1. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Spoilers How do you feel about the games?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Sword and Shield' started by Dawn, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cure Melody
    (Meloetta Egg)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽945.9
    The games have been out for nearly two weeks now, and many of us have finished the main story. There has been a lot of controversy surrounding these games which has certainly not died down - although it IS getting less coverage from gaming news websites - but they have been well received by games journalists, sold an obscene amount of copies, and have, as all Pokémon games do, garnered a lot of praise from the now horribly split fandom.

But enough about everyone else - what do YOU think of these games? Has your opinion changed since playing them? If you haven't played the games yet - would you now, or do your original opinions still stand? How do these games compare to the rest of the series?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

*Trumpets Intensify*
    (Kyogre Egg)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽69.1
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    After spending around 35 hours on Sword version, I realized how split I am on Generation 8. To save forum space, my opinions have been divided into like, dislike, and conclusion spoiler tabs.
    Most of the new roster. I love how experimental a lot of the new Pokémon look.

Having four gym leaders be exclusive to each version. I think this makes splitting the games into two mean more than a few exclusive Pokémon.

The implementation of traditional U.K. instruments and British rock into the soundtrack was a wonderful way to pay tribute to the culture.

The wild area was an interesting way to experiment with open-world gameplay (even if the execution was messy).

Putting valuable items and high-IV Pokémon behind Max Raids gave the new format more value.

5 star max raids are just difficult enough to encourage players to work with each other.

Mint items are an absolute blessing for those who want to play competitively.

EV training and IV breeding are no longer a chore.

There were so many fun battles during the game's climax.

Gen 5 actually got some love for once.

Having Bede become the replacement fairy type gym leader was actually a decent twist.

The online is easily the most streamlined returned feature.
    The gap from the start of the game to the first gym is several hours, but from there it's just gym after gym. If the average Pokémon game was a novel, Sword and Shield would be the cliffs notes. I felt like I was getting all of the highlights without seeing any of the smaller events that happened along the way (II guess it does make replays less daunting though) .

Team Yell was really underwhelming (aside from their battle music). Not once did it ever feel like they posed any threat to the region.

The Macro Cosmos arc towards the end of the journey had zero build up (other than having the leader be a recurring character). Also what is this "disaster in 1000 years" that kept being referenced? Knowing GameFreak, they will either reveal this in the inevitable follow up games or completely ignore it.

The Battle Tower kind of felt like a last minute addition to give the game something resembling a postgame.

It's a shame the Pokémon based on Stonehenge is just three rocks with a face slapped on it.

I'm glad Sobble's final evolution has been the subject of so many memes. Just looking at it makes me uncomfortable.

The abrupt weather changes in the Wild area are really jarring.

Dynamaxed Pokémon are way too powerful.

The tabs on the Y-Com don't update quickly enough. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to join a max raid only to be told that openings are closed.
    As much as I enjoyed Sword and Shield, I think GameFreak released these games too early. They really needed more time to improve the pacing, balancing, and postgame.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachioed Moderator

Gray
    (Eevee (S))
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,830.0
    Overall I really liked these games. If anything they were actually better than I was expecting. They weren't perfect games or anything, but they were definitely enjoyable and I liked a lot of the twists to the formula. Also the soundtrack is amazing and my new favorite in the series, particularly the battle themes. I'll split the rest of my thoughts into spoiler tabs to avoid making this post too long.
    • I really liked the game's intro, with the player and Hop running into the box legendary right off the bat.
    • Having the story revolve around the Gym Challenge was also a nice change of pace. It feels like lately the Gyms (or equivalent) haven't really served much purpose as the games have become focused more on their stories. Having the gym challenge actually be the story makes the whole narrative feel a bit more natural. Plus having the league be more sports-like in its presentation makes a lot more sense than how they've been portrayed in previous games.
    • All of the supporting characters felt really well developed and their individual story-lines were interesting to see played out. Except Professor Magnolia, who was just kind of there.
    • The Gym Leaders all felt very unique and are some of my favorites in the series. My only complaint is that the version exclusive Gym Leaders apparently don't show up in the opposite version at all. It would have been nice to still have them as NPCs or something.
    • The stuff with Macro Cosmos was unfortunately very poorly paced. There's only very mild foreshadowing throughout the first 2/3rds or so of the game and the *WHAM!* everything happens at once, with very little explanation as to why. There was also a lot of build up towards the mysteries of the Galar's history, the two heroes, the "Darkest Day", etc. that ultimately goes basically nowhere.
    • The (semi-)new system of some Pokémon walking or flying around while others are randomly found in the grass is nice. I'm kind of tired of the old random encounter system that's so overused in RPGs, so its nice to get away from that while still keeping close to the spirit of the old system.
    • Dynamax is a really cool system. I wasn't really sure what to make of it before the games came out, but now I find them a really fun balance between Mega Evolution and Z-Moves. I do have a few complaints, such as not being able to get Gigantamax-able Pokémon in raids, without being able to breed them or use an item to make Pokémon be able to access their Gigantamax form or anything. Also "Gigantamax" is kind of a mouthful and I think that it should have been called 'Gigamax' instead.
    • Exp. Candy. That is all. Also I suppose Mints are kind of nice, but I haven't really used them yet.
    • Like everyone else, I've found that a lot of my favorite Pokémon were cut from the games. This isn't as big of an issue for me as it is for a lot of other people, but it will still be a bit disappointing not being able to bring in a lot of the Pokémon that I've been using for years when HOME finally comes out. I also won't be able to bring in most of the shiny Pokémon that I've caught in previous games, which is a bit of a bummer.
    • Raid battles are a lot more fun than I thought they would be. When they were first announced I thought the whole concept was stupid, but I've found them to be fun and maybe even a bit addicting. My only problems are how bad the AI trainers are (one has a Magikarp and somehow manages to not be one of the worst of them), and how ridiculously low the catch rates on Gigantamax Pokémon seem to be.
    I'm sure that there's probably a lot more that I could bring up, but I think that I'll leave it at this. Overall my opinions on this game are a bit mixed, but I enjoyed the games overall. They're nowhere near dethroning OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire as my favorite games in the series, but they're not my least favorite either.

4. Ethereal

Ethereal Snomnomnomnom

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,214.9
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I haven't brought the games, and probably never will. As much as I love a lot of the new Pokémon designs, everything else about the game is super disappointing IMO.

The lack of the NatDex is what I'm the most annoyed about. It's already been proven that the models are reused from the 3ds games, so GFs excuse about there being less mons due to having to create new models is complete bs. It's obviously just them being lazy.

The graphics. God damn are they mediocre for a switch game. Some of the cities and towns don't look bad, but the wild area is just.... Yikes.
    I hate how the Pokémon look like they're made of plastic. It makes some Pokémon (like Rillaboom and Copperajah for example) look really bad. The washed out textures in the 3ds games look half-decent in comparison...

I've also heard that the postgame is pretty much non-existent, which honestly doesn't surprise me considering how they've handled the postgames in the last few gens *coughcough*ORAS*coughcough*. Still disappointing though.

5. Jeydis

Jeydis Feral Animist

Fiesta!
    (Lombre)
    Level 37
    PokéPoints:
    ₽208.7
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    The most controversial Pokémon games to date! Man the pre-season was such a hot mess for this one. Here are my opinions on the game now that I finished the main story (havent touched the battle tower yet)
    - The change ups to the music are quite interesting, new instruments, chanting, etc. I especially like the gym battle theme and the Circhester city theme.
    - The new Pokémon designs! I ended up liking a large majorty of them once I saw them in movement. Stand outs in battle so far are Toxtricity, Frosmoth, Falinks, Perrserker as well as Clobbopus and Grapploct.
    - The wild area being pretty crazy for variety and level of mons. Terrifying for something like a nuzlocke run. Never used so many pokedolls before.
    - Raids are fun and oddly addictive, has the kinder surprise feel where you never know what will show up next.
    - The NPCs! I found myself really endeared to a large amount of the gym leaders this time around which is rather rare for me, they have a lot of personality and great designs.
    - The changes to the Elite Four set up. I know some might find it corny to battle your rivals as a final challenge but I felt like it provided better build up and story beats compared to beating 4 semi-randos (depending on the game)
    - The battle against Raihan was quite fun and it made me realize that perhaps having gyms based on themes instead of pure typing could be a great idea! The double battle weather pairings he had were really fun to battle.
    - The convenience added into the game is so nice, the new NPC fellow added to the Pokémon centers is a godsend!
    - Camping is quite fun, I wish there were a few more activities to do with your mons but watching them interact and show different animations than what they do in battle was a treat (Grapploct's running animation made me laugh out loud honestly)
    - Speaking of camping, I really enjoyed the curry dex (I am no where near done) I love the look of all the curries once done and watching the Pokémon eat can sometimes be particularly funny.
    - The towns are very charming, the environments around them as well. Really pretty and cozy.
    - Thank you dear Arceus for not sticking me with the most talkative Rotom on planet earth in this game. When I saw the Rotom dex/phone I got really worried.

- The Chairman side story at the end needed better pacing and build up. Felt seriously sprung out of no where and was way too quick overall. Still unclear as to why he released Eternatus in the first place? A better story I feel would've been that they were getting power from its egg and it breaks out and is out of control. Same sort of story beat but it makes more sense overall.
    - Wild area weather is a bit too drastic? The northern region especially, goes from sandstorm to hail all the damn time.
    - The online though neat is flaky as all get out.
    - The starters ended up being disappointing to me, not really because of their designs but because of their boring move pools. At least Rillaboom was, ended up replacing him with Appletun as soon as I could.
    - Catch rates seem really all over the place. Spent about 30 pokeballs of various types on one Falinks that was low and paralyzed at one point.
    - EXP Share being on at all times was a really odd choice? I mean I get that it makes it easier to new players but there is no harm in giving the option to turn it off if we so choose.
    - Team Yell ended up being pretty endearing and it kinda left the without a "bad guy" so there were no stakes really? As mentioned above the Macro Cosmos plot line felt seriously random and held very little weight overall.
    - More postgame would've been appreciated, there is less and less as the gens go on...

- They still havent fixed the game letting you waste healing items in combat when you select the wrong 'mon by mistake (even light joycon drift makes this happen way more often than I would like) This is the bane of my nuzlocke runs X_X.
    - I feel like the XP candies should be nerfed before you get to the "post-game" stage. Similarly to how you get a lot less watts before finishing the game, XP candies should drop less or provide less XP. It is waaaaay to easy to level up with these babies.
    - The removal of moves was a really odd choice design wise? I feel like we needed a better explanation on this before hand.
    - Customization options, though good could've used a bit more variety, I feel like the sports gear ended up taking up most of the slots but didnt offer much to vary one's style.
    - Speaking of sports gear, why can't I wear a uniform of my choice when I go into a gym? I was quite confused when I could buy these outfits before hand but not change into them for the gym battles.

And that's pretty much it for now, I probably forgot some stuff but I will edit later if needed.

6. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon CHRISTMASTIME IS HERE

Red Lobster
    (Clauncher)
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽472.9
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I haven’t gotten the games yet because I don’t have a switch, but if I did I would probably buy. On release day I read through some things that got cut from the games and I looked through the Galar dex and I’ll be honest, I was a bit skeptical of the games. I had a positive opinion on them, but this information may have tainted my view of the games. However, I listened to some of the battle themes and all my skepticism went away. The music is absolutely amazing as usual, and the cherry on top is Toby Fox’s song. I guess my viewpoint is that for what the games have, they’re great. I trust that the games are good.

7. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in You Boot

Vance
    (Treecko)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,676.8
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    All around I think these games are great, although they have a few flaws and one is quite a glaring one that have annoyed more than just me to no end. The way you connect to other people online through the Let's Go code system is extremely flawed and just a horrible way to try and connect to your friends since there's no easy access to people you have on your friend list. You wanna trade, gotta pick a code and hope you don't get a random person. Wanna battle, gotta do the same thing and hope since is impossible to pick the stamps and connect to the person directly for trades and battles. Is it the single biggest issue I have with these games and it is quite a major one in my opinion, easily being able to connect with friends is a huge plus to me if is not there is a bummer.

Is not all bad however, I really like a lot of the designs and do have my own favorites and even a mon I've gotten really attached to since it was first shown in the E3 demo. The music is nice, the game over all look nice I think, it looks like I'd expect a pokémon game to look.

8. Grimwave

Grimwave The Nightmare King

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽69.1
    Dome Fossil ★★★Premier Ball ★Darkinum Z ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Aside from the horrible online code system, I think it's fun and unlike other Pokémon games I'm still playing after I've done everything in the game for the most part. Filling the dex was a lot easier and getting competitive ready mons is too so breeding is realistic for me this gen and is something I'm spending time on.

9. Azazel

Azazel Pick a lord and you pray to it

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,434.9
    They aren't bad, idk why people are so up in arms. The teams had only like a year to do these games, what do you want?