1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

How English sounds to non-English speakers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Sanctuary, Mar 30, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sanctuary

Odd Egg (S)
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽94.1
    Found this video a while ago, and it's a semi-interesting one.
    Not much to say about it, the video explains itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4Dfa4fOEY

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    shinygiratinaz, Noctis and Deltheor like this.
  2. Noctis

Noctis *this message has been removed*

PokéPoints:
    ₽65.0
    Haha I love this video.

I can see how this could be like what we sound to foreigners. Recognizing a few words, but not all of them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    Wow that's really cool! Language is really interesting. It's so interesting how there's so many different ways of communicating and how with just enough exposure, you can get a feel of what someone is talking about.

4. Sanctuary

Odd Egg (S)
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽94.1
    Indeed. This video reminds me of a certain day in my 9th grade English class.
    This was in Brazil, so nobody really understood English that well except me and the teacher himself. The class lesson was for us to watch an entire Family Guy episode in English, to see if you could understand the episode with just the visuals and no subtitles.
    Of course, I had already seen the episode and also understand English more than Portuguese, so I just sat back and enjoyed. But I could tell that some of my classmates only understood some parts and not the entire episode, but they understood just enough to know what was happening in the situation.

For those who have watched Family Guy and are curious as to which episode it was, it was the one with Quagmire, his sister, and her abusive boyfriend.

5. Megarai111

Megarai111 Elizabeth 3rd

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.6
    This is totally true! I really have trouble keeping up with listening to conversations between two English people (just listening to them from a distance, it's not like I'm talking to them). I know my understanding of English is really good, but I can't even keep up with those T_T

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.