1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Hard time getting used to the new name

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Otter Mii-kun, May 25, 2017.

1. Otter Mii-kun

PokéPoints:
    ₽0.0
    Whenever a certain entity, whether it be a company, institution, or building, or whatever else that can have a given proper name changes its name or rebrands, do you get stuck saying said entity's old name instead of adapting to the new name?

What are some entities that have changed their name in your lifetime that you still frequently use the former name of?

• S. C. Johnson & Son, which bills itself in advertising as "S. C. Johnson - A Family Company", to me will always be "S. C. Johnson Wax."
    • I still frequently call Michigan's big two utility giants, Consumers Energy, and DTE Energy, under their previous names "Consumers Power" and "Detroit Edison"
    • I still call what is now Genesee Career Institute (having assumed that name in 2014, the year after the Genesee Intermediate School District took that vocational school over from the Flint Community School District) by its previous name "Genesee Area Skill Center", and its nickname "Skill Center" (which it went by when I attended the center from 2004-06).
    • On a few occasions, I may refer to the Lapeer County Education and Technology Center/Lapeer County Ed-Tech under its original name "Lapeer County Vocational Technical Center/Lapeer County Vo-Tech (though, to be fair, my current state representative calls that place "Vo-Tech" as well, since he supervised the operation of that center during his time on the Lapeer County Intermediate School District Board of Education prior to his election as state representative.)

2. Syaoron the Fox

Skittles
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽339.0
    Poké Ball ★Dawn Stone ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Actually, my old middle school used to be called "Young Middle Magnet School". Midway through my education there, they partnered with an elementary school and changed their name to the "Upper Campus Creative Science Center". It's still so new to me, that I still refer to it as Young, and I'm in college now.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    We had this wonderful theater by our house which was called the Luther Burbank Center for the Arts which was bought out by Wells Fargo so it was called the Wells Fargo Center, and now the name has been changed back to the Luther Burbank Center. It has been a weird twist of names for me to keep track of.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ClefairyKid

ClefairyKid (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

PokéPoints:
    ₽854.6
    Psychium Z ★★★★Poké Doll ★★Waterium Z ★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★
    The thing that comes to mind is that deviantart used to have Gallery Moderators but the title is now called Community Volunteers and I still resolutely call them GMs (because that's what they are and that's what they DO haha)

5. Reckless

Reckless Won't take the easy road

PokéPoints:
    ₽666.6
    Immediately our ISP springs to mind. My grand parents still call it Telecom Éireann (their old office still exists up town), I prefer calling it Eircom, but now it goes by 'eir.'
    Still provides a crap service, though. If anything I'd argue they've only gotten worse over time.

6. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I can't provide specific examples (mostly because I don't remember a recent example of such), but I'm rather prone to defaulting to the older and more familiar names. I do tend to curtail this behaviour as I gradually adapt to the new name, and remind myself that it's noticeably different. If it's not different enough I'll probably default to the older name, but if it is I'll make more of an effort to remember the new one.

The one exception I have to this - and I know it isn't totally matching with the topic question - is names and usernames of actual people. When that is the case I will make it a point to immediately switch to the new name, and not use the old name at all, not even in thoughts to myself.

7. ConfettiCat

ConfettiCat ( ☞ゝω・)☞

PokéPoints:
    ₽564.8
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    I read this thread and immediately thought of Sunrise, an animation company/group. I think around 2015-ish it was changed to Bandai Namco Pictures or BNP, but that name doesn't stick to me anywhere near as well as Sunrise does.