because Nintendo deliberately provide limited stock to drive up demand of their products; they have done this many, MANY times in recent years. The sheer number of them would make finding and acquiring the ones you wanted its own kind of battle.

I am very worried this could be a thing, given Nintendo's utterly backwards and infuriating mentality to business and video gaming in general these days. Very, very worried. I really do NOT want this to happen.

One thing this topic reminds me of is the old e-card readers and Pokémon e-cards, though. Whilst that would be its own kind of hell - I've done the whole trading card thing and I am NOT eager to repeat the experience of buying individual cards for sets etc. - and has some precedent with the AC Amiibo cards, I think this would be a more likely approach, if they decide to implement it.

Aalacer likes this.