1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Going Retro.

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by ShiroLugia, Sep 8, 2016.

1. ShiroLugia

ShiroLugia ✂ No Longer Human.

PokéPoints:
    ₽478.5
    Twiddles thumbs, so after us screaming passionately on the discord server, I felt this was appropriate...

You guys have some games from the early 2000s or earlier you'd love to go back to? Any game systems?

Because hoooly shit I miss those old Mario Tennis games, Wario Ware and even Shadow the Hedgehog was pretty funny to play.

I really miss the Gamecube, the true alpha system</3

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    LunarRabbitPikachu likes this.
  2. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life for the GC. I can't believe how many hours I spend on that game.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    ShiroLugia likes this.
  3. Doomhound

Doomhound
    (Houndour)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽77.7
    Its the biggest thing in the house I currently live in- Super Smash Bros for the Nintendo64. There are probably 10 guys who will be up for a few games if you just ask, and before and after any meal there's a good chance you'll find people playing. A cast of 10 characters and only 1 stage that's "fair enough" but we still have a ton of fun playing it.

4. Mimic

Mimic Tuber

PokéPoints:
    ₽64.7
    As I am not too old, I'd like to get my Ps2 to work again, just to play Sonic Heroes & Crash Bandicoot Tag Team Racing again, even though they were just after 2000. They were my favourite games :p

5. ShiroLugia

PokéPoints:
    ₽478.5
    OHHH MY GODDD I LOVED HM A WONDERFUL LIFE!! I sadly never got to play the 64 smash... and all the old sonics were so great. Wasn't A wonderful life a really sad game though?? I thought so. It was too real.

DID ANYONE ELSE PLAY THAT GAME CALLED AMAZING ISLAND AS A CHILD

6. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,871.5
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I always loved the Golden Sun games, for the gameboy advanced. In my mind they are the definition of RPG, even though there are man thers out there that are more popular. I also love pikmin for the Gamecube, and Kirby and the Amazing Mirror for Gameoy advanced.

Eclipse likes this.
  7. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,983.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Let's see how about some of the really old ones like Pac Man and Tetris. I played those a lot as a kid and I'm thinking about playing them again I couldn't get enough of either of them I generally loved those old arcade games as a kid and I still do.

8. ShiroLugia

PokéPoints:
    ₽478.5
    DDDUUUDE PIKMIN WAS MY FAV I PLAYED THE HECK OUT OF THAT.

And ooo the tetris for gameboy color right? I can't get enough of the music. I actually bought the game for 5$ at a market. What kinds of old arcade games did you like?

9. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,983.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    No even further back the Tetris for the first GameBoy. I played the heck out of that game as a kid even if I wasn't that good. I also played some that were older Pac man and Tetris was just my favorites. I played a game where you controlled a car that could shoot if it collected power ups. I don't remember what that game was called tho but that was from before the GameBoy back when they started making handheld arcade games.

10. Trent29193

Trent29193 School Kid

PokéPoints:
    ₽38.9
    I would definitely love to go back and beat some of the Genesis and N64 games I played as a child, but at the same time I hardly have enough time to play the newer games I've been getting (and should probably stop getting). At the very least, I'd love to get a Sonic the Hedgehog 2 :B: under my belt.

11. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    You are now officially my favourite person for today.

As the Golden Sun series is my favourite video game series, and has remained as such for over 10 years (since the moment I acquired a copy of the first game, actually), this is definitely one I go back to time and again. It's one of a handful of games I make it a habit to play every few months through, to keep it fresh and exciting, and to not pass out of memory. (Speaking of which, I need to start a Dark Dawn playthrough sometime soon.)

Other titles I own that I have done this with are:

:: The Ace Attorney series, titles 1-4. Strictly speaking I know they aren't too 'retro', as Apollo Justice was released...2007 or so?...but they have the retro feel about them.
    :: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. Probably my next favourite video game right behind Golden Sun, and I acquired it about the same time too (early 2005, I think). Sometimes Bowser's Inside Story falls under this umbrella as well, but I don't think any M&L RPG has aged as well as the first title.
    :: Fire Emblem (Blazing Sword). Really, who doesn't have this game in the GBA repertoire? This doesn't happen as often to me as I end up taking breaks partway, which throws off my pacing, but it's there and always waiting for me.
    :: All three of the Legend of Zelda GBC titles. I'm not sure if it's because these are the only Zelda games I like, or because I like the variety of the locales, but the Wind Fish, the Rod of Seasons, and the Harp of Ages have a special place in my memories.

...And I won't even begin to name all of the Windows 95 computer games I have retained from since I was a child.
    Sadly a few of them don't run perfectly on newer machines (oddly enough it's all because they can't find a specific sound driver file, because the file name is different than what it recognises), so one of the things on my to-do list is trick the programs into running despite this (especially since one such game that won't run this way is my favourite game ever).

Or set up a partition on the hard drive for a separate OS. I suppose that would work too.

12. Almandine-G

Almandine-G All Men Are Equal

Eggu-Sama
    (Odd Egg)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽25.4
    As a kid my whole life was Pokémon. As an adult it's still Pokémon, and one game I'd dearly love to go back to playing some day is Firered. It was my first, but I've never had the opportunity to transfer my mons off it onto later games which makes me a lil sad. Hopefully one day I'll get that privilege...

In terms of other games though I'd have to say LoZ Twilight Princess and Spectrobes. I never played much of TP but I was always bewitched when I saw others in my family play it. It was the first Zelda I'd ever seen, and as a kid I was just wowed by the game, so I'd really like to go back some day to play it. Meanwhile in the case of Spectrobes, I just have a lot of fond memories of that game. The shame was it took me till I was, what, 16/17 to actually beat the game (I got stuck on this one boss and got really annoyed by it haha). When I was lil the game was just this amazing lump of awesome that I enjoyed playing whenever I could, I got really into the fossil excavation and battle system of it so I would spend ages playing with both.

13. ✯Ho-OhLugia✯

✯Ho-OhLugia✯ Pokemon Masters

PokéPoints:
    ₽132.0
    As I was born in 2001, I could never experience the feeling of when a retro game has come out. BUT what Nintendo HAS done for us is create the eShop, where retro games can be played! I cleared the original Kid Icarus 3 times, and that was very difficult to do.

However, if it counts, I always go back and play original DS games like Diamond and Pearl because of the nostalgia they offer and the fact that they never become boring once played.

14. Buttstrudel

Buttstrudel Supporter

PokéPoints:
    ₽552.8
    @[member="ShiroLugia"] I miss MarioKart Double Dash and yeah the mario sports games were the best mainly the soccer and tennis ones.

15. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    I'm appalled that this wasn't mentioned sooner. The game I have in mind was the pinnacle of human gaming and nothing we make, unless we remaster it in full, proper HD glory, will never surpass it.

That's right.

I'm talking about Ape Escape. I don't know what about it was so charming and addicting, but it was my favorite game as a kid. I'd honestly love for it to get a remake, it was so much fun!

Buttstrudel likes this.
  16. LunarRabbitPikachu

LunarRabbitPikachu Angel of the Moon

Saura
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37.7
    Moon Ball ★★★★Poké Ball ★GS Ball ★★★★★Mario Mushroom ★
    Oh man, where do I start for this... lol

I have a whole bunch of games that are in the early 2000's (some are even older) that I would love to go back and play again:

The NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) along with:
    Super Mario Bros.
    Duck Hunt
    Legend of Zelda
    Tetris

The Sega Genesis along with:
    Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2, & 3
    Aladdin
    Sonic & Knuckles

Nintendo 64 along with:
    Donkey King 64
    Super Smash Bros.
    Pokémon Staduim 1 & 2
    Super Mario 64
    Mario Party 2
    Pokémon Snap
    Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Playstation:
    Spyro the Dragon

Gamecube along with:
    Sonic Adventure DX
    Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
    Mario Party 4 & 7
    Paper Mario & the Thousand Year Door
    Super Smash Bros. Melee
    Monkey Ball 2
    Pokémon Channel
    Pokémon Colosseum
    Pokémon X.D

Playstation 2:
    Shadow the Hedgehog
    Kingdom Hearts 2

Not going to list the hand held consoles because those have even longer list. o-o'

Out of the games I've played, I like the Gamecube games the best. Those were a lot of fun to play with especially Sonic Adventure DX & Sonic Adventure 2 Battle.

17. Buttstrudel

Buttstrudel Supporter

PokéPoints:
    ₽552.8
    @[member="Satix"] I dont know if i've ever played the first Ape Escape but i did play the second one alot and omg i loved the mini games in that game. I know you can buy the game on the playstation store though on PS4 so i might do that sometime just to relive one of my favorite games.

18. ConfettiCat

ConfettiCat ( ☞ゝω・)☞

PokéPoints:
    ₽564.8
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    I want to get back to playing Earthbound, I really miss it.

19. BlackSmithy

BlackSmithy Memelord Supreme

Naked Boi
    (Burmy (Cloakless))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽203.1
    Poké Ball ★Staff of VerityPhilosopher's CowlCrown of Valor
    Super Mario World (the port for GBA lol)

I played the crap out of that :D

I didn't play this when I was younger but I did play it when I was older- Pokémon Crystal for GBC. I lost the cartridge a while ago and I miss it so much :')

20. DiancieIsBae

Merio12
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽187.0
    Yache Berry ★★Amulet Coin ★★★Skull Fossil ★★★
    Technically cheating, but I play Metroid Prime Trilogy on my WiiU occasionally. And also Metroid Fusion for GBA.

And during 8th grade, every weekend I would go downstairs and play StarFox 64 (all routes) on my N64.