1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

How do you come up with new ideas?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by awney, Oct 19, 2018.

1. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Coming up with ideas for art or writing can be stressful but sometimes they are spontaneous. How do you guys form your ideas for your pieces? Is everything planned out or is it spontaneous?

I usually have to think for a bit about what I want a drawing to look like because nine times out of ten my original idea gets altered and looks way different in the end anyway.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,983.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    It just sorta happens, I don't know how I come up with stuff tbh it just happens, usually in the dead of night when I'm suppose to sleep or when I shower, the shower is apparently a good place for ideas when it comes to writing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    When I draw I usually get a very, very vague idea in my head, and then I just start drawing. It doesn't always work out well, but sometimes it turns out much better than I had hoped.
    As for my writing, I brainstorm the idea, sometimes talk it over with my brother when I've hit a bit of a snag and just need to talk it through for the idea to come to me. I usually plan out entire scenes of my story in my head before I'm anywhere near that part of the story. For the parts where I don't have it entirely planned out, I just write until I feel like it's gotten to a good length and a decent ending spot. Not planning out the majority of my chapters has worked pretty well for me so far.

4. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Very spontaneously. For me writing ideas comes from just being bored with every day life and thinking up new and creative ways to mix up things that I love. Another way I get ideas is to look at art. I don't look at art often, but there was one time where I looked at something cool and thought, "I wonder if I could write a story around that?" Music is the main way that I come up with ideas or scenes. They are very impactful to me and often allow me to write or think about similar emotions to what the song is conveying.

5. luxuryluxray

luxuryluxray make a wish!

Grass
    (Tangela)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,543.0
    Ice Stone ★★★★Water Stone ★★★Charizardite X ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★
    My best ideas are the ones that just pop into my head while I'm off doing non-arty things. Otherwise, I have to sit down and think/sketch until I find something I like enough to draw.

6. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    i wish my ideas were as spontaneous as y'alls haha

7. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    It depends. Sometimes I have to think about what I'm going to draw, but other times my ideas come to me randomly.

8. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    i've had a few spontaneous ideas lately. wish it'd happen more often.

9. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    My ideas are from whatever I need to practice, like boys and hands... so then I’ll set a goal and make some prompts like “hand with a bunch of rings,” or “boys with fruit-themed clothing” or something like that. My other inspiration comes from all the makeup ads I get in my email inbox from Colourpop—every time they release a palette I like but don’t feel like buying, I’ll use the colors in that palette to create a color scheme for a drawing!

10. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    oh thats a very interesting way to get color palettes!

11. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    thanks! I have a minor problem with hoarding pretty things so I’ve made it my goal to draw pretty things instead of buying them and never using them again :sweat:

12. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    Some of my art/stories comes from dreams I've had. Heck, my comic came from a dream where I was Chara and physically couldn't harm a monster despite Flowey telling me to repeatedly! Music can also lead to the direction of a drawing, however I tend to lean towards having the music match the drawing once I get a idea. I'm listening to a ton of Undertale OSTs and fan-music right now with the comic going on, and before that it was horror soundtracks as I was trying to focus on horror-themes for Inktober (hah, now it's all Undertale and Pokémon...).

I will admit, with Inktober wrapping up, I've started to find it difficult to think up prompts. Heck, for 'Angle' I just posted a drawing of Chara/Nyssa and Flowey because they had a few right/obtuse angles in their poses.