1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

How do you get out of art/writer's block?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by RadEmpoleon, Sep 25, 2021.

1. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,111.9
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Hi, just want to see y'alls responses! yes I said y'alls
    I feel like recently I've been stuck in a drawing rut. I have plenty of ideas in mind, but then when I actually sit down and try, I just stop after a short amount of time. I also find myself busy with schoolwork and such, so I don't have that much time to set aside for drawing. (The same goes for writing, but to a lesser extent. I prefer drawing to writing.) What helps you to get out of a block?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I know this isn't for everybody, but when I write or draw I usually have something playing in the background. I draw while watching a youtube video that I've been meaning to watch, and I write while watching a cooking or crime show. Sometimes my focus gets diverted from my writing or drawing, so it takes a longer time for me to get through it than it would if I was solely focusing on it. However, when I watch something else that keeps me from getting distracted and doing something else entirely. As long as I'm watching the show, with each episode being forty five minutes long, I'm writing.

Some days I hit a writing rut where I can just sit there and still not get more than a paragraph or two, but that's okay. It happens sometimes. That's when I take a break, plot out exactly where I want to take my chapter or drawing, and come back to it later.

3. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,913.7
    If I'm stuck or blocked on something, here are some of my no fail tricks:

--Listen to music (I have had whole chapters/episodes inspired by songs)
    --Read/watch/play something in the genre I'm trying to write in
    --Read/watch/play something completely different from what I am trying to write
    --Go back over my outline/research and look for something that might unstick my block
    --Find a writing prompt of some kind that might fit in your story's world--it may not be very long, or very good, but it might be enough to unstick my block.
    --If superpowers/magic is involved in the story, go find some power names from as much media as you can find, and write what YOU think a power of that name might look like (there are lots of shows/games that are gold mines for spell/power ideas!)
    --Find a random generator to kick start where you're stuck
    --Walk away from the project for a while--whether its a few minutes or a few months, see what inspires you in the meantime.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #3 Sep 25, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  4. Katanaeyegaming

Katanaeyegaming #FEARTHEWYVERN

Darklit
    (Liepard)
    Level 44
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,810.3
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    2 things.

Listening to music(Black metal while writing is my spirit animal)
    Pacing around my room for a few minutes then going back to whatever I had been working on.

5. DuoM2

Groudon Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,398.7
    For art block, I just normally wait for a super good idea to just naturally cross me, and then more decent ones will follow. My most recent ones were a potato cat that resembles my fat Pikachu avatar on some socials and a stereo mech for a mixtape.

6. LassusVulpes

LassusVulpes Eclipse Holder

THE BIGGEST FLEX
    (Giratina (Origin))
    Level 55
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,981.8
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    say sneepsnop to myself for hours till I got insane, than go back to working.

Katanaeyegaming likes this.
  7. Katanaeyegaming

Katanaeyegaming #FEARTHEWYVERN

Darklit
    (Liepard)
    Level 44
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,810.3
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    As funny as this is if it works then more power to you.