1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

How do you learn new techniques?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by awney, Sep 6, 2018.

1. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I've noticed quite a few of us on LV tend to stick to our own styles as a comfort zone and don't really branch off much for new techniques. Nothing wrong with that! Do what you enjoy! But when you do pick up a new technique here and there how do you do it? Do you learn from tutorials, watching other people (videos, irl, etc), or do you just play around with your art program until you find something?

I find new techniques by looking at other art and watching videos on art! My weird bubble shading I do now was because I was inspired but some art I saw elsewhere, and I really wanted to try something similar but still keep it my own! I also started messing around with filters because I wanted to see how much more FireAlpaca had to offer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    more art threads???? hell yeet

i feel like my overall style is pretty much established in a general feeling, so i tend to pick up new lighting/shading/ect more than anything!! its really a mix of both seeing artists i like and dinking around in csp so i guess i dont have one certain way i do things??

my sister really inspired some elements of my style so please thank her and also her art is good thats off topic a bit but its true if it inspired me

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    I watch videos on art, and try to get books on art (a tad rare and expensive if you want something other than 'How to Draw [insert popular tv show/video game here]' where I live). I used to speak with/watch others draw irl but currently I don't know any artists locally that I can visit so easily.

4. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    whenever i want to tweak my style i scavenge the internet for the other 7 cartoon artists that exist and study what they do with their art and apply it to mine in my own way. my recent pieces with the "fake pen pressure" were inspired by a speedpaint i saw that used a similar technique that made me think "oh i wanna try that!!" other times it's me frustrated on medibang because i have no clue what my style's supposed to be so i just random try things and hope it looks good lmao

5. Pyrophobic Quilava

Blader
    (Treecko)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,207.7
    Usually see what someone else did and try to replicate it. You know, the old sharingan way.

When that doesn't work I hope to find a very detailed tutorial, but that is rare to find nowadays.

6. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Usually when I learn new techniques it's just because I was comfortable enough to do some experimenting. It was how I learned how to do shading, but with my traditional art, and my digital art.

7. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I mess around with every setting, and I listen to advise from other artists, when I need to learn something like how to make glows or something small, I usually look up tutorials.