1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Pokémon Anime Happy National Ash Ketchum day!

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Flyg0n, Sep 15, 2020.

?

Favorite Ash?

1. OG! Kanto Ash

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Gotta go with Johto!

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Hoenn all the way!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sinnoh for me!

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. Unova is my pick!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Kalos FTW!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Alola for Life!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Journeys is my boi!

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Flyg0n

Flyg0n PKMN Breeder

Mojave
    (Trapinch)
    Level 33
    PokéPoints:
    ₽365.8
    Happy National Ash Ketchum Day!
    1 year ago today (Sept 15th), the wishes of many fans' hearts were granted. Ash defeated Gladion and was crowned Champion of the Alola League!

And after that, this happened.

[​IMG]

In honor of that, I figured it would be fun to do an Ash Ketchum positivity thread! No matter how imperfect the anime can be, (and our boy Ash), he has impacted all of us somehow, especially if you grew up watching the anime.

So today, let's celebrate Ash Ketchum! Post pics, art, stories, or anything else Ash-related that suits your fancy. You can tell a story about your first memory of Pokémon/Ash, draw some special art, write a song, make a video or just CELEBRATE!*_*

For those of you who don't know where to start, I'll post some 'questions' you can answer if you want.

• Favorite version of Ash's design?
    • Favorite region (personality/story wise)?
    • Favorite of Ash's teams, overall (by region)?
    • Favorite singular Pokémon?
    • Favorite League?
    • Favorite quotes?
    • Favorite movie?
    • What was your first memory of the anime?
    • Favorite episode?
    • Are there any scenes that you still remember to this day?
    • Favorite gym battle Ash has been in?
    • Favorite non gym battle?
    • What do you feel like you have in common with Ash?
    • Coolest technique Ash pulled off?

[*]Favorite version of Ash's design? Journey's, like I mentioned
    [*]Favorite region (personality/story wise)? XY, and original but ultimately Journey's. OG Ash is special to me tho bc he roasted people
    [*]Favorite of Ash's teams, overall (by region)? XY, and Alola. Also Journeys
    [*]Favorite singular Pokémon? UUUHHHHH hard... Torracat I think. Awesome character development and character in general. And that little hack Rowlet.
    [*]Favorite League? SM&XY (even if they handled the ending weird)
    [*]Favorite quotes? Hm... Cant think of any off the top of my head from Ash. But I do love Mewtwo's quote from the 1st movie!!!!
    [*]Favorite movie? The first Pokémon Movie!!!
    [*]What was your first memory of the anime? I honestly don't know...
    [*]Favorite episode? The SM episode where Lana hooks Kyogre. SO BEAUTIFUL
    [*]Are there any scenes that you still remember to this day? Swellow's Thunder Armor from Ash vs Tate and Lize. it was RIDICULOUS
    [*]Favorite gym battle Ash has been in? Hmm... Ash vs Olympia, Ash vs Bea, Ash vs Grant... so many.
    [*]Favorite non gym battle? Gotta agree, Ash vs Paul. I did like seeing Ash's Krookodile beat Iris Dragonite though
    [*]What do you feel like you have in common with Ash? His deep love of Pokémon and his loyalty.
    [*]Coolest technique Ash pulled off? Counter Spin is dope, Thunder Armor is... something else, and Ash using Iron Tail to ground Pikachu

Naturally, you don't have to use these questions. Add your own, answer all or none, or just chat about Ash stuff!

Of course, I think it goes without saying to keep things positive and respectful :D. It is a celebration, after all.

here is a little thing I wrote that's been on my mind.

The Alola League win is in many ways, more important than anyone realizes, in my opinion. I am writing this to hopefully give some new insight and love to the league.

Like many fans, I really really really wanted Ash to win a league. Especially Kalos. He got so close, and I was so excited. Needless to say, I was a bit sad it didn't happen.

Then came Alola. Up until the very end, I didn't have much hope. Then, at the last moment, it happened. Ash countered a counter and won. the. battle. Joy filled me. After 20 years of being a die-hard Pokémon anime fan, Ash had won a league. I was just as stunned as him.

Later, I had moments of doubt. I would hear things about how his league wasn't 'good enough'. And plenty of other stuff.

Long story short, I came to realize this. The feat Ash accomplished is impressive, important, and special. Incredibly special.

Ash Ketchum became the first person ever in history to win the newly formed Alola League. This means he won't ever be 'just' another league winner, like Alain or Virgil or something. No matter who might win later, Ash will still, always and forever, be the first winner. Which means he will never be forgotten.

The writers allowed Ash to simultaneously make personal history and make actual history.

And the icing on the cake? Ash gets to go on to defeat Kukui, who is easily as strong as a member of the Elite 4, by my guess. To culminate everything? He gets to defeat a freakin LEGENDARY DEMIGOD Pokémon. By doing a flippin' Kamehameha super move with Pikachu. His starter and best friend. His PIKACHU got to take it all the way.
    Ash got to be a boss. It was extravagant, over-the-top, gorgeous and earned. In less than a year, Ash raised a team of powerful Pokémon, deepened his bonds, and explored the full extent of their power.

Ash will never be forgotten. Congratulations, 1st Ever Winner of the Alola League

Now, let's celebrate!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Jeydis likes this.
  2. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,937.8
    Love him, hate him, (or wish he would step down from the lead role already), Ash is an icon any way you slice it. And the cool part? He still has potential to grow even more.

Alola was just step one (even if it took a long and roundabout way to get there). We can only dream of what's up ahead for this hero of Pokémon.

As for my favorite Ash looks:

OG: This is a classic for a reason--and you don't mess with a classic.
    D/P: This was a very stylish look for him, especially the gold stripe on the shirt
    XY: He looks very mature in this look, and every bit the hero he is.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    WHOOOOO ITS ASH KETCHUM DAY!!! this 10 year old has been alive longer than me so surely hes had some great adventures, and he has!! last year he made a good step towards his extremely vague goal of being a Pokémon master so lets hope he keeps getting closer to that goal

now to answer some of the questions in a nice little spoiler tag bc this might get long

fave design: tbh i love all of ash's designs!! no matter what he looks iconic and we love that about him hes a fashion icon

fave region: SINNOH!!! ash really peaked in sinnoh, he was like a perfect culmination of all his experiences in the past three regions without looking too shounen and butchering his character (cough xy cough), he was really knowledgeable about Pokémon now and really served as dawn's mentor (bc cmon ash was still kinda dumb in ag and i hardly call him a mentor to may for that reason) along with ash kinda growing too like starting to respect paul despite his cruel training methods. sm ash was also just really cute in the fact that he calls alola his family like CMON THATS ADORABLE

fave team: probably sinnoh too all his Pokémon had personality and some real awesome moments in their battles unless ur name is torterra

fave single Pokémon: cant go wrong with pikachu!!

fave league: sinnoh, you should notice a running theme now. but all his battles were awesome but who cares about nando and conway we're talking ASH VS PAUL EPIC THREE PARTER tobias battle was kinda cool too despite the loss MY BOY SCEPTILE PUTTING IN THE WORK

fave quotes: i mostly watch the anime subbed so (shrug) but on that note we cant go wrong with GETTO DA ZE

fave movie: i remember really liking the giratina one as a kid!! i saw it on cartoon network one day i think

first memory: i clearly remember when i was little i was in dance class and just before i would have to leave Pokémon would be airing on boomerang everyday so i watched Pokémon before leaving. i think they only played stuff from os and i didnt really get it but it was fun to watch Pokémon!!

fave episode: yes????? anything but bw ig???

scenes i remember: just those os episodes i watched as a kid but even then i dont remember much rip

fave gym battle: hmmmMMMM hes had a lot of good battles but ash vs olympia, ash vs fantina, ash vs clemont, and ash vs wulfric stand out to me. kalos had a lot of cool gym battles okay

fave non gym battle: dont wanna include leagues so ash vs paul at lake acuity, full battle action outside the league!!

something i have in common with ash: sometimes being way too excited and rash for our own goods

coolest ash technique: the ash vs olympia future sight counter. that took a lot of strategizing and it paid off well! the timeless counter shield comes in a close second

but that aside, i really like the kid. i really enjoy watching him get out there and do his best!! hes been a big part of my life over the decade ive been into Pokémon and i hope hes there for more to come!!

sm ash winning a league proves that sm ash is and always will be better than xy ash looooool

4. Flyg0n

Flyg0n PKMN Breeder

Mojave
    (Trapinch)
    Level 33
    PokéPoints:
    ₽365.8
    XY is definitely his edgiest, heh. I really did like it. Journey's for me strikes a wonderful balance between OG, XY and SM. Its this beautiful blend of childlikeness with a bit of edge and a classic feel.

@Skittle So happy to see your reply!! :D I was beginning to worry no one would post here which would be boring

I recently rewatched Sinnoh through BW through Kalos. Its been such a journey, watching now being older has given me such insight. And appreciation

I had a phase where I used to not like Ash at all, but he was super cool in Sinnoh. Paul is my favorite rival for Ash, I think Paul forced Ash to grow the most as a person.

Now that you mention the Pokémon master thing, I feel like I've had it figured out.
    Simply put, being a Pokémon Master isn't just about winning leagues, but truly mastering what it means to be a trainer. To Ash, I think this means making friends with all kinds of Pokémon, building a bond with them, then bringing out their full power.
    This also explains why he catches less Pokémon as time goes on. For him, its not about quality but quality. To raise a Pokémon to their fullest and helping them become strong. Like Torracot defeating Incineroar, Chimchar becoming an Infernape and defeating Paul, and so one.
    Being a Pokémon Master is something that you can always get closer to, but also something that never ends

Also XY really has the best gym battles like, so many were so cool and had such cool techniques, like Draco Meteor climb!! Ash v Olympia is one of my favs too, and a memory that sticks in my mind

I oughta answers those asks for myself, I realize, lol

Thank you for sharing :D

Skittle likes this.
  5. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    @Flyg0n compared to bws gym battles (ELESA) xy had some good battles yeah

rn im lowkey rewatching xy and its kinda crazy to see how much hes changed since os!! i know that ppl loved snarky ash but i didnt really grow up with the anime until dp cant say for sure that he was better as a little smart butt...... but he sure knows a lot about Pokémon if we exclude bw ofc that was,,,,, a thing that happened!!!

i think as a younger kid i also had a phase where i didnt like ash but as i got older and started rewatching the anime hes just a kid on a journey and his love for Pokémon is so genuine and sweet, it was really hard to keep hating the guy ;w; he wants the best for both his Pokémon and friends he makes, i kinda wish i had the ability to be outgoing like him and inspire people the way he does to everyone around him (and me, heh)

maybe its as we get older we kinda understand ash's character better?? we were all kids with big dreams at some point and less of a "WHY DOES ASH GET ALL THE STARTERS AND I ONLY GET ONE IN THE GAMES HES USING GAMESHARK"

6. Flyg0n

Flyg0n PKMN Breeder

Mojave
    (Trapinch)
    Level 33
    PokéPoints:
    ₽365.8
    My personal theory is that after Ash lost in Sinnoh so badly he got depressed in BW which is why he regressed to his childlike nature. Either that or Zekrom fried his brain in the 1st episode lol

For me it was somewhere in my teenage years that I didn't like Ash, but that was because I kept remembering how much he lost. But growing up more, I began to appreciate his good nature, his unwavering belief, his faith in friendship, and his love of Pokémon. I guess we do just understand him better as we get older. And I think I learned that it wasn't always about the win.

I just love how he always brings out the best in his Pokémon!! And I like when he has a little snark too, haha. I rewatched some of the OS and its so funny, honestly. He's straight savage sometimes

[*]Favorite version of Ash's design? Journey's, like I mentioned above
    [*]Favorite region (personality/story wise)? XY, Sinnoh, but ultimately Journey's. OG Ash is special to me tho bc he roasted people
    [*]Favorite of Ash's teams, overall (by region)? XY, Sinnoh and Alola. Also Journeys
    [*]Favorite singular Pokémon? UUUHHHHH hard... Torracat I think. Awesome character development and character in general. And that little hack Rowlet.
    [*]Favorite League? SM&XY (even if they handled the ending weird)
    [*]Favorite quotes? Hm... Cant think of any off the top of my head from Ash. But I do love Mewtwo's quote from the 1st movie!!!!
    [*]Favorite movie? The first Pokémon Movie!!!
    [*]What was your first memory of the anime? I honestly don't know...
    [*]Favorite episode? The SM episode where Lana hooks Kyogre. SO BEAUTIFUL
    [*]Are there any scenes that you still remember to this day? Swellow's Thunder Armor from Ash vs Tate and Lize. it was RIDICULOUS
    [*]Favorite gym battle Ash has been in? Hmm... Ash vs Olympia, Ash vs Bea, Ash vs Grant... so many.
    [*]Favorite non gym battle? Gotta agree, Ash vs Paul.
    [*]What do you feel like you have in common with Ash? His deep love of Pokémon and his loyalty.
    [*]Coolest technique Ash pulled off? Counter Spin is dope, Thunder Armor is... something else, and Ash using Iron Tail to ground Pikachu

Skittle likes this.
  7. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I love Ash so much, and these questions were a great way for me to figure out how to express exactly what it is I love about him.
    • Favorite version of Ash's design? It's a toss up between Kalos and Sinnoh. His design looks more mature in Kalos, but in Sinnoh his shirt is actually a color that's not blue, and I'm all for the variety.
    • Favorite region (personality/story wise)? Alola, all the way. My favorite part of Ash has always been his kindness and love he has for the people and Pokémon around him, and that was basically what the Alola series was about.
    • Favorite of Ash's teams, overall (by region)? Alola, because not only does Ash have strong, personal relationships with all of his Pokémon, but they all have unique and personal relationships with each other as well. Kalos and Sinnoh are close runners up, because I love the relationships that Ash's Kalos Pokémon have with each other, but I feel like too much of his attention is focused on Greninja, and as for Sinnoh he has a good relationship with all of those Pokémon, but they don't really have much of a noticeable relationship with each other.
    • Favorite singular Pokémon? Chimchar. That poor, traumatized little monkey, Ash was the perfect trainer to help it, and their relationship is great.
    • Favorite League? Alola, and not just because Ash won. It's because Ash's battles were so impressive, and all of his Pokémon were given a chance to show off something impressive.
    • Favorite quotes? "Do you always need a reason to help somebody?" (It basically sums up everything I love about Ash).
    • Favorite movie? Volcanian and the Mechanical Marvel. Not only does Ash wear an adorable brown outfit (for just a few minutes, but still), but I really liked his interactions with Volcanion.
    • What was your first memory of the anime? I guess my earliest memory is of renting the third and second Pokémon movies over and over again.
    • Favorite episode? Tears for Fears (see my favorite singular Pokémon explanation above).
    • Are there any scenes that you still remember to this day? When Ash stays up all night to thaw out Charizard after a brutal battle. It was because of that scene that I realized just why I love Ash, because of how much he cares about his Pokémon.
    • Favorite gym battle Ash has been in? Uh...I don't know if this counts, but my favorite 'gym battle' is his Island Trial on Ula'ula island. That battle with Nanu was pretty cool.
    • Favorite non gym battle? His battle with Kukui. Seeing Ash finally battle his teacher was amazing, and everything I'd been hoping for. The animation was stunning.
    • What do you feel like you have in common with Ash? Stubborn determination. No matter how many times Ash may fail at something, he just keeps on going at it and trying to improve himself to achieve what he wants.
    • Coolest technique Ash pulled off? When he had Pikachu use thunderbolt and quick attack to climb out of the tornado whirlpool thing. The move itself wasn't animated all that impressively, but it is everybody's reactions to the move that make it amazing. All of the stuff they did with electro-web is also really cool.

Flyg0n likes this.
  8. Flyg0n

Flyg0n PKMN Breeder

Mojave
    (Trapinch)
    Level 33
    PokéPoints:
    ₽365.8
    @Gazi
    Your post really made me smile :)

I really do love Ash's kindness, and Alola is such a second home to him because it really fits with his personality. I really like all the points you made and they really resonate with me.

AND THAT CLIMBING THE LIGHTNING THING IS ONE OF MY FAVORITES TOO!!! I forgot to mention that! Electroweb is one of the best moves he's ever had imo. This is his best moveset too. So versatile!
    Thank you for your input!!!