1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Geographical locations in fictional universes

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Halcyon Storm, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    A bit of a convoluted title, but basically I'm talking about any place, whether it's a country, village, city, forest, street or whatever else, that has a specific name. How do you come up with these? And how do you make sure that it "sounds good"?

Personally I'm currently working on a story that I'm really liking, but I've gotten to the point where I'm going to have to call places by name, and I have absolutely no clue where to even begin. Any advice?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    Depends. Sometimes I’ll have the name relate to something in that location and others are completely different.

For example; I’m having to say the locations of many of the towns surrounding Cerulean City. They all have widely different names with no direct relation, but the common denominator they have is that all those sub-cities are ones around Oakland, California. Concord, Hayward, Orinda and Albany.

Best place to start for you is to find something to relates to the location and base it off that. You can even do a portmanteau to mix things up!

Just let me know if you need additional help. I’ll be more than happy to pitch in if I have an idea what you’re trying to name.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Laserdragon14 likes this.
  3. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I try to think of a name that is somehow thematic to the place - either what it represents, where it's located, some sort of geographic feature that it's known for...you get the idea.
    Off the top of my head, if I think up a name for a place that's, say, 'Brightfall', that could mean that it's a place that gets a lot of contact with the sun, has a lot of lights or vibrant night life, is near to a glistening waterfall that shines day or night (or just night or whatever), or to really stretch it, that there's an old folklore passed through the ages that an angel fell down here once a very long time ago, causing such-and-such an event.

It's a rather simplistic approach, I know, but I think it helps. The simpler you can keep the name, the better (in my opinion), because it allows you to be much more open-ended. And there are a lot of two-syllable words (or two-word portmanteaus) out there.

4. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I name my cities like I name my names, I throw letters at the screen until something sticks. Generally I get a lot of weird unique names, but they all seem to relate to what the city is known for in some way or another. One such example of a name is Lurious. I just threw letters and that is what I got for a town name.

5. dangokura

dangokura what is happening ;w;

Mythical eggo
    (Celebi Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.2
    like everyone’s said, name it according to how the place is like or throw letters until it sticks! i do both a lot when i name places.
    you could also do something like what pokémon does - for example, each country / region has a theme (eg. kanto’s theme is colour), thus saving you from having to waste time thinking up more creative names! however, it would be better if the name of the place also relates to the place itself (eg. cerulean city, cerulean = blue = water, water-type gym in cerulan city etc) :)

6. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    I try to name it after either some of it's surroundings or in an honor of a character/person.

7. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    If you're using a setting similar to a real world location, you could look at how people in those locations name their cities and things and use those naming conventions for your own things. I reread the Eragon series while my internet was out and realized there are a lot of norse names for the human cities in that setting, which I hadn't noticed before because the last time I read it was probably before I played Skyrim and I didn't know much about it before then.

For me personally I usually pick a name that describes something about the location. A city in the story I'm writing right now is called Blackthorn because its located on a mountain made of black stone. I used to name all of my cities after the Latin translation of their primary characteristic. I still do this occasionally, more as a placeholder than anything else. You could always use placeholders until finding a name you like. Naming locations is a lot like naming a character. It's just finding something that fits.

8. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    With me, it depends. If it were for a region of the Pokémon games, I'd look at naming themes, like how Kanto's towns all have something to do with colors and Johto's seem to have something to do with plants. Anything else? I'm kind of stuck trying to brainstorm names.

9. Geroniny

Geroniny The Spacecraft Of Miracle

Azure
    (Kyogre)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽771.9
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Blue Orb ★★★★★Charizardite X ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    You Can Use The Real Places Or The Places From Another Fictional Books As Inspiration.
    For Example In My Case ,'The Dreamworld's Center City' Is Based Of 'New Mouse City' From Geronimo Stilton Animated Series.

10. UnstoppableGamer

UnstoppableGamer Attention Seeker~

(Azelf)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,435.0
    Great Ball ★★Poké Ball ★Dome Fossil ★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★
    I give them a name that means something regarding their land. An example is in my D&D world, a country is named Partum. It's a steampunk/magitek heavy land with lots of inventors running around. Partum is a form of Partus, which means birth/create in latin.

Another, more simple name from my Pokémon Fanfic is the town of Shade. It's a very criminal centric area covered by a mountain's shadow.

So my recommendation is to find meanings corresponding to what makes the place special and to search for words that have that meaning that you like.

11. HeroofFire101

HeroofFire101 Stirlingite

Ember
    (Quilava)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,660.4
    I have two fictional villiages/towns. One is Blazewood because it is in a forest filled with a special type of fictional magical trees called Blazewood trees, and that's in a fictional world filled with magic. The other one is from my Minecraft world called Cricket Town, because I thought it was silly but easy town name to say. It helps that my brother hates it too.

12. warriorseadra

warriorseadra PKMN Breeder

Mythical Egg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽168.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    If it’s an original world, then I think about a word that encompasses the place. This might entail the culture, language, religion, etc of the place. I then go on google translate and find a cool sounding translation of said word. Truthfully, I do the same for names as well.