1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

How did I ever like that?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RadEmpoleon, May 23, 2020.

1. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,111.9
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Is there something you used to watch, play, etc. a lot when you were younger that you look back on and think “why did I ever like this?”

I guess my answer for this was a youtube channel I used to watch a very long time ago, called Smosh. I was way too young to be watching their videos and I never realized how inappropriate their content was for a 9/10 year old.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 May 23, 2020
    Last edited: May 24, 2020
  2. 1mightydragon

1mightydragon PKMN Breeder

Queza
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,415.8
    The movie Pearl Harbor (2001) I was just a kid when it came out but back then I thought it was good but now that I am older and became more knowledgeable about storytelling, the history behind Pearl Harbor and what a love triangle is. I now despise the movie with a full passion, the ironic thing is Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970) I equally enjoyed it when I was a kid and now love it, even more, I would say Tora! Tora! Tora! is a movie that I think would be a great movie for date night between two history buffs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DuoM2

Groudon Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,398.7
    There are a bunch of things that I can look at from the past and see that they're low-quality, with a bunch of poorly-made cartoons coming to mind before anything else, but there's nothing that I've ever questioned like Sonic Heroes. The main reason is that I distinctly remember clipping out of bounds and dying multiple times. No other game I've ever played is like that, and I don't understand how I thought that was normal back then. I'm guessing that it's probably because "Sonic is cool" because I remember disliking games before back then for really shallow reasons.

Not really much else that stands out to me, though. I've played a ton of games and watched a ton of cartoons that have ended up being really bad when replaying them, like I played things like Kirby: Mass Attack and watched things like Johnny Test that I don't like now, but I can see why I liked them both as a kid. Something like a poor control scheme isn't going to dissuade me as much as it did back then, and I didn't think much about the cartoons I was watching to realize that literally none of the characters in Johnny Test are good for example.

I guess for a lot of people, this would come down to "can I blame my child self for having bad taste?" My answer is mostly no, a kid's list of priorities when it comes to enjoying something is going to be different from mine nowadays. The Sonic Heroes thing is the only one I really don't understand because I would expect myself even back then to understand that something was wrong with the game when I kept clipping out of bounds, but I guess not.

4. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Pokémon tbh

Going back and watching the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers now...god, it drags on something awful. When I compare the bloated three seasons to the relatively compact 40-ish episodes of the Disney era, they look like better shows with a lot less filler...even if they don't have Tommy in them.

But would you believe that this hasn't happened much to me? Either because I'm blinded by nostalgia or the longer things go on, the worse they get...or I just get tired of them, more likely. When I look back on the older things I tend to find them to be better than the current incarnation because of the memories I have associated with them. I mean, dump on the 4Kids dub of Pokémon all you want, but you have to admit that the writing was on-point and Team Rocket's often obscure adult humour makes for much better viewing than the later seasons. Hate on the Sailor Moon dub if you will, but I bet you know the lyrics to the opening word for word and can't say the same of the original Japanese opening. Yeah, Final Fantasy VIII is pretty dated now...but look at what they've done to FFXV. And so on.

Jupjami likes this.
  5. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    As a kid I watched Sharkboy and Lavagirl obsessively. Even though the budget was non-existent and the acting was stiff, there was something that kept me invested. Maybe it was the premise?

6. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    As a kid, I used to love mindlessly training my skills. A good example is when I used to play racing games, I'd deliberately practiced to get my skills at dodging much better. Now that I'm older, I find that exceptionally boring and don't ever do it.
    Another thing I like was a child is watching youtube videos of all the good games. Now I just play them and despise being spoiled to the games.

7. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    my parents
    When I was young liked playing with cats, even grabbing their tails; now I don't even want to be ten feet from them~ I also used to like some cringeworthy cartoons (ahem ahem Boboiboy ahem), and repeating movies over and over again (my folks used to tell me I watched Madagascar five times in one day)...

8. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    The one show I can think of that I watched as a kid and couldn't imagine watching now was the weird, poorly animated Donkey Kong Country tv show.
    There were also a few movies that I watched as a kid and still love today, but they were kinda too violent for shows you would think to turn on for a small child. Those movies were Clue and the first two Mummy movies (the ones with Brendan Fraser).

9. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,397.0
    Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace.

Recently, I watched this movie for the first time in many years. The pacing was abysmal, the dialogue was atrocious, and the experience was arduous. The pod racing and Darth Maul fights were still fun, but did not do a whole lot to save the movie. Unlike the other two prequel movies where I can actually enjoy myself (despite the infamous Padme/Anakin dialogue), this movie was just plain hard to watch. At least it brought us "Duel of the Fates"...

10. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    I used to play Fairly Odd Parents: Breakin' Da Rules on my PS2 a lot when I was about 5-6 years old. I could never get past the 3 initial starting levels, but I had a blast with it for some reason.

I recently beat this game for the first time, and my goodness is it very BORING. Not only is it really boring, but there are some questionable design choices.

This is an example: In one of the levels you're given a pillow gun to shoot at aliens, but when you press the button to activate this weapon it takes way too long to deploy and when you actually get to use the gun you're stuck in place and if you want to move and shoot an alien that's far away from you then you have to put the weapon back, get closer, and then wait for the animation to finish in order to shoot again, also the pillows travel a limited distance, so you have to move to get targets far away from you. The icing on top is you can defeat the aliens just by walking towards them, which makes the weapon worthless.

I had no taste in games when I was young.

11. Faded Autumn

Mawile
    (Mawile)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,166.8
    Dawn Stone ★★★★
    Donkey Kong country the tv series. I watched an episode yesterday for nostalgia sake, but the chop motion animation is super cringy, and Diddy Kong looks like he’s on meth. :P:P:P Hmmm.... now that I think about it though, I might go watch another episode now lol

12. Roman

Roman Black Belt

Odd Egg (S)
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽43.3
    Adam Sandler movies. My dad was obsessed with them so of course I always watched them.
    While they do still have some funny moments, I find myself more often annoyed at what's happening on screen. Love him or hate him, dude's actually pretty smart. He does what he wants, shooting movies with his friends like it's 2010 and your parents let you and your friend record videos of your on-the-spot stories with the family's cheap camera.
    I don't make a point of leaving if one comes on, but if I have nothing else to do and I'm bored, I'll stay and watch for a few minutes

13. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    I actually can't stand Adam Sandler movies anymore lol. In the same boat with ya.

For me:
    How did I ever like playing in the rain lol. This is kind of weird but as a kid, I'd just literally stand outside and run around in the rain outside for hours. What was that about?? Like I'd get absolutely drenched and then have to shower again and warm up and all that. Doesn't really make much sense but I guess my parents told me not to do it so I wanted to do it....more? Pro strats there Vig!

14. Sethal

Sethal Vibing to OST

Aurile
    (Alolan Vulpix)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,428.1
    Comet Shard ★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Thunder Stone ★★★
    In the dark ages, I, for some reason, watched a certain notorious german beauty and lifestyle YouTuber, who has made absolutely incredible music. I don't know what got into me, but apparently, she managed to entertain me back then. Today, I am repressing the memory as best as possible xD