1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Have you had a weird experience as a Pokémon fan?

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Katanaeyegaming, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Katanaeyegaming

Katanaeyegaming #FEARTHEWYVERN

Darklit
    (Liepard)
    Level 45
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,579.2
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    What weird experiences have you had as a Pokémon fan or doing Pokémon related things?

I have 2 stories to tell for this question.

The first happened at a Con in 2015 that was held in Ponca City, Oklahoma about 45 minutes from where I currently live. Well I went with a few friends and met up with a friend who was visiting from Norway. We had a panel at the convention for the rhythm game In the Groove or ITG for short. Well we had like 3 hours before we were to setup for our panel we decided to walk around the Con which had other video game and anime related things. We saw these 2 college age girls at the Pokémon section sitting in these beanbag chairs wearing charizard merch from head to toe which was fine. But like 3 times they ended up hitting on guys wearing charizard merch in some very uncomfortable ways before they basically started acting like feral animals for like 20 minutes.

The second happened around late 2018 when some guy recognized me for some of my writing and started basically imitating some of my characters. Cool but then he got really weird with it making some very odd comments that lead to me leaving the area he was at for like 2-3 days to make sure nothing happened.

I'm interested in stories like these because I hear them quite a bit as of late and it's always nice to discuss things about Pokémon.

Jupjami likes this.
  2. Skdebop

Arcoos
    (Arceus)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽71.5
    I met a kid who only knew about Pokémon from the cards and if i told him the name of a Pokémon that wasnt in his deck he just got super confused

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Jupjami likes this.
  3. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,831.9
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    When I was in the 11th grade I had a very nerdy history teacher in an school with very flexible rules (they even let use game systems during lunch). One day he brought a few Pokémon cards to class. The only one I remember is a Zapdos. Kids called him a loser to themselves under their breath, but I thought it was a pleasant surprise.

I have a Cosmog tattoo that's visible whenever I wear short sleeves. Most people don't know what it is since it's not a super popular Pokémon. I was walking over to get some coffee and a nearby middle school just ended for the day. A couple teenage boys stared at it and whispered to each other. "He's carrying a fantasy book and has a Pokémon tattoo" one said as he moved to the grass to see what I was carrying. "Sad," the other said. As they passed me one of them called me a loser. They looked like they never read themselves and their opinion of my tattoo will never change mine. I love it and it gives me great comfort.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    RadEmpoleon and Jupjami like this.
  4. ColsonOtis

ColsonOtis Member of the Month

Poipole
    (Poipole)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,640.3
    I remember my uncles who started collecting before me gave me some old Pokémon puzzle cards that could be redeemed for prizes. I asked around but couldn't find any way to redeem them. Eventually, I went to my first Pokémon TCG regional and asked some official judges who had been involved in the PTCG for a long time. They were like: "We have no idea what this is, so just take some free promo cards,"

Jupjami likes this.
  5. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 67
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,800.3
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    ig the weirdest Pokémon-related thing that happened to me is when me and an old friend I haven't talked to in like six years suddenly reconnected over Pokémon UNITE, so a lot of our conversations circled around the game even though I haven't touched it for months now :sweat::sweat::sweat: Cool friend though, we were research mates and also went to his house a lot for a filming project bc by some strange coincidence me and him were always grouped together in stuff~ (He's also as obsessed with Lucario as I am with Grovyle so that's something else we bond over kek)

Katanaeyegaming likes this.
  6. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™ (they/them)

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,062.7
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I remember one day back in middle school, we were having our lunch period at the picnic tables outside. One of the boys at the table with all the Annoying Middle School Boys™ came over to our table (the Quiet Nerdy Girls™), gave me a little Kyurem figurine, and retreated back to his table without saying anything to us. My friend gave him a mustard packet in return since we thought it would be funny. I still to this day have no reason why that interaction happened, but I still have the Kyurem figurine 10 years later.

Jupjami likes this.
  7. Katanaeyegaming

Katanaeyegaming #FEARTHEWYVERN

Darklit
    (Liepard)
    Level 45
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,579.2
    Oh wow this thread from 2021 is being brought back!

I have another story that happened in the time since the first post.

Last year I went to a Pokémon fan event in Kansas City. It was like a Pokémon themed carnival that went on for a week.

There was a guy in a Squirtle mask running around the place slamming into the portapotties on the outer edge of the place. And then took out a bag of flour and threw it at the side of one of the food stands. I still have no idea what the deal was.

RadEmpoleon and Jupjami like this.