1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

GSC's Internal battery

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by LostSpirit, Jul 15, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    If you didn't know, back in the days of the original GSC, the gen 2 games would typically lose the ability to save in a shorter timeframe than copies of the Generation I games due to the battery storing both saved game and real-time clock data, causing it to drain quicker. However, you could replace the battery for a new one, but in case you didn't, your saved data would be erased!

For those who still have their Gen 2 games, are your batteries dead? Did you end up replacing them or did you chuck your games away never to be played again? Share some of your stories!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Catilena1890

Catilena1890 The Resident Kitty-Fox

PokéPoints:
    ₽31.0
    One of my two gold versions *don't ask how I ended up with two, it's a long story XD* gave up the ghost but the other held save data well. I dunno if it still does, but even if they both bite the dust, I'll keep them for nostalgic purposes <3.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,983.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Well I haven't checked them recently but they're probably all dry by now considering the life span for the eternal battery is said to be roughly 7 years iirc. I know my Gold version is dead since the last time I played it years ago it was unable to hold saves.

4. Garudarocks

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.0
    I gave my copy of Crystal to my gf last year and she had the same problem. I felt bad because I didn't know it had drained :(

5. Pari

Pari poyo

Andromeda
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽350.3
    My Silver copy drained really quickly, which made me sad. I haven't replaced it yet...

My Gold's going on strong though.

6. BetterThanThatOtherHydra

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    The only gen 2 games I have are Gold and two copies of Crystal. One of the Crystal cartridges doesn't work, and I tried to fix it. The Cartridge is broken for the time being.

Perhaps I should explain myself- you see, I'm not exactly a total moron who tore apart his cartridge and scratched things up with a screwdriver. I'm just a total moron who tore apart his cartridge and scratched things up with a screwdriver because I had successfully done it once before. I managed to fix my Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land cart's battery, but I just wasn't as lucky with Crystal.

Ah well, at least I have another copy. And who knows, I might one day magically gain technical skills and be able to fix the other cartridge. So yeah never

7. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    My Silver is probably locked up in my safe, and I don't think it's worth my effort to dig up it and a usable game system. But the bigger thing to me is those Pokémon are non-transferrable, Gen 2 can't be sent to Gen 3, so it's not like I can run around with Feraligatr and Pidgeot again. I think the best I can do is keep them in my thoughts and memories and re-enact the adventures on a rom.

8. Otter Mii-kun

PokéPoints:
    ₽0.0
    I traded in my Generation II games (as well as the rest of the Pokémon games I had at the time) in early 2006, so I never did get to experience not being able to save anymore on G/S/C. At times, I've regretted the decision, but knowing what I know now about this issue, it's probably a good thing I gave up those games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.