1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

How do you guys get visibility?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Pyrophobic Quilava, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Pyrophobic Quilava

Blader
    (Treecko)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,207.7
    So after about 5 months, I'm back publishing my art on social media.

Considering all my notes, I'm not that hopeful for Facebook, pages are dead weight by now unless you're posting memes, and profiles... well profiles don't fare so well with me just to keep posting art.

Tumblr is a possibility, but quite hit or miss on small amounts, Tweeter only if something is bombing... and Deviant Art is an unpopular drop in a sea of tits, watchers and groups don't really help.

How do you guys get views on your drawings?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I use Instagram, tumblr, and deviantart. Tumblr is really hard if you aren’t already popular. Insta is my favorite because you can tag your art and I’ve been doin okay with that! For deviantart I use groups and engage in group activities. It’s tough but not impossible if you’re determined enough.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Chicken

Chicken Cringe Overlord

Sven
    (Fennekin)
    Level 51
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,412.1
    Ice Stone ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    I’ve used Insta for photography and Twitter for pure shitposing. The tip is to always follow people who follow you if you would like to keep your followers. As for DeviantArt, I’m not so sure myself because my art is (sadly) not getting a lot of attention because I mainly publish original ones. If you would like to gain popularity quicker, I’d say follow the current trends, watch a lot of people, give lots of llamas and join lots of groups.

I don’t use Tumblr because I cringed looking at the posts without even creating an account.

4. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    I'll try list my thoughts on some of the more popular social media for art and some tips? I dunno how helpful it'll be but I'll try!!
    • On Tumblr my photography and art only get lots of notes if they're a certain aesthetic or of a popular Pokémon/fandom.
    • Plus there's very limited ways to interact with others.
    • If I'm remembering correctly only the first 5 tags you tag are the tags that your art will show up on so be smart about what tags are the first 5.

• dA is actually not as bad as people say. I get many commissions and people engaging with my art there. More than most places.
    • You just need to know how to market your self there. Join groups, comment on other people's art, post in thumbshare forum, give out llamas etc.
    • Also remember to tag your art to be found!

• I don't use instagram for my digital art but I have been struggling with it for my photography. My followers have stagnated at the same number for about half a year now and other than likes I don't get much engagement from other users.
    • You can use up to 30 #s on instagram and I recommend using them if you can.

• Twitter is good if you're in a niche community (a toyline, a small fandom etc) and like to interact with them but unless you're already popular or friends with someone who is it's hard to get noticed.
    • People on twitter dont like people who use loads of #s so keep it down to maybe 3.

• I kinda use FB for my photography but it's kind of an after throught. I just kinda slap it up there and run off.

You're really good at drawing Pokémon in scenes and interacting so I recommend trying dA and joining a PMD group where people draw their characters interacting with others.

#4 Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  5. VicTheJolteon

Eric
    (Vulpix)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽157.2
    Thunder Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I would recommend connecting your profiles together, all of your viewers with then be able to see all that you have to show.

6. Pyrophobic Quilava

Blader
    (Treecko)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,207.7
    Woah, lots of thoughtful advices and experience sharing!

This used to work back in the day I did Pokémon strips (which I really should go back on doing, to this day I see some people stealing it now and then).

My problem with dA groups (besides being annoying as hell to list) is that they once worked but now are dry wells of spam. Popular art barely needs it nowadays, so what you're left is competing with about 3k other pictures, used to be a fair game even so, but earlier this year I tried the groups I had which used to be popular and didn't work, would you recommend new groups?

Yeah I'm about to try drawing that browsette thing, I do remember few successes with this, but mostly on facebook.

Oh so this is true? I kinda heard of it as a rumor.

Any rule of thumbs for the forums?

Yeah, lots of marketing articles and channels say it becamea dry well after facebook tried to implement its algorithms on it. I gave it a shot by actually paying it and it was quite disappointing. Also what is the deal with jpgs? Would it be too damn hard for them to just convert it?

The ones I have don't help me anymore, recommend any?

You mean on facebook-instagram? Because I am, I think the only effective way would be if I had put the page on a more commercial profile, which is preferable to the algorithm nowadays.

Okay, time to contribute to this conversation:

Early this year facebook made a better algorithm on how to track things (AKA you know who actually saw it and not just popped up on the feed and people didn't scroll down that far to see it).

My facebook page has 558 likes, and if I leave it on their own (AKA just posting), it succeeds in growing as well as one would expect to plant apples on Venus.

I finally came back to it again and I have about the same popularity i had when I left, which is good, because it means facebook isn't trolling me like some times it actively does.

In 6 hours of posting at the best time of the day for me (midday), I got 1554 people reached, and 57 clicks.

As for interaction overall, I had 49, just keep in mind that this includes shares of my own, which were 23 of them. ANd 3 comments of mine answering people.

Facebook is, unsurprisingly, the best way to go for trends if you want quick clicklybaity things as long as you don't link anything outside their website (use comments for that).

My record on facebook was over 14k views in 2 days by doing some black panther strip well timed.

THE PROBLEM with this is that, while this is perfect for a page of memes to go more or less around this route and grow, art takes a little more polish.

You will get the likes, but commenting and more importantly, sharing, is hard.

Mostly because this reach profit comes only from group sharing. People in groups feel comfortable just looking there and rarely will share your post since they're technically already subscribed to a means to see more of you. Facebook is not exactly a place you want people to see beautiful art, they want to share what is funny.

Had I paid for it, and not did that, I would get about 700 reach in a week, note that posts die down within 3 days or so unless you're lucky.

Facebook is sometimes easy trigger discussion sometimes, but eventually people tire down on this, but groups frown upon asking for shares.

Also unlike deviant art, just because you post something doesn't mean it will even get to people that follow you.

I have little data on Tumblr and even less on instagram, I don't have anything worth mentioning.

I found google+ to be a roulette on how to get followers, if anyone can enlighten me on this I would love it because apparently the algorithm is actually interested in helping you despite having horrible statistics.

As for deviant art... I may need new groups. All what you guys said is true, for me 10, 7 years ago.

This is the highest I ever went for:

https://www.deviantart.com/tsumerai-kyon/art/shYning-pokemon-252053153

And it took me 21 groups, I think.

So yeah, it does work but if you go check my galery... it is quite underwhelming.

Also yeah I'm keeping track of all this data.

7. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I'm not trying to come off as rude when I say this, but maybe stop focusing so much on the algorithm and focus more on what you actually like drawing? I know its hard not to be like "but i need followers!". Arts just so much more enjoyable when you aren't stressed about it.

But I do recommend smaller groups. And not super big popular ones.

8. Pyrophobic Quilava

Blader
    (Treecko)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,207.7
    I draw Pokémon because I enjoy making them in the last 19 years =)

As for the giving up the algorithm thingy... just no.

I'm sorry but, I drew what I want without caring if it would get popular for a long time, and that didn't help me at all in life. I'm not giving the lecture of "you won't do what you want in life", quite the opposite, I'm doing what I want in my life, I'm drawing, and I'm writing. But I won't survive on that if I don't take it as a bussiness soon enough.

Posting here on the forum is fun, I don't expect to get 1k views here, I like Pokémon, and the community is heartwarmingly nice and shares my passion, I like talking about it. In deviant art this can be found sometimes, but not often unless you have a fanbase, going even further on social media, there is no such thing, it very easily falls into a desert with few posts, might as well not bother going there if you just draw for yourself.

Whenever you publish a work that isn't on a big company with a marketing department, being it a book, comics or whatever... the only way you can get money to survive is getting a valuable reach. Even to people that are lucky enough to just get fans as they go along, they smart up and start promoting their patreon, the shares may come naturally to them, but advertising to get revenue does not, so they smart up and say it as much as they can.

I also am doing commissions around my country, as for now, my name is not know, I cannot ask for much, nor I can say my own name will promote their work, if I could, it would make life much easier.

I don't really like sharing on groups, it is boring, but I'm doing because I do love what I make, and I think my art deserves some love, I want people to see and feel wonder, like I feel when I look for art on my own. I want my books to be read, not being some abandoned dust nobody ever heard about.

9. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Not once did I say you weren't doing what you want in life? Omg?

I don't know what other kind of art you do besides Pokémon considering this is a Pokémon forum and all. Try branching out, try new things. Getting noticed is hard. I know. I'm going through it too. I know if I saw the same content over and over I'd get bored fast. Even as an artist, I get bored if I draw in the same style over and over and over again.

10. Pyrophobic Quilava

Blader
    (Treecko)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,207.7
    The way you said about focus on what I like felt like drawing Pokémon wasn't something I enjoy.

The talk about my life was done because I was sounding too much like "THIS IS NOT HOW THINGS WORK!" and all serious as if I was being an editor on Shonen jump lol

I do other styles =) I have some concept arts for my book, and I just done illustrations for a book completely out of my comfort zone. Today I also tried some lilypichu-esque style, that was fun, didn't think I could pull it off.

What is one style you think you should try btw?

11. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    uhh i really enjoy lineless? but thats mainly my own style. Have you ever tried like a painter-esque type style?

12. Pyrophobic Quilava

Blader
    (Treecko)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,207.7