1. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Suggestion Gym Leaders Idea

Discussion in 'Support Hub' started by Wings, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 55
    PokéPoints:
    ₽249.3
    I don't think I've seen a concept like this before yet, so here goes my idea:
    Lake Valor with gym leaders.
    Eight or so people have type/theme-based teams who you can battle in exchange for medals or PP. If it's just a battle, though, it could be pretty boring, right? So what if we implemented that storyline feature that we use for Oktoberfest?

When you walk into a gym in the games, there's usually a puzzle to solve. The storyline feature could lead you through the puzzle, and you either pass the puzzle to make it to the gym leader, or you don't and you try again. There are lower-level trainers you have to beat in between the puzzle until you finally reach the leader, and then you battle for a gym badge. Gym leaders could be re-challenged possibly, for different rewards.

This idea may be a lot, so let me know if it's too much :sweat:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Socky
    (Alolan Vulpix)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽252.8
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    I like the idea, actually, but I'm not sure if it'll work. I like it though :3

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 55
    PokéPoints:
    ₽249.3
    I know it seems really ambitious. I just needed to get that idea out of my head, even if it isn’t plausible!

4. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Socky
    (Alolan Vulpix)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽252.8
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    I get it, it's always best to let out your ideas, even if they seem impossible ^^

5. Vaporstar4x4

Vaporstar4x4 Black Belt

Stephy
    (Jirachi Egg)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽62.4
    That sounds like a really cool idea ~
    I've had the idea for a ghost type gym leader for years and thinking of the different types for gym leaders and what Pokémon they would have is really fun.
    This sounds like it would be a really hard thing to implement, but it never hurts to try. The gym leaders could come up with the puzzles or ask other members to help create them. They could be based on the type of Pokémon the leader has or be based on the person's personality and how they solve problems. They also might have just a pure 1 type gym or Pokémon based on their personalities, specific themes, moves, or ones they have a special connection with.
    I think it would be a really neat thing to try out and the possibilities are endless.

6. Negative Zero

Negative Zero The most positive negative number you know!

DIZ
    (Meltan)
    Level 89
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,770.3
    Maybe I'm missing something, but how would this battle take place? A revived/polished Valor Battle? Showdown? 3DS Link Battle? Or maybe have another task that rather resembles the non-battle aspect of Alola's Trials?

The puzzle part seems great, except with the trouble that it would be super easy to share answers. One way around this could be if the puzzles were answered in groups: everyone submits their results to that gym all at once, and the correct solution is revealed and then remixed so the next month can't cheat (at easily). After all, if a member is going to only be able to gather 8-18 badges ever, having a waiting period in there isn't game-breaking.

I'll be watching this thread: I find this super intriguing.

Wings likes this.
  7. C2i

C2i Valor Veteran

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,370.1
    Not to bring down the idea, but LV had an entire section of the site dedicated to a gym system as well as a Showdown server to allow players to clallenge gym leaders. For a while it did really well, and a ton of people, like myself, were involved.

Toward the end though, it severely suffered from lack of activity from the members of the league as well as lack of challenges from non league members. This would have to be a big consideration before implementation a second time.

Wings likes this.
  8. WavePearl

Yew
    (Treecko)
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,364.0
    What if Gym Leaders popped up like Pokémon do? You would then have to do a task/quest to earn the badge.

You also couldn't do them out of order--so if Misty spawned before you got Brock to spawn, you had to get Brock to spawn, complete his quest, and then get Misty to spawn again. (using the Kanto Leaders as an example)

Wings likes this.
  9. TripleAAABattery

TripleAAABattery Look at my fluff! LOOK AT IT

Gottem
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽142.9
    This, basically. I would definitely love to be a part of the league and the league system, but I was around when they still had this going. We'd need to make sure we could get it to stick around if we tried this again.

Wings likes this.
  10. ChocoChicken

ChocoChicken A Screaming Chicken

E G G 2.3
    (Kyogre Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽61.6
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    It's an interesting idea, but it would be hard to think of how to pull it off right.

11. Momo Kisaragi

Eevee
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽49.0
    Big Nugget ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    It definitely sounds cool and would really be fun though I agree this would be rather hard to pull off.

12. Fchicken77

Fchicken77 Goddess of Ice

Plume Fossil
    (Plume Fossil)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,380.7
    Ice Stone ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    It’s a nice idea, but it might be hard to pull off. Maybe we could have more than one gym leader for each type if inactivity is a problem, though we may have to find a better battling system. I’d prefer having an original system rather than using one from a third-party website, but it also has to be efficient, unlike Valor Battle(where people just post what Pokémon and moves they use without taking stats into consideration, in case some newer users didn’t know).

Wings likes this.
  13. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 55
    PokéPoints:
    ₽249.3
    These are all good points. I don’t think LV has “battling software” and I wouldn’t want it to be implemented, just because that sounds super pricey.

The whole inactivity thing is also a big risk. I wonder if perhaps we could rotate gym leaders and have the challenges more like trials, like what @Negative Zero said.

In terms of determining gym leaders/trial captains, I think we have two options:
    So maybe each month, a certain amount of trial leaders are elected (like MOTM). They have a script for their challenge already, which involves completing tasks or puzzles in order to challenge them.

OR
    We use canon gym/trial captains and base the challenges off of their in-game challenges.
    For Mallow, steps of the trial could be catching various root seeds in order to make a stew. She won’t let you move on to the next step of the trial until you have that exact amount of root seeds to give to her. For Lana, you have to catch three water type Pokémon with her special fishing rod before Totem Wishiwashi appears.

There could be requirements for before you challenge: for example, Clair from Johto will not let you challenge her unless you bring her a Dratini.

From there, the battles... hmm... yeah, that’s definitely the most flawed part of this plan. Maybe the script writing allows you to pick from certain options when you battle depending on the type/level of Pokémon you choose.