1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

How do you gather inspiration/reference?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by guest, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

PokéPoints:
    ₽723.0
    Do you collect a lot of images, or a specific amount each time?
    Do you search beyond the main theme of the image, or focus on relevant images?
    Where do you gather your resources from, and when? Before starting the image, or during the drawing process?
    I'm not used to actively collecting images before starting a drawing something but it's something I should definitely start doing. Hearing how you guys go about it would be a good starting point.

2. ShiroLugia

ShiroLugia ✂ No Longer Human.

PokéPoints:
    ₽478.5
    I'm an anime artist, so I'll just give you what I know from that! TvT Yes, I collect lots of images, no set amount but enough depending on what kind of drawing I'm doing. Usually my references are for poses or figuring out how something would be made. I focus on relevant images and sometimes, look for something slightly different than what I anticipated for an entirely different outcome. I gather inspiration/ ideas from e-shuuhuu.net usually. It has an abundance of anime images as well as their sources, so I can find more artists with similar styles. It's key to draw "inspiration" and not copy though. I like to keep this in mind. For posing a bit more dynamic and specific, I also use Posemaniacs.com (I believe it's called) where you can find thousands of different poses and angles. Just collect images that draw your interest or appear to have a unique feel to them. Even google them if you have to. Like "stars" or "water and sky" etcetc, whatever you need. I would keep a spare file too, to store all your references. Hope this helps out! Don't be afraid to draw ideas from something!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. guest

PokéPoints:
    ₽723.0
    Thanks for mentioning the site, I've had a look at it and they have a bunch of nice pictures, I'm surprised I haven't heard of such a useful resource before. I've used posemaniacs and google a couple of times and I've collected some pictures from pinterest for the drawing i'm doing now. I'll definitely check out e-shuushuu next time, though!
    I don't think I've had the chance to talk to you before now actually, it's nice to meet you. :)

ShiroLugia likes this.
  4. Amaterasufox

Amaterasufox Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    It really depends what you're inspiration is and how long you're willing to spend on the piece? : o​
    Like for me, if I have trouble on a pose then i'll probably use one or two references?​
    Other than that the only inspiration I have is instrumental epic music to set the mood right! c:​

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    I usually go on mass image collecting when I have free time, but other than that I try searching for images and inspirations on art sites and try looking at tutorials.
    I don't necessarily go with that style, but I do just like looking at a different perspective.
    I usually go on Tumblr, Devianart, and Google images for inspiration.

6. XxGinger-the-starxX

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    I usually pick em up when I start to draw cause usually the idea of drawing something pops up randomly then I try to draw without a reference. But then I feel like im really not doing it right so then I go to google images and grab an image for reference X3 I use references for poses a lot as well because most of my art is just standing still and smiling or frowning which can get old really fast.

7. Deltheor

Deltheor The Demon of Shikoku

Cronos
    (Charmander)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,242.8
    When drawing, I always look up references for the specific character(s) I'm trying to draw beforehand (unless I have already memorized their design), and I usually look up other various references I need in the form of actual photos for any background/color references. I can draw backgrounds decently most of the time, but looking at photos of similar areas and seeing how the light works and the colors blend together really helps, and can help influence my color palette for the drawing. For special effects like fire and whatnot, I usually just eyeball it, haha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.