1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Review HEARTBEAT (PC)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Haunted Ditto, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Haunted Ditto

Ditto
    (Ditto)
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽775.5
    Oran Berry ★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    (no horror game this time)
    HEARBEAT is a RPG created by CHUMBOSOFT LLC (this is their only game currently). It got released on 12.12.2018 and has mostly positive reviews on Steam (around 95%). I love this game and even did a 100% run without regreting it and hopefully I can make you love this game too.
    Since this is a RPG and not a Horror game, the review will have sections which weren't used when rating the two other games I already reviewed.

Plot:
    You are Eve Staccato a young Conjurer who fights wild/Evil Mogwais with her Mogwai companion called Klein (Klein is a Cat Sith). One day a much bigger Mogwai appeared which shows that the Den (the place where the Mogwais come from) still dislikes humans. There is also a Mog who tries to steal other Mog's cores (the reason for this will be explained in the game) so Eve goes on a long adventure to catch this thief and maybe also make the relationship between the Den and the human world more peaceful. All sidequests also have lore instead of basic "Kill ten Orcs" sidequests, every quest has it's small lore and gives you nice items which are exclusive to this quest.
    Doesn't sound too crazy, but the dialogues are well-written and often pretty funny. Having sidequests which actually effect the game's world are a nice bonus.

Graphics:
    The game uses pixelart. The art used for the overworld have a similar char as the ones from Pokémon RSE (But they look better). Dialogues between important characters Show you mugshots which change based on the character's emotions. In battles the game uses sprites which are similar too battle sprites from Pokémon DPPL. Important battles also have animated backgrounds.
    I'm a big fan of pixelart and every game which uses sprites makes me instantly happy. The similarity to older Pokémon games makes it even better. I also like that the game uses more than only one mugshot per character.

Characters:
    First thing about the main characters: 90% of all characters which are important for the game are female and all playble characters are female (There isn't really a major reason for this. the story writer just preferred to write a story with female characters). This makes the game unique, but also kinda strange. A decent amount of them LOOKS male and they are often attracted to each other which is strange. I have no problem with lesbian video game characters, but 80% have a weirdly strong Connection to each other. The characters themselves have unique personalities and there motivations were undertandable and didn't fell like "I'm you new BFF now". The protagonist Eve was somestimes a little bit too nice and cute imo.
    The charcters have great personalities and have a good amount of Impact to the stoy. I only dislike that there are SO MANY girls. It just feels really unbalanced.

Gameplay:
    Offers the same as most RPGs: Explore and fight.
    But there are also many side activities which will be explained later

Puzzles:
    The puzzles are really nice and have some kind of connection to HM Moves from Pokémon, because every character in the game has a ability which helps you in the overworld. For example you need a small character to reach a switch which controls a barier. The puzzles weren't hard nor too easy.
    I really like the game's puzzles, because they always make great use of your Party members's abilities.

Length:
    The games Costs around 13$ and offers around 30 Hours of fun. If you aim for the 100% you need around 40 Hours. This game offers you alot for it's prize and is completly justified.

Music (Sound):
    The game has a great custom soundtrack which fits every Situation (I will buy the Soundtrack, because of this). I'm not completly sure, but I think the game uses RPG Maker MV's standard attack sounds.

Side activities:
    The game offers you ALOT of side activities. You can go fishing, collect cards, do alchemie, search for special weapons and much more. Like already mentioned, the sidequests offer you some nice extra lore.

Achievements (not included into the rating):
    It took me around 40 Hours to get 100%. All Achievements are fair and don't expect a high amount of skill or luck. Some of them are based on the main story, you get one for getting every fish, every card, every Mog data, for spending 1M of the game's currency and many more fun challenges. One of the easier 100% runs imo (and worth it).

Score factors:
    Plot: 9/10
    Characters: 9/10
    Graphics: 10/10
    Puzzles: 9/10
    Gameplay: 9/10
    Music: 9/10
    Length: 10/10
    Side activities: 10/10
    Fun: 10/10
    Memorable: 10/10

Total score: 95/100
    HEARBEAT offers a great story, well-written and designed characters and Overall a great experience. This is probably one of the best RPGs imo.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. PoserPanda

SS EGG 2
    (Giratina Egg (Altered))
    Level 74
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,173.3
    Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    With terms like Cat Sith and Mogwai, I was getting an interesting mix of both Final Fantasy and Gremlins. These misunderstandings caused me to check the Steam store to look up the game you have reviewed. Unfortunately the game only takes these well-known names and uses them for their game's benefit, without actually being a part of the company who publishes Final Fantasy games. It is much like playing a knock-off Pokémon game that pretends it isn't copying from that franchise. But the fact you don't like the fact that the main character is too cute and nice. I was thinking about purchasing this game, but it seems like a normal RPG with more women than normal. I could just play Three Houses if I wanted that experience. Thank you for giving a detailed explanation for HEARTBEAT. I'm glad to read a review of yours that isn't centered in the horror genre.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Haunted Ditto

Ditto
    (Ditto)
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽775.5
    Oran Berry ★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    Thanks for sharing your opinion, but there are two points I can't agree with.
    1. Words like "Sith" and "Mogwai" are words which are used in different kinds of media and don't we really "belong" to any franchise. Using those words isn't comparable to any kind of butchering other games/movies. If we follow this kind of logic, every game which uses mana is a rip-off of the first RPG.
    2. I only said that the graphics are comparable to Pokémon. Everything else isn't comparable. There are no 1v1 battles, you can't catch any of the "wild" Mogwai and you have more than only 4 moves. Also most of your Mogwai companions use their human form, because it allows them to interact easier with humans. The only monster/mogwai in your party is Eve's cat sith Klein.

4. PoserPanda

SS EGG 2
    (Giratina Egg (Altered))
    Level 74
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,173.3
    Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I used the full term Cat Sith, [Instead of Cait Sith in the game, and Cat Sith as the folklore.] as in the character from Final Fantasy Seven. And if Mogwai is licensed by the company who made the movie 'Gremlins', Then I say it does belong to them. I did not say however, that the game is a rip-off of a Pokémon game, just that it takes aspects from other media and uses it for its own monetary gain. Much like any other company trying to make money. I also said that this was a misunderstanding that was proven wrong once I went to the Steam store myself.