1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Gen 2 Gym Leaders

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by ShinigamiMiroku, Sep 20, 2017.

1. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    What Gym leader (EDIT: in Gold/Silver/Crystal) was your favourite, and why? Could be lore, team, difficulty - any reason is fine. Same with your least favourite.

My favourite is Morty. Despite his rather lackluster team (and Shadow Ball being physical, making him not nearly as dangerous as he ought to be) his ties to the mysteries of Eucreteak City make him an interesting character. The same can be said for Jasmine; Steel in this time wasn't very useful, and Jasmine didn't even use all of the available Steel-types in GSC (WHERE IS FORRETRESS!?), but her connection to the Lighthouse really fleshed out her character and made her more real than most of the other leaders.

My least favourite, however, would probably be Bugsy. I like how his having Scyther makes the fight an actual challenge, but he seemed to just merely exist... I wish he had been the one to hop down the Slowpoke Well to confront Team Rocket, rather than the old man Kurt.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  2. DeleteAbsol

DeleteAbsol Absol-utely Bad

Pichu
    (Pichu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20.9
    Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    My favorite gym leader is Giovanni. This is due to him having one of the most well thought out back stories for one of the gym leaders, as well as being the leader of Team Rocket, which is honestly the best team. He also has control over one of my favorite types, ground, as his main.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    I should have specified that this covered Gold/Silver, not all seven generations, but yeah, it's kind of hard to top Gio. ^_^;

DeleteAbsol likes this.
  4. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    Crown of ValorStaff of Verity
    I'd say my favorite would probably be Clair. I always found her to be the most fascinating. Least favorite, obvious pick is obvious, Whitney. The reason? That Miltank. That monster is the whole reason it took me forever to beat her on my first try. (That and I wasn't aware of the fact that normal types were weak against fighting type attacks back then) Nowadays, this isn't too much of a problem, but back then... ugh. However, I could even forgive the Miltank if it wasn't for the tantrum she throws when you beat her. It's one thing to be upset over a loss, but to cry like a baby and act like you're a monster because you dared to be better than her... that's just irritating.

#4 Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  5. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    Whitney's infamous Miltank will be a hard one to beat for the title of Oh God Kill Me I Hate You. Vanilla, yes, accurate, also yes.
    Jasmine's lighthouse story kind if softened my heart towards her :sweat: What can I say?
    #MissingNo

6. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Jasmine! ^^ She was super sweet and nice despite being a Steel-Type trainer. Also, she and Amphy make an adorable pair :)

7. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    It's a tie between Morty and Jasmine! I love both their designs and I really need to draw them at somepoint

8. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I couldn’t agree more. Morty always felt very real with lots of connections to his home town and the side thing with the beasts. Also him being friends with Eusine was a really nice touch. It helped that I am really interested in myths.

9. VictoryStar34

SS Egg #1
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,103.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★
    SCREW YOU WHITNEY! That being said, she's probs my favourite, because the Miltank. Dear god, the Miltank...

10. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    I actually dislike Whitney because after that long fought battle where all my Pokémon were stomped by her Miltank, she had the audacity to cry about it... how dare she?! So yeah. That temper tantrum turned me off LOL

I wanna say I like Jasmine, but I think she's too much of a pushover. Still, her personality is a nice twist compared to the other gym leader's more feisty and fiery personalities. I guess Chuck is pretty cool.

11. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    Oh god Whitney... shudders that Miltank was a beast. Hopefully most people wont get screwed over by her when Gold and Silver come out tomorrow...

As for my favorite, it has to be Jasmine. I don't remember many of the Gym Leaders in Johto, to be honest, but Jasmine has always been the one I can remember. The whole connection to the lighthouse was so cool, and I think it really made her different than some of the other Leaders XDXD

12. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    Personal favorite has to be Jasmine. I was really hyped for the steel type when it came out. She has a nice caring personality, especially for Amphy and her connection to the Olivine Lighthouse gave her some story...really the first gym leader besides Clair to have it. But of course, you don't encounter Clair until much later.

As much as I hated Whitney's satanic Miltank, she actually didn't give me that hard of a time. I didn't have a big counter to ice types instead having two grass and one flying types. Pryce gave me a headache with friggin icy wind

13. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,943.7
    My favorite is Whitney. I had a crush on her when I was younger (I also had a crush on Picnicker Liz from Route 32. Young me was weird.) and I've never had any issue with her Miltank. I'm really not sure why people have such an issue.
    My least favorite is Morty. I've always felt that he was boring and bland. Most of the time I forget he even exists.

14. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    One of my favorites is actually Whitney and her Miltank, mostly because it was the game's way of telling people to stop rushing and train your team, to strategize and come up with a plan. My least favorite however is Falkner and his under-levelled Pidgeotto. Like... how is that even fair?

15. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Maybe he got it from Viridian Forest? :sweat:

But yeah, Whitney is something of that barrier that makes you really think. I mean, that Miltank can put down even the Machop you can trade for (esp. in HGSS where Machop can have No Guard, meaning that Rollout has NO chance of missing), while having the bulk to take Low Kicks and Karate Chops from it with ease. It's even worse if she uses Defense Curl before using Rollout, because that particular combination can decimate an entire team (unless Gastly is fast enough and lucky enough to get a Hypnosis off before Miltank attacks, which is rare).

SnowboundBecca likes this.
  16. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    Jasmine! Even though she uses ruthlessly strong steel types in battle, she is a very kind and caring gym leader.

17. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    Oh man I have a lot of faves from Johto

Like everyone else has said, I really like Jasmine and Morty! Jasmine is, despite training cold Steel Types, a sweet 'lil thing who cares about Pokémon, especially Amphy in the lighthouse. And Morty is just cool and they made him even cooler in HGSS with the Eusine thing. Character development!

And I'm probably the only one who actually liked Falkner in this whole thread. Love his design and his dream of carrying his father's legacy with his Pokémon because his father is canon dead as established in BW2 ;w;

Least favorite? Whitney, not because of the Milktank, but the hissy fit she throws right after you beat her. Who let you become Gym Leader if you're gonna cry after every loss?

18. CharlieWeasleyfan

Shiny Roggenrola
    (Roggenrola)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽201.2
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeRocky Helmet ★★★★★Staff of VerityExp. Share ★★
    Fav Gym leader in Pokémon Silver was Bugsy since I am a fire type user it made the simplicity of his gym a lot more fun

19. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I liked Pryce because of the story around him. They sort of went into it more in the anime, but I just liked his sort of isolationist, "Pokémon are only for battles" sort of outlook that he has prior to your battle, meaning of course that it's the player who changes his mind. In the manga it gets even better than that though. He's sort of turned into a villain with some really over the top methods and an extremely sad motivation.

20. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    @nduns

Yeah, Clair is really interesting, but her attitude really turned me off.

Which is weird, I'll admit, because I actually felt bad for beating Whitney... I know her response is rather annoying, especially how difficult her Miltank was, but I also think I had a bit of a crush on her too, so making her cry made me feel bad.

@SkittleBox

Falkner is interesting. I can't connect with him because my dad and I had a bad relationship, but I still think it's cool he's kind of stepping into his dad's shoes.

@Wolf Expert

Which would make it even crazier if he was, in fact, Pokémon GO's Professor Willow... ^_^;