1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Hidden Power

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Nator, May 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nator

Nator Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    Hidden Power is a widely used, popular move in the metagame. It's a move with a base power of 60, and the typing of the move depends on the Pokémon's IV spread. It is arguably both the most unpredictable and most used move at the same time in the competitive field. This move is great for Pokémon that don't have the greatest movepool (such as Lilligant), or Mons that don't quite have enough (or the correct/ideal) type coverage in general. For example, a Latios can learn a lot of different moves, but when it meets up with a Pokémon like Ferrothorn, this is where Hidden Power Fire would really come in handy, since Latios cannot learn any other Fire type moves.

What is your opinion on Hidden Power? Do you use it frequently? How many times has it saved you from a match? How many times did it screw you over? What are the most useful Hidden Power types in your opinion? What are some HP types that are the absolute worst? Has there ever been a time where you've seen an unusual HP type used, such as Hidden Power Steel or Dragon?
    Do you think there should be a Hidden Power Fairy type? Should Game Freak change the mechanics in a way where we can see HP Fairy someday? If it did happen, would it be useful? If so, which Pokémon would it be useful on?

Discuss anything and everything related to the move "Hidden Power" below.

As for myself, these are my most used Hidden Power types (in no specific order):

-Fire
    -Ice
    -Grass
    -Ground (sometimes)
    -Rock (sometimes)
    -Fighting (sometimes)
    -Dark (sometimes)

2. East

East Look to the Stars

PokéPoints:
    ₽742.2
    The most common HP types I use are Fire and Flying, actually. Since Thundurus doesn't have access to any good special flying moves, HP Flying is really the best way to go. I used it for my VGC Nationals team back in 2013 haha

3. shinygiratinaz

shinygiratinaz Boats Against the Current

PokéPoints:
    ₽39.5
    I use hidden power mostly on special attackers that don't have a very wide movepool like Jolteon, or on Pokémon that have a glaring weakness in their attack's typings. Getting a hidden power that's super effective against a Pokémon that usually walls you is pretty darn helpful in my opinion, like putting a hidden power ground on a fairy type. When I use it, I generally use Ground, Fire, or Ice type, though it really just depends on the Pokémon.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,997.3
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I don't use Hidden Power an awful lot really, but I do use Hidden Power Ice on Pokémon such as Manectric and Jolteon since they got a limited movepool and having a Hidden Power Ice or Grass on those are really useful. I've also used a Hidden Power Ground Sylveon as well so I could sucker punch Pokémon like Heatran and Megnezone right in the face with a 4x super effective move.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. TripleAAABattery

TripleAAABattery Look at my fluff! LOOK AT IT

Gottem
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 45
    PokéPoints:
    ₽991.0
    I pretty commonly use Hidden Power Fire. I just feel like nowadays, with Steel-Types being all over the place, its just too important. I usually use HP Fire Magnezone and Serperior, but I once used HP Fire Latios. Hidden Power Rock and Ground are nice surprises on Mons like Mega Pidgeot as well.

6. Nauris

Nauris The King of Konchus

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    I quite often use Hidden Power, but I don't use it on the cartridge, since they can hard to remember, since unlike on the sims, the move selection doesn't display the type for your Hidden Power. The hidden power can be both predictable, and unpredictable, due to how it can be multiple types. If it hits your Magnezone for SE, it might either be Fire, Ground, or Fighting. Though Ground can be more obvious in that case, since it's 4x instead of 2x, but there are times when you can't really tell which type it is, ie. if the Magnezone was on low health.

On the Greninja, it's really obvious which type the hidden power is due to it's ability, Protean, transforming it to be same type as the hidden power.

7. Noctis

Noctis *this message has been removed*

PokéPoints:
    ₽65.0
    I know you can determine what kind of HP you have on your Pokémon through some NPCs.
    I don't use Hidden Power too often unless it's totally useful. I agree though, Magnet Pull + Hidden Power Fire on Magnezone is super OP. (I have one of these beauties on my cartridge. <3 )

But yeah, I feel like the majority of Pokémon probably has some sort of useful move to counter your counters. Hidden Power just is not as useful as these other moves, hence why I don't use it too much unless it's absolutely necessary to have via strategy.

8. Shada

Shada netflix binging

(Taillow)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽252.7
    Repel ★Charizardite X ★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Galladite ★★★★Bottle Cap ★★★★★
    I don't use hidden power, unless there's a type that I need in that set.

I use HP Dragon and HP Ice pretty frequently when I do use this move though~

9. Nauris

Nauris The King of Konchus

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    Could you tell me why you use HP Dragon? Only valid reason I can think of is for the Hidden Type. (One of the smogon's OM's, All Pokémon gain extra type based on their Hidden Power's type)
    Other than that, HP Ice is a lot better than HP Dragon, since it gives better coverage, unless you need to hit Mega Charizard X, Kingdra, and Kyurem for 2x, but still want to keep 2x for the most Dragon types.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.