1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

How do you type?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Owly, Aug 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Owly

Owly Friend of the Eco, Foe of the System

Torako
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,981.7
    In what style do you type: "hunt and peck" or "properly," with all ten fingers?

Personally, I hunt and peck. At one point I did do a few typing lessons (more like I took part in some online lessons of my friend's), but it didn't stick with me. I'm a very fast typer just with my pointer fingers and thumb, so I don't mind too much.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    At one point I took a few rudimentary typing lessons with my school. This had to be almost 20 years ago. Ever since then, I've been self-taught.

My average typing speed is now 100 words per minute, and I think it goes up by 1-2 wpm every year. I may have hit my upper limit, but when it comes to speed, I will not be outdone. It's one of those things I can take extreme pride in; I didn't look at my keyboard once when typing this post.

3. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I think my average typing speed without errors is anywhere from 85-95 WPM. It's not outstanding but I'm still feeling pretty good where I am at the moment. I have what you could call "piano fingers", where my fingers are very long and thin, so that helps me cheat a bit when reaching for the keys on different ends. XD

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. An Evil Wizard

An Evil Wizard The Ironic Mage

Chef Boyardee
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.7
    Fightinium Z ★★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★Beedrillite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I type semi-properly without having to look at the keys. If I can remember correctly, my typing speed is around 50-70 WPM.

5. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    I used to hunt and peck since I couldn't type without looking at the board, but my parents set me up with several typing games and now I'm fully capable of typing on a keyboard without looking at it.

They now say the sound of my typing is like gunfire :D

6. Tepig

Tepig The Talking Tepig

Fire Nation
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 29
    PokéPoints:
    ₽595.9
    Assault Vest ★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★
    I remember in Primary School when I used to hunt and peck, I was thinking 'How do people get so good at typing?' Now I type regularly at about 50-70wpm (slowly getting better) and I think back to that, I somewhat surprise myself.

Also, I never heard single finger typing be called 'hunt and peck' before. That cracked me up when I saw it!

7. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    Thanks to several typing lessons in school, I type properly (except on one keyboard where the letters have worn off and don't always go through) and my WPM, back in grade school, was nearing 120 if I remember!

8. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I kind of do both. I used to 'hunt and peck' and I went through several typing games in an attempt to teach me to touch type. Nothing worked until I got into fanfiction and I began to get faster at typing. I use this hybrid combination where I alternate between looking at the screen and my hands, but it's quick, so I don't have an issue with it.

9. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    I used to have to hunt-and-peck for everything, but after having written a lot of fanction my typing speed is limited solely by the fact that my brain processes what I want to say slowly, so I often have to pause to think of the words that I want to use. I think I average about 50 wpm.

10. ShinyDewott

Vanity
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽54.9
    I just realised I don't use all my fingers. It actually feels unnatural using my thumbs and pinkies to type. Last time I checked, my typing speed was about 90ish words per minute.

11. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    A long time ago, I used to hunt and peck. I took classes in school to try to learn proper. Back then I only got 20 wpm and never completed the course. My parents got me typing games and it did help me understand proper better but I still sucked at typing. It wasn't until I started writing fanfictions that my typing got better and faster. Now I type properly with 110 wpm. Even if it's not a fanfiction if you want to improve your typing, write.

12. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    The way the school taught me, lol.

13. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I used to type with just my left hand (which is weird because I'm right handed) and I more or less knew where all of the keys were without looking at the keyboard. I was required to take a typing class back in highschool though, so my typing style has been more "proper" since then. I don't usually use my pinkies though. It just feels weird.

I took a test online recently for my resume and found out that my typing speed is 72 words per minute. Professional typing is 80 words per minute so I guess I'm still a little slow. Well, regardless of how fast I type, I spend so much time looking back over everything I type that I'm usually pretty slow with writing. My first drafts don't usually have many errors though.

Wow, 110? Really? That's awesome.

14. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Interesting. I'm trying to practise typing with just one hand, to see how it compares with full performance. I find that I can do so with fairly decent efficacy, and that my left hand is better at doing so. I am also right-handed, but all that means is that my right hand can hold a pencil steady while my left hand moves about; in virtually all other activities, my hands are equally matched, though with a slightly tendency towards the left.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, my typing speed with just my left hand is roughly half of my full speed (so about 50 wpm). I want to see if that number can improve, since I know my hand can 'dance' faster than it does.

Truly? I don't think I've heard a 'professional words-per-minute' figure. Where did you hear about that?

15. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    You know, I think writing by hand is the only thing I'm really right handed in. I use my left hand for just about everything else, so I guess I'm at least borderline ambidextrous? I'm probably better at typing left handed because when playing games I would use my right hand for the mouse and my left hand for WASD and hotbar skills on the number keys. Actually, that's probably part of the reason I was able to switch to using both hands in high school. I completely forgot about this until just now, but around the time I was learning how to type, I tried switching to using the mouse with my left hand and got used to that for a while, which meant I was using my right to type more.

The typing speed was on the site that I did the typing test on, which had a rating scale based on typing speed. 80 and up was rated as "professional." I didn't know if that was actually true though, but I just went with it. I just looked it up and on Wikipedia it said "An average professional typist types usually in speeds of 50 to 80 wpm, while some positions can require 80 to 95" so I guess its accurate depending on the job.

16. Critical Sass

Critical Sass Slippery when wet

eg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽319.0
    I type with all fingers and can do so with decent speed, without looking at the keyboard because I'm super badass. Took quite a while to learn how to do it effectively though.

17. guest

PokéPoints:
    ₽723.0
    I'm not sure if I fall into either camp on this matter;; Half of my fingers are left hanging about doing nothing while I'm typing (the majority of my left hand, only the pinkie finger and index finger get any use). My right pinkie isn't really contributing to anything either, humm...

It's kind of difficult to type consistently while trying to focus on which fingers are doing what, haha! I recall there being a map of which hand and their respective fingers should hit which keys but I find my right hand tends to dominate the middle and right side of the keyboard to the point that I could probably get similar results with just one hand if the shift and ctrl keys weren't involved. They're purely left pinkie territory!

18. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    I type really fast and with just my pointer fingers. I don't actually look at the screen, I just stare somewhere off to the side and somehow realize when I've hit the wrong keys. I don't even know how I do it.
    I am self-taught. I tried those typing games in grade school (it was required) but I hated them, and it never stuck with me. I eventually started writing, and I taught myself to type extremely fast to keep up with the way my thoughts run. On average, if I can get into a routine, I can easily hit a bit over a 100 words a minute. I don't know the exact number, since I write super fast and then stop for a long time hunting for the right words, but about 110 is my best estimate.
    If I need to complete a paper I forgot to do because I was writing a fanfic and I only realize the period before that class, then I'm pretty sure my WPM speed can double.
    #MissingNo

19. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I kinda do both, mostly hunt and peck... My hand-eye coordination needs work. :sweat:

20. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    Sometimes I look at the keyboard when I type, but most of the time I like to type without looking. I never do the 'proper' way to type though; it's just too uncomfortable to me.