1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

How Do You Pick Your Starter?

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by phineas81707, Feb 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teddybear2345

Teddybear2345 Which is cooler, to be cool, or uncool?

PokéPoints:
    ₽529.7
    Rage Candy Bar ★★★Bicycle ★★Razz Berry ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★Slowpoke Tail ★★★★
    I usually determine what starter I will use by this simple method(s)
    + cuteness factor
    + moveset
    + evolutionary line
    + nickname potential
    + what dual type it becomes/if any

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. PokeMaster1

PokeMaster1 Dragon Tamer

PokéPoints:
    ₽141.3
    How I pick my Starter.....well mostly before I usually chose the Fire Type Starter as I started to like Fire types....nowadays I will either go by the looks or by dual types/movepools and how much use I can make of it during the run through the story. Mudkip was my first Pokémon ever since I was just starting out, then after beating it I reset and chose Torchic, then got Pokémon Silver a friend just flat out gave me, and chose Cyndaquil and wrecked an E4 with a 6 Typhlosion army(ended up with at least 50+ wins lol), and then proceeded on choosing the Fire Types after. I usually will restart the games just to see how the others will fare compared to the runs with a Fire Type, but solely based on movepools, looks, and types.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Teddybear2345 likes this.
  3. TripleAAABattery

TripleAAABattery Look at my fluff! LOOK AT IT

Gottem
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 45
    PokéPoints:
    ₽991.0
    Usually, I pick my starter based on how "DERP :P" it is.

Example: Gen 5: Oshawott

Gen 6: Chespin

Gen 3: Mudkip

Of course, if not with that, I just go with the least popular of the three.

Example: Gen 4: Turtwig

Gen 2: Chikorita (Heavily regretted that decision :/)

Gen 1: Squirtle

4. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Camper

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    I pick starters based entirely on aesthetics.

5. Noctis

Noctis *this message has been removed*

PokéPoints:
    ₽65.0
    Typically, I'll look at the growth of the Pokémon more than anything. Knowing that the Pokémon will not be at full competitive value the moment I get it, I won't necessarily spend too much time on it, though. But when I'm playing through the game just for fun and not looking to build competitive Pokes, what skills and moves it has plays a huge factor because I can create a fun little team with odd synergy. ^_^

6. Manaphymajic1999

PokéPoints:
    ₽42.9
    Generally, I choose the fire types, Hoenn was an exception (How could anyone not choose Mudkip, that adorable lil' Ground/Water type, yes you are.) [Clears throat] Of course, there is usually a reason why I choose the Fire types. Mostly it is due to the first few gyms typings. Hoenn, Torchic/Combusken learns Double Kick as well as Peck; DPPt, Chimchar/Monferno rekt the first few gyms. Yeah fire types rule

7. Nate

pooper scooper
    (Meltan)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.9
    I always go purely off of looks for the first playthrough. When I re-play through games again I usually go off of which type benefits the other Pokémon I plan on using the most.

8. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    For me it is a choice based on design, but I usually play the game again with my second choice starter, I do seem to have a preference for Water/Fire.

Squirtle, Cyndaquil, Torchic, Piplup, Oshawott and the ever popular Fennekin.

9. EchoSouls

EchoSouls Contributor

PokéPoints:
    ₽132.2
    When playing older games I tend to choose the one that I remember the most from when i was younger. (Piplup, Torchic, Chikorita, Snivy)

Recently i've been choosing based of one that has an apperence similar to an animal I like (Like Fenniken) or the ones with the best final evolutions (Treeko, Snivy, Charmander, Chimchar). It depends on the mood i'm in on the day when I have to choose.

Sometimes I choose one of the cutest, though (Mudkip, Oshawatt, Torchic)

10. Nyan

Nyan Youngster

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.3
    Hmm, I guess I usually pick my starter based on appearance... But now that I think about it, I tend to lean towards fire types the most.

11. timberjacke

PokéPoints:
    ₽59.9
    I don't usually pick on them by appearance. I've a water type streak ever since my first Pokémon game and I intend to keep it. :>

12. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    I generally choose fire types by default, but I will choose another Pokémon if it has an interesting typing and if it has an awesome design.

13. ~Nova~

~Nova~ Birby Friend

PokéPoints:
    ₽284.5
    I choose based on appearance and the final evolutions, though I seem to choose water most often.

Charmander, Totodile, Mudkip, Turtwig, Oshawott, and Fennekin

(although I did choose Treecko on my second playthrough and I love it, it's sort of a tie)

14. Cartridge

Cartridge Swimmer

PokéPoints:
    ₽368.5
    In a first play through of a new game I generally pick my starter based off my close friends. We have a sort of draft for picking starters that we have been doing for ages. We determine who gets first pick out of the three of us and you can't pick the same starter as another person. So in about 3 minutes we have all are starters picked out. When restarting a game, starting a nuzlocke etc. I always pick the grass starter, except in Generation 3, grass starters have always been my pick since Kanto no matter stats and appearance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.