1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Happy Birthday, Nintendo 3DS!

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Dawn, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    [​IMG]
    It's the little handheld that everyone hated when it was first released, and then loved once it started to pick up steam...and now wants to die because the Switch is out. On this day 8 years ago - and in two days time for those of you in the Americas - the Nintendo 3DS was released in Europe!

Having gone through 6 different iterations and sold 74.84 million units (as of December 31st 2018), whilst it is actually the least successful of Nintendo's handhelds in terms of lifetime sales, in this modern era where the console life cycle is typically much shorter than 8 years, and every analyst on the planet is raving about how smartphones are rendering handheld systems obsolete (and are now eating humble pie thanks to the Switch) it is nonetheless quite impressive that the 3DS is still going, with games still to be released this year.

Do you have a Nintendo 3DS? What are your favourite games? Is it still something you play, or have you moved on to other systems by now?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Rezna

Rezna Every Day's Great at Your Junes!

Why do eggs break ffree
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽35.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Water Stone ★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I do. I still don't like the 3ds itself, since the internet browser sucked nd that little notes thing was useless. But they did bring great games, like Fire Emblem Awakening. They had a Super Mario Maker 3ds version and like the Wii U, Virtual Console. We received the not-so-loved-but-Hey-we'll-take-it S/M/US/UM and the prodigy, OR/AS and the water frog game X/Y. We also received Fire Emblem Fates (I'm not saying all three names, that counts for all of them.)
    Oh and Mario Kart 7, a game that I bought twice and lost twice.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,269.2
    Ah, the 3ds! It definitely has one of my favorite game libraries out there. I discovered many of my favorite games because of it, such as Fire Emblem Awakening, Fire Emblem Echoes, Xenoblade Chronicles, Bravely Default, Super Smash Bros for 3ds, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Ocarina of Time 3d, a bunch of Pokémon games, and a multitude of virtual console games. While the "3d" aspect has never stood out to me as useful ot fun, this handheld has been tons of fun. It was definitely worth the purchase.

4. Aiko

Aiko Anti-Shadow Weapon

SS Egg #2
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.2
    Lure Ball ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Ultra Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    Simply because of the titles on this system and how portable it is, this system is probably my favorite console. While the 3d part of it never stood out to me, in fact I barely used it, I thought it was a cool gimmick that just wasn't really properly used. I've made so many great memories on this system and I hope to have even more, even if there aren't many new games coming out anymore. I own a special edition fire emblem fates 3ds, and I think collecting all the different models would be super cool! The galaxy one is probably my favorite though.

5. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    ::hugs her 3DS::

I remember saving up money to get one, and ended up paying a little extra to get the XL--that big screen really helped on the RPGs. When I first got it home, I noticed it made my normal DS look tiny by comparison.

6. LadySmugleaf

LadySmugleaf Cries in Poetry

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,085.9
    My first console was a DSlite and when I had a job, I got myself a 3DS. Even though I don't use the 3D part, I still enjoy it! It's way more portable than my WiiU, which means I can take it to conventions. I also enjoy the titles I can play on it- Legend of Zelda, Fire Emblem and Pokémon.

7. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,229.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    How is the 3DS 8 years old already? It still feels like 2012.

The 3DS is a system that has meant a lot to me since it's initial announcement. I remember saving up the money from a yard sale just a few months after launch (It was $250 US then) and buying Nintendogs and Cats. As limited as the library was for it's first year, the 3DS has gotten so many amazing games. Hundreds of triple A, third party, indie, and virtual console games are on this device. With backwards compatibility, you can even play most of the DS library too.

My original 3DS gave me a lot of discomfort, so I asked for a 3DS XL to accommodate. It did not disappoint. For four years, that thing gave me endless entertainment from so many games. I had used it so much that the circle pad started to wear off. For the second time, I saved up for a New 3DS XL and transferred everything over. It's the best version of the console I've owned. Better loading times, faster downloads, better 3D, and great battery life. The only things I'd change is the tiny stylus and the micro SD slot being located under two screws.

As great as the Switch is, the 3DS will always be my favorite Nintendo console.

8. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,644.3
    It's hard to believe that the 3DS is that old. Feels like it's only been a couple years. While the 3D capability itself was kind of a useless gimmick that didn't really serve much a purpose other than to drain the battery and keep the price higher than it needed to be, the system had a lot of great games on it. Pokémon especially, but a lot of major series had good entries on the system. Plus the 3DS itself was overall a great followup and successor to the DS, making a lot of improvements to the previous system.