1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Ground Type Opinions?

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Pizza Bandit, Apr 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pizza Bandit

Pizza Bandit Black Belt

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    Okay, so Ground has been my favorite type for a while now. Was looking at a blog the other day, and the poster brought up a good point: a few of the Ground Pokémon don't really make sense being classified as Ground.

Some of them, such as Sandshrew and Sandslash (love these two!) simply live on the ground/ in deserts, but aside from that they aren't mentioned as having any specific elemental ability. The blog brought up Cubone and Marowak, who could very well be classified as Normal type, since they too have no connection with ground (unless you make some connection with the bones they wear and the fact that bones decompose into the ground). Or Donphan, whose Pokédex entries state it is strong enough to wreck a house with Tackle, but don't mention anything to do with dirt or the earth.

To sum it up, the blog suggested all Ground Pokémon could be split up between either Normal type or Rock type. Now that I think about it, I guess this is true. There's a few Normal types that are similar to Ground designs such as Kangaskhan and Dunsparce. If Nidoqueen and Nidoking can be part Ground, why can't Kangaskhan? Now, of course, Game Freak couldn't get rid of a type this late in the series without throwing off all the type matchups.

Anyway, what do you guys think about this? Personally, I never thought about it before, but it does make sense. I've loved Ground since I trained my first Sandshrew in the old Silver game, so I'm kind of biased. I want to hear what you guys think. Do you feel the type is unnecessary?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bubbie

bubbie Sassmaster

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    ground type is one of my favorite types too, and for me these typings make sense because ground is less "rocky" than rock type. if you think about it, most ground types don't really resemble a ground in much sense, like you've mentioned. i see it more as heavier Pokémon that can manipulate the ground, so to speak, or as you stated, Pokémon that live in the ground to a point where they've learned to harness and manipulate it, if that makes sense? in any case, i believe most Pokémon who have the ground typing deserve their title. think of it wort of in bending terms (avatar geekiness, i know XD) these Pokémon were given the ability to manipulate the earth, and that's why they're deemed ground types.

the same could be said of fighting types, really, they're just like normal types but they have the inclination to fight physically, and yet the type is there and completely justified. it adds balance to the game and makes it more enjoyable.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Jathemon

Jathemon Hex Maniac

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    I agree. I always thought that Rock and Ground types should've been combined into an Earth type. Some of them seem like they were just made a Ground type, simply because they felt like there weren't enough, of that typing. Don't get me wrong, I love Ground types....I do agree that some of them don't really make sense, though.

4. Potatrobot

Potatrobot Resident Potato

PokéPoints:
    ₽42.0
    Ground can sometimes refer to just dirt or sand; it's a more refined version of rock. Some Pokémon don't seem 'rocky' enough, so they get the ground type. Some get the ground type because they're around it all the time, or because their bodies are solid but also contain more refined soil (referring to Onix and Geodude).

But then some types just don't make sense. I don't understand why the Gothita line is psychic rather than dark, when Goth is a very edgy concept, almost the embodiment of dark.

5. Pizza Bandit

Pizza Bandit Black Belt

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    Hmm, just realized something else as well: Sandstorm is a Rock move. I wonder why, since I think flying sand would be closer to Ground than Rock.

Oo, I like the Avatar explanation. :D That makes a lot of sense.

Yup, I kept thinking it was a Dark type when I saw it in Black and White for the first time.

6. Potatrobot

Potatrobot Resident Potato

PokéPoints:
    ₽42.0
    A the very least it could have been psychic-dark. That would have been an awesome typing.

7. Snivinerior

Snivinerior Poké Maniac

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.1
    So ground and rock types are completely different types? Ohhhhhh, I never thought of that... and yeah, I agree with Gothita being a psychic rather than a dark type. Doesn't make sense, I mean, just look at it...

8. Pizza Bandit

Pizza Bandit Black Belt

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    Yeah, I know quite a few people feel they're very similar. I've always thought of Rock as being literally rock, such as Pokémon made up of boulders or who have mineral armor. Ground is related more to the earth itself, such as dirt and sand.

9. Jathemon

Jathemon Hex Maniac

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    I always thought of them as the same, because they're both part of the Earth element. Going Avatar-wise again, Earthbenders could manipulate both rock and ground. Of course, I also felt like Water/Ice types (like Lapras) seemed redundant, but eh. EH.

10. Nate

pooper scooper
    (Meltan)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.9
    I feel the ground type is very necessary due to the fact that without it Electric would have no weaknesses. Ground type helps balance thing out which is why I believe that there aren't any pointless types.

11. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    Gothitelle being pure Psychic instead of Psychic-Dark, is the same thing as Mawile being pure Steel instead of Steel-Dark... Maybe they just don't like Dark types :(

12. Shadow Blaze

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.0
    I do think Ground adds something. I don't see any reason to get rid of an entire type because most of them can be considered Normal Types. I like the idea of Ground types for Pokémon that live in deserts a lot more than I like the idea of even more Pokémon getting shoved into the "we don't know what you are" type.

13. Oim

Oim Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    I never agreed with Ground and Rock meaning the same thing. Ground encompasses desert living Pokémon, as well as those living in muddy swamps, and like Torterra for example, representative of being of the ground itself. It's my favorite overall type and there's a clear divide between Rock and Ground, and when there isn't, Pokémon are given both types. I haven't found a Ground type Pokémon yet where I disagree with the typing choice.

Shadow Blaze likes this.
  14. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    It's one of the most vital typing out there, pretty much all of them are. I wouldn't remove any types but if I had to, I'd remove Normal.

Noxity likes this.
  15. Cobalt

Cobalt I'M A HURRICANE

PokéPoints:
    ₽64.6
    I don't have that much of a problem with Ground types. I like using them, they're pretty cool. My favorites would have to be ,Flygon, Sandslash, Nidoking and Swampert. I mean, removing it would wreck the system. But some Pokémon could go without Ground typing. I would have to agree that Pokémon like Marowak don't need it, but, there's not a reason to strip those Pokémon of that typing.

16. ~Snowy~

~Snowy~ Poké Maniac

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    Garchomp is always on my team. Ground types are pretty strong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.