1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

How do you make your team?

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Pixel, Oct 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pixel

Pixel Aether Child

Thamill
    (Larvitar)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽274.5
    Ice Stone ★★★★Lucarionite ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    When you play through any game of Pokémon, the main point of the game is to make a team of Pokémon that you can use effectively to battle against the strongest trainers. But how do you do this? Do you use your favourites every time? Do you have a set strategy or type combination? Do you have one or two Pokémon that are on your team every time, and then you fill the rest of the slots with HM slaves? Or you do leave up to Chansey? These questions are the reasons for this thread; a source of inspiration for those who are stuck at a rut when thinking of good additions to a team for a play-through (hence why this isn't in the Competitive team Building section). I'll start by giving an example.

In my latest playthrough of Pokémon X, I've decided to build a team around the starter I ended up choosing, Froakie, but only using Pokémon I hardly use, and some that aren't as popular as others. I ended up with a team consisting of Greninja, Hawlucha, Rhyperior, Mega Gengar, Scizor and, oddly, Mr. Mime. I chose these 6 Pokémon because they cover each other's weaknesses very well, and provide a 1:1 ratio of physical attackers and special attackers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Almandine-G

Almandine-G All Men Are Equal

Eggu-Sama
    (Odd Egg)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽25.4
    I, well, use probably a bad way of team building in terms of beating the games: rather than picking out Pokémon based off their typing, covering each other then maybe an hm slave or two, I generally use Pokémon that I've never used before and cram the onto a team together and just hope it works. If not, I'll make it work! I never use HM Slaves, I just put up with HMs till the league when I then remove unnecessary ones such as Cut. Usually, when team building for a game though, I do like to make sure I have a mon that can surf, and a flying mon is pretty cool to have too but not exactly necessary.

Sometimes the mon I pick is one I previously had no real intentions or desire to use, like Quagsire for instance on my Soul Silver run.

And most times when picking my team, I'll predetermine the crew, and if a member of it is one I can only get late-game (such as Snover on DP) I usually breed for one on another game then trade the egg over to the new game so that I have it early on (I know it's a bit of a cheat, but I don't wanna have to wait till gym 7 or something to get my last member haha)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Pixel likes this.
  3. CountessGardevoir

PokéPoints:
    ₽350.5
    Just like OfficialRedG, I use Pokémon I've never used before just to see what happens

Pixel likes this.
  4. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I've tried pre-determining my team, but it's never worked out nicely for me. In the actual games, I tend to train whoever happens to be useful for the coming gym, either picking new Pokémon from a nearby route or coming back to someone I haven't trained in a while.

For instance: I'm in Hoenn, about to face Wallace. I feel like I could go for having an Electric on my team (because Blaziken's a liability there). I'm going to have to choose between catching a Chinchou from the surrounding wildlife or going back to that Electrike I trained for Winonia and try to build him up to Manectric. It's a tossup.

This said, the ordering of Gym Types has a significant influence on how trained the individuals on my team are. If the next region happens to have its sixth through eighth gyms be Dark, Grass, and Psychic, you can bet I'll have a few well-trained bugs on my team. Otherwise, probably not. It's the main factor.

Pixel likes this.
  5. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,888.1
    I try to balance my team based on Pokémon that have served me well in the past. I don't worry about natures and stats--I just work with whatever I happen to get.

But if Pikachus are availiable in the wild, a female Pikachu named Lita will appear somewhere on the team at some point.

6. JirachiWish

JirachiWish You only get two wishes

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    I mostly choose Pokémon I find cute and then train them up with Super Training. I try not to have two Pokémon of the same type, although having one that's poison and another that's grass/poison is okay. I think it's fun having super strong cutesie Pokémon; my Minun really packs a punch.

7. Nate

pooper scooper
    (Meltan)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.9
    I usually use a combination of Pokémon I love to use and Pokémon I've never used before while also making sure I don't repeat types!

Pixel likes this.
  8. Reborn

Reborn Signature Creator

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,993.3
    To be honest I usually find one Pokémon being the MVP being able to beat even Pokémon with a better type matchup, especially if it has some sort of set up move. Once I have that Pokémon I just fill the rest of the slots with Pokémon I like and have the best utility while making sure I have something that beats the Pokémon my MVP can't handle.

Pixel likes this.
  9. CountessGardevoir

PokéPoints:
    ₽350.5
    Here's an XD team I recently made:

Vaporeon/Houndoom/Claydol/Gardevoir/Roselia/Magneton

Moves matter more to me than stats

10. Pixel

Pixel Aether Child

Thamill
    (Larvitar)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽274.5
    Ice Stone ★★★★Lucarionite ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    For those who aren't sure what [member='CountessGardevoir'] meant, she was referring to the game Pokémon X D. Putting the space between the letters doesn't make it change to this XD

11. CountessGardevoir

PokéPoints:
    ₽350.5
    Yes, the one w/Bonsly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.