1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

How do you decide your Smash Bros. Main?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Wizard, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,410.7
    The question is in the title! How do you decide your Smash Bros main? Here are a few ways I have heard:
    - Like the character's design
    - A fan of the character's franchise
    - Mained them in a previous game
    - Dabbing is fun
    - Play all of the characters until you find your favorite

I do the last one! My main in the original was Ness, Young Link in Melee, Lucas, Wolf, and Ivysaur in Brawl, and Falco and Ganondorf in Smash 4. I don't have a clear pattern, I just play whoever fits my playing style at the time.

How do you select your mains? How often do you change mains?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Owly

Owly Friend of the Eco, Foe of the System

Torako
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,981.7
    A question I can answer!

I don't actually play Smash Bros anymore. But I played Smash Bros Brawl for the Wii when that was still a thing that was respectable, and I mained Kirby. I'm not sure how I picked him, though I know I started with a different character (this time based off their design. I think it was Marth). I was playing against NPCs and just really liked how Kirby operated - he could fly, he could smash people, he had a cool hammer. I wanted it. So I tried him out, and ended up sticking with him!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Wizard likes this.
  3. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    Well, the character I mained first was Mario. He was really recognizable and I did love Mario so I was drawn to him. He’s easy to pick up and play but mastering him can be difficult. I love that he’s more simplistic but that can also make or break him. He gets a lot out of a little. Mario has an strong combo game, good kill power, mobility, a projectile, one fo the best side b’s in the game, and a great recovery. He’s extremely versatile as you can be aggressive, be defensive, and in between.

Mario’s weaknesses are that he eats shut down by swords and that he can have trouble getting in. But I love him none of the less. And he has a lot of cool tools to use in his play. My favorite being his forward aerial

I found two of my mains through my experience with other games.

In any game I’m drawn towards heavy damage dealers. Like in TF2, I main Heavy Weapons Guy because he has a high health pool and he does a massive amount of damage.

So this is reflected in smash but it’s certain heavies. My favorite is Charizard. Even when I’m as bad, he clicks with me. His moves all seemed to just work for me. His special (besides his up b) are all great for me. Flamethrower for spacing, rock smash for landing or tanking blows, and flare blitz being my favorite move in the game because of its power and high risk/ high reward factor. Even fly has its uses as an out fo shield option and a aerial punish.

Zard just has so much power behind him. His bair is insanely powerful when sweet spotted. It can kill st 50% with rage. His tail moves internal just have great range and power. His f smash can kill at like 40 something. Down smash is a great punish move and catching those ledge grabs with it is oh so satisfying. His up smash is great for juggling and is disjointed. Zard just suits me very well, his aerials, specials, and grounded moves all just click with me and he’s probably my best character. I can always count on him to help me out in a match.

There are also some instances where you main a character through seeing some pretty awesome stuff. Which is how I got into maining King Dedede and Dr. Mario.

Doc is just fun for me. He has a risk factor and I honestly feel more in control of Doc than Mario sometimes. His weight and power makes his attacks satisfying to hit. And he’s just more stylish than Mario with the way his moves work. Getting capes, killing with down b, getting a shoryuken kill at 120%, and his on stage F-air are all satisfying to hit and have a great reward. Sure, he isn’t a good character but I love him.

And Dedede I got into from watching Girthquake. He’s honestly so trolly and stylish. He has the SOYO factor (Styling On Your Opponent). His moves ere fun and stayfying to land. Getting gordo set ups makes you feel like a genius. Like ledge trapping with a. Grid and the following up with a dair or up b spike is satisfying. Sometimes it feels like I’ve claimed a soul when I get though. And getting an inhale kill is hilarious too.

Dedede I general is goofy and his facial expression are great. Sure, he’s an absolutely garbage character but if you sleep on a good D3 then your soul can and will get claimed through some big brain trap set ups. And D3 can and will make you titled, which is one of his biggest strengths.

But mostly a charcater has to click with your playstyle. Heck, some good players main a low tier charcater because they like their playstyle. Even a Charizard main I watch started to win matches as pre buff Zard and pre buff Zard was a horrible character.

But that’s my little story. Hope it helps you find a main in Ultimate.

However, I change a main when they jsut don’t fit me.

I wanted to main genrinja but he’s way too technical for me. Which is a shame because I really like that Pokémon

There are also times where I cook up a character so that I can cover the weaknesses of my mains. I’m picking up Lucina so that I won’t get destroyed by another anime sword fighter.

But I’m picking up Zelda because I just like how she plays. I’m not the best Zelda player but I want to learn her.

And then there is Piranha Plant. I mean, look at that smile. Why wouldn’t you main him????????

And then I drop a charcater when I just don’t like what the developers did to them. Seriously, was it so hard to make the Pokémon have their entire move sets and not be forced to switch on death.

#3 Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    Wizard likes this.
  4. flareon71

Legegg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽392.1
    Jiggs main here

Yeah, I was unaware of how godly she was in Melee since I started smashing during the Brawl days
    Heard she was trash, actually
    So me, the obsessed Pokémon fan as well as the avid underdog supporter therefore committed myself to playing Jigglypuff and attempting to redeem her
    No idea if that worked out
    But that dedication transferred to Smash 4 where she still sucked
    Even then, character loyalty kept me hanging on, and maining such a low tier taught me some things, like with how defensive I have to play with a character like this while still having that one kill move that risks it for the biscuit
    Picking her as a character is its own risk
    But yknow, now that the puff is finally getting buffed in Ultimate, it feels satisfying that I've come this far as a Puff main
    From an aspiring player to an attempting player to someone finally getting the tools to take on the world properly

Here's to character loyalty

RadEmpoleon, Wizard and Vaquero like this.
  5. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    The first time I played as all of the characters until I found one I liked (Kirby) and then kept him for at least 3 games. Then I tried Bowser on a whim after looking in the official strategy guide and was amazed with how well I handle myself.

Honestly? I just focus on characters from my favorite franchises (Pokémon, Fire Emblem, and Kirby), use ones that I was good with (at least in my opinion), had fun using (Wario, Ganondorf, and Capt. Falcon), and whenever a new game in the series releases, just try everyone, because I don't quite know what's different from previous games.

But anyway, my main was Kirby at least until 4. I picked up Roy in Melee, Squirtle, Lucario, Meta, and Ike (which I also use in 4) in Brawl, Bowser, Shulk, Roy (again), and Cloud in 4. In Ultimate, I'm looking at trying Piranha Plant, King K Rool, Inklings, Isabelle, Simon Belmont, and all of the new Echo Fighters.

Wizard likes this.
  6. Chicken

Chicken Cringe Overlord

Sven
    (Fennekin)
    Level 51
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,412.1
    Ice Stone ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    Falco because birds are awesome.

I honestly could go for either Falco or Fox, as their move sets are nearly identical. I just chose Falco because 1) I love birds, and 2) His attacks have more attack power than Fox does, at the cost of range/speed, which I don’t really care about.

I mostly use his specials, as they’re fun to play with. Falco’s blaster is spammable and can easily annoy my opponent, and so is his reflector. Falco Phantasm can be used to get back on the stage if I fall off(which is 90% of the time), or simply dodge my opponent’s attacks. Last but not least, Fire Bird is good for upwards movement, like if I fall off the stage and it’s too late to use Phantasm.

Wizard likes this.
  7. Sheinxy

Sheinxy Black Belt

Milky
    (Shinx)
    Level 40
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,893.6
    How do I decide my smash bros main?

=> Is this character cute?
    • Yes:
      This character is now my main

• No:
      This character is never gonna be my main
    Examples:
    Pikachu
    Isabelle
    Pichu

:3

Poffin and Wizard like this.
  8. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Is it Ridley?

Yes --> He is now my main.

No --> Not my main.

Wizard likes this.
  9. Moonstruck-Mist

HoverBoots
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽544.9
    If it can hit hard and take a hit, like Shulk from the Wii U. version. I like to dish damage but also be able to take it in case I slip up. And, really, I just like his counter attack as well. It's neat, and I've never actually played his game before. I like his design, and he's the style I play as. Oh, and Lucario, too. The more damage done to it, the more damage it can dish out, and it counters as well. That's all I need in a game like that.

Wizard likes this.
  10. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Smash 64 was my first console game (not played; had played NES/SNES and Genesis for years, but only on my friends' consoles, never my own), and after trying them all out I picked Luigi and Pikachu (though I'd play as Falcon sometimes). After Melee came out, I tried everyone and ended up switching to my current mains - Marth, Ganondorf, Zelda, and Mr. Game-and-Watch. Brawl came by afterward; hated how Sonic moved, Meta-Knight was super-cheap, and while I did play Snake for awhile I just never really got the hang of him... and the rest of the new characters weren't much better. Sm4sh was more of the same - try new characters (except Lucina; I will NEVER use her), then go back to my old mainstays (before Clodhopper and Failonetta were added to the game and basically ruined it).

The same will likely occur with SSBU.

11. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    The first Smash Bros game I played was Melee, and my main was Pikachu for the longest time, since it was the only one I was most familiar with. Later, I started playing other Pokémon fighters in future games like Mewtwo, Lucario, Pokémon Trainer/Charizard, and Greninja, as well as fighters from games I'm a lot more familiar with nowadays (Kirby & Meta Knight, Link & Zelda, Bowser & Yoshi, Pit & Dark Pit, Ness & Lucas, etc.).

For Smash Ultimate, my eyes are currently on Isabelle (because she's an adorable doggo despite me never playing Animal Crossing) and Incineroar (because obviously he's a Pokémon and it's easy to tell the developers had a field day with his animations). In my heart though, Pikachu will still be my best main in all of Smash Bros.

Poffin likes this.
  12. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    Oof, I forgot about the newcomers.

I’m adding two big boos to my list.

King K Rool looks fun and really good. I love his goofy design with the realistic scales and gold belly. His personality is also quite humorous. And I love how much super and heavy armor he has. He’s also super stylish as he can get F-Air to canon ball.

Ridley just looks sick. He hits hard and overall just seems really cool. It’s a shame about two moves I dislike that he has. And comp players keep saying he’s not gonna be great but I’m still gonna try him out.

13. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,124.8
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    All of my mains (at some point)-
    Lucario and Greninja- I was a big fan of Pokémon. Lucario is a Pokémon and so is Greninja. Simple as that.
    Ike and Lucas- I was battling against my brother in Brawl (and he’s better than me) and I picked random. I got these 2 characters and I happened to beat him. So I kept picking them. (I dropped Lucas sadly because I have no money to buy dlc)
    Lemmy and Palutena- I wanted to try them out, never using Lemmy again, occasionally I’ll use Palutena.
    King Dedede- because of Khonjin’s smash hall series.
    Charizard- because of Introspective.

I also want to try all the newcomers (honestly not expecting much from Isabelle but we’ll see)

Oops, forgot about Sheik. I picked her because her character looked super cool (also I liked the edgy one in black) but I don’t play her as much because I’m bad at attacking in the air

#13 Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    Vaquero likes this.
  14. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    What was that fourth reason you've heard?

I mostly try to play everyone starting with the characters I already like. I liked F-Zero so my first SSB-64 main was Captain Falcon, and that transferred to Ganondorf where I mostly still stay. But ever since Melee I've made it a point to try every character except... except the ones whose designs I dislike. I don't care if I do like the design, but I can't actively dislike it and have it as a main. I'm looking at Pi(ka)chu, Duck Hunt, and probably Ridley too. Well, I'll try them, but probably only once.

15. Poffin

Poffin King of Destruction

Alolan Meowth
    (Alolan Meowth)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,384.2
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    My main is obvious from my current avatar/sig. Pikachu being on the box art of Melee was the very reason I even got into Smash to begin with 14 years ago. I wanted to play a Pokémon in an action game. It's mostly been character loyalty, even if I have work to do on utilizing Pika to its fullest. Pikachu is looking to be very good in Ultimate, so I must become stronger so as not to be an embarrassment.

Other characters I want to put work into, decided by love for the characters are Pokémon Trainer (All 3 Pokémon), Isabelle, Inkling, Pichu by extension of Pikachu, and Ridley.. the character I wanted most in Smash for years.

I should toy around with all of the cast a bit though since literally every character there ever was in Smash and more are in the game. Some characters I will never like playing though due to controls and pure disinterest in the characters.

16. Reckless

Reckless Won't take the easy road

PokéPoints:
    ₽666.6
    Apparently I just picked the most broken char on the roster which at the time that I played Smash Bros was with Brawl, so it happened to be Meta Knight! Drill Rush ftw!

17. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    whoever is cuter haha, and whoever i know best

I have not played too many video game series, but of those I did the series that are most important to me are Pokémon and Animal Crossing. Pikachu is a favorite but already very popular as a main, so I went with Isabelle! She fits me to a T and I'd love to play through the game with a character that isn't a Pokémon. Assuming I can get it aaa @_@