1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

How Do You Pick Your Starter?

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by phineas81707, Feb 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phineas81707

PokéPoints:
    ₽54.8
    A new region has just come out, and you're ready to get started. Just one question before you can get ready for the route- how do you choose your starter?

For me, I believe my first choice in starter was because I always did prefer Fire as an elemental power to Water and Grass. After that... I mostly chose starters by what I had heard about them (and then eventually, through experience), and in the case of Gen V in particular, what else is influenced by the starter (I'm a bigger fan of the monkeys than most).
    And then Gen VI came along and introduced the starter I found so adorable, it's also my only plush. Not choosing it wasn't an option for me.

2. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I look at the full evos design and pick my favorite aesthetic. That's a lot of how I play, at least in non-metagame. I pick the Pokémon I like based on their apparent personality or visual style and run with them. Sometimes it's an easy choice for me (Feraligatr and Emboar are clear winners for me), and sometimes it's harder (I like every Kalos starter and none of the Sinnoh starters).

I have yet to play a Kalos game (Z will be my first), and I just recently decided upon Chesnaught. Yeah, fighting types are overdone, but Greninja is too popular and I don't use Grass often enough (no Grass starter yet is my favorite starter of that generation, except maybe Chessy.) I could double back on that though, but the deciding factor will be the same: the visual style I like best.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,397.0
    My first time through I game, I will almost always pick the grass starter (Cyndaquil being the exception). I've probably used Torterra 7 or 8 times by now in DPPt. I don't typically pick what I feel like, however, it's just typical that the grass starter ends up being my favorite as my fav starters from each generation are Venusaur, Typhlosion, Sceptile, Torterra, Serperior, and Chesnaught, 5 out of 6 grass starters. I just think that they are superior, and although I try to be fair and research all of them, the grass just always appeal to me the most.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. PROJECT: Glaceon

PROJECT: Glaceon PKMN Breeder

PokéPoints:
    ₽27.0
    I have a preference for fire, but I can't stand fire/fighting. I'm not a big fan of water either. So, I usually pick the fire starter, but when it's fire/fighting I go with the grass one instead.

Charmander, Cyndaquil, Treecko, Turtwig, Snivy, Fennekin

5. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,937.8
    Whichever one looks the coolest and/or will be the most helpful in the early game. This means I lean towards the fire or the water starter.

Kanto: Squirtle/Bulbasaur (one of the rare times I've picked the grass starter)
    Johto: Cyndaquil/Totodile
    Houen: Torchic
    Shinou: Chimchar
    Unova: Oshawott
    Kalos: Fennekin

6. Starry Windy

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.1
    Personally, I tend to pick my starter depending on how cute/cool it looks, its variety of moves and all. Usually I favor Bulbasaur because I like its Ivysaur form, Treecko because of its Absorb move, Chimchar because it looks so awesome, and even more when it becomes Infernape, Snivy for having regal evolved form, Oshawott for being so cute, and Fennekin for being a cute little foxie.

7. Vanillite

Vanillite Cat Lady

PokéPoints:
    ₽139.4
    In my first play through, I generally pick the starter whose design I like the most, and then build the rest of my Pokémon team around it. If I play through again later on, I may choose a different Starter for it's stats or something. Most often, though, I pick the water starter. I usually find their designs most appealing, my favorites being Totodile and Piplup.

8. Pari

Pari poyo

Andromeda
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽350.3
    Usually I choose whoever's final evolution I like the most. If there are two I like, I use one in one game and the other in the second. I'm pretty much all about aesthetic, ahah. In-game runs, stats don't matter too much for me. Like Snivy. Sure, it doesn't have the best offensive stats, but Serperior is cool so I'll use it.
    Basically it boils down to if I like its appearance or not. I'll be going through most of the game with it fully evolved, so I might as well like it, haha.

9. Aiko

Aiko Anti-Shadow Weapon

SS Egg #2
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.2
    Lure Ball ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Ultra Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I usually pick the water starter, but it really just depends on how cool/cute it looks for me.

10. BiohazardSr

BiohazardSr My name is Sid. Sid the Bard

PokéPoints:
    ₽71.6
    I actually follow a set pattern. I started on grass, water, and then fire. I started on sapphire and now I'm here again with sapphire. Only broke that pattern recently with choosing mudkip

11. Kuroshi Heki

PokéPoints:
    ₽193.3
    In all honesty when I pick starters I go by the type and if I think they are cute or not. I'm not really one for what stats are better etc I just go for looks and what not. Although in most cases I go for the Grass or Fire starter.

12. Megarai111

Megarai111 Elizabeth 3rd

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.6
    I pretty much always stick to the Water type, because that's my favourite. I also base my decisions on the design of the starter.
    *remembers how people reacted when Quilladin got released

13. Crest

Crest Hex Maniac

Tirion
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽198.0
    For the most part, I just pick whichever starter is the most attractive (including its other evolutions) to me. It's pretty much always the Water or Grass-type starter with that, since I tend to find them a little cuter.

14. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,983.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I usually picked based on design and typing of the stage 2 evolution since I might as well pick the one I like the most at least for the first playthrough.

15. Pokémist

Pokémist Trashcan

smol heart
    (Luvdisc)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,860.3
    Tapunium Z ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    In my first game i picked Balbasaur which is grass type but exept that i prefer water/ fire type Pokémons. My most of the starters are water type and fire type but i have grass type starter too.

16. 8542Madness

PokéPoints:
    ₽153.9
    I choose a starter based on their stats and strengths. Sometimes I'll choose one that looks cool, but that usually happens if I'm already unsure of what I want. I'm very picky about choosing Pokémon that will perform the best in battle regardless of looks, and that strongly influences my starter choices.

17. Butternut

Butternut The Coolest Spider

Joltik
    (Joltik)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,905.8
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Ultra BallCrown of Valor
    I used to always pick them on design meaning that I ended up picking the fire type a lot. But I've recently been replaying the old games and picked different starters, so for the new generation it might just be grass or water for once xD

18. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    I'm really shallow and pick Pokémon by appearance, usually by if they're cute or not. That's what I've done all my life. Be it Squirtle, Chikorita, Torchic, Piplup, Oshawatt, or Fennekin. Granted I dislike how some of their evolutions look like, but you gotta start off cute man.

19. SnowKing

SnowKing Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    I choose Pokémon based on its abilities. Whichever i think is strong, i pick. I like fire types but if that is too weak. Head back. It seems to be cruel but its not. I dont throw them out of my team, but just switch places with other Pokémon.

20. Fizzysoda

Fizzysoda Valor Lake Cryptid

(Jirachi Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,390.9
    Soda Pop ★Reaper Cloth ★★★Amulet Coin ★★★
    Mudkip, Squirtle, Piplup, Totodile, Oshawott, and you guessed it....
    Fennekin.

Looking at my chosen 'mons for each generation, I may look like I prefer water types but honestly, I just picked them because I thought they're cute.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.