1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

How is Ash still walking around?

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Writer4fun, Jan 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Writer4fun

PokéPoints:
    ₽62.4
    So the Pokémon anime is full of illogical things we all deal with like: how can these tiny creatures shrug off being zapped with electricity or getting burned? I'm fine for dealing the logic in the anime to a certain point. The one major thing that gets to me is that how many times Ash has continued his journey even though he easily could've died or simply been unable to continue on to the Indigo Plateau. Even in the Pokémon universe, escaping a capsized ship teetering on a rock is nuts and that's insane to believe that they got out alive, even for me when I was a kid.

In honor of Ash & crew getting out of that alive, let me remind you of all the other times his journey should've ended or season 1 could've ended. I'm talking about borderline Deus Ex Machina type stuff here so events like the Spearow attack in the 1st episode wouldn't count for me because Pikachu jumping in to defend Ash is reasonable. I'll list the episode numbers & explain the circumstances as to why the journey could arguably be over. Of course, all this is up for debate and I'm only taking about season 1 because it mellows out a lot after that. Here we go:

15-the beginning of the S.S Anne shipwreck, could've been injured or died as/before it capsized
    16-the entire episode is full of death traps
    19-Giant Tentacruel destroys everything and nobody can actually hurt it; also contains Tenacool army that could take on the entire city
    22-Ash gets trapped by Sabrina, only to be saved by her father; not a death, but his days as a trainer should've been over
    23-Chandelier falls on Ash and he's a ghost nearly the entire episode...
    24-Sabrina could've caught him again if Haunter showed up too late
    26-Ash runs into a collapsing burning building and winds up perfectly fine aside from some soot on his cloths
    32-Ash nearly falls out of the Fuchsia Gym, only to hang on by a thread (how is that gym even legal?)
    35 (Legend of Dratini was banned in the USA)- The Safari Zone pulls his gun almost every time Ash talks; pipe bomb later
    38 (40 in Japan)- trapped in a snowstorm even though he had Charmander & company to keep him warm
    58 (60 in Japan)- Blaine said that he could've revoked Ash's trainers license even though they fought in a volcano
    59 (61 in Japan)- the volcano erupts below; the smog & smoke could've gotten them if the lava didn't
    63 (65 in Japan)- If Giovanni fought Ash, Ash would never realisitcally win becuase of Mewtwo. Deus Ex Machina occurs when Team Rocket has to battle for him
    72 (74 in Japan)- Giant Alakazam & Giant Gengar fighting; Jigglypuff Deus Ex Machina becuase everyone is too weak to stop them
    74 (76 in Japan)- Ash gets burned alive but it's Moltres' flame so it doesn't hurt him
    75 (77 in Japan)- Krabby in your first battle at the Indigo Plateau? Against a veteran? Could've easily been a loss and season 1 basically ends
    77 (79 in Japan)- A Bellsprout was dominating and the only way Ash wins is by using Muk on a whim (could've come in handy against Richie...)

So yeah, I count 17 times in season 1 where the journey arguably could've easily ended and we move on to Johto or find a new main character. I'm not that into this so I'm not digging much deeper and like I said before: the series mellows out. This is all in good fun and I enjoy a majority of these episodes. Any episodes you want to add that I didn't have or debate my points? What about in later seasons?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Arc1Dragon

Arc1Dragon Just Monika

Kyurem Egg
    (Kyurem Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽878.9
    Crown of ValorPhilosopher's CowlStaff of VerityTapunium Z ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★
    My geuss is that attacks don't actually case much physical harm. Either that or Ho-oh gave Ash immortality

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Writer4fun

PokéPoints:
    ₽62.4
    Ho-oh gave him eternal happiness, not immortality if I remember correctly. Then again, I could be wrong but I'm sure it's happiness.

4. Arc1Dragon

Arc1Dragon Just Monika

Kyurem Egg
    (Kyurem Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽878.9
    Who knows maybe Ash is in a coma?

5. UnstoppableGamer

UnstoppableGamer Attention Seeker~

(Azelf)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,435.0
    Great Ball ★★Poké Ball ★Dome Fossil ★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★
    The beauty of the greatest power known as plot armor~
    But seriously, maybe Pokearth humans are just tougher?

6. Thechaosmaster

Thechaosmaster Keeper of Chaos

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽14.9
    Potion ★Poké Ball ★
    Pokearth humans being tougher could be possible. I mean Ash DID in fact pick up a Larvitar right? And not to mention the Hippopatos episode. He was carrying that thing, ON HIS HEAD! HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE!? And lets count the times Ash has died.

1) THE FIRST MOVIE. ASH WAS LITERALLY TURNED TO STONE! AND THEN THE Pokémon COMPANY BULLSH**ED THEIR WAY TO BRINGINHG HIM BACK BY THE TEARS OF THE Pokémon! DO YOU EXPECT ME TO BELIEVE THAT SIMPLE TEARS CAN BRING SOMEONE BACK FROM THE DEAD!? I MEAN THE COCOONOF DESTRUCTION MOVIE I CAN UNDERSTAND BECAUSE XERNEAS IS THE POKÈMON OF LIFE. SO YEAH. BUT THAT HAD NO REASON WHAT SO EVER THAT TEARS CAN BRING SOMEONE BACK TO LIFE.

2) Temple of the sea movie. Ash, in my eyes, looked like he drowned, then Manaphy used its power to send May and Pikachus voice to him, and he came back. Now I might be wrong and Ash only passed out but, if someone passes out underwater then the water will get into their lungs and they will drown. And the only way to save their lives it to perform C.P.R. and I didn't see that happining. And I took C.P.R back in highschool, so I know a few things, and nowhere in the class said that by praying to someone can bring them back to life, no offence to any religious people out there but, the Pokèmon universe breakes the rules of life, and at sometimes the laws of physics, and on rare occasions, does a Deadpool and breaks the forth wall, bow those I find funny but, getting off track, Ash should have died in nearly, half the episodes they made, he should have died and stay dead in the first movie, because you can't come back from being Medusaed, and the ninth movie, Ash should have drowned then,and I love the anime and movies, and the ninth is one of my favorits. But these are my opinions.

7. Arc1Dragon

Arc1Dragon Just Monika

Kyurem Egg
    (Kyurem Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽878.9
    Don't forget Ash was almost erased from existence in the Arceus movie

8. Thechaosmaster

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽14.9
    Potion ★Poké Ball ★
    Oh yeah thats right, I almost forgot about that, man, if you ask me, Pokémon should not be a kids show, I mean I have just recently started watchin season one again but, it sometimes make me feel dumb, and that Sabrina episode, I am offically afraid of dolls because of that one, and I don't remember it, but I still have that fear of dolls. Thank you Gamefreak, you have successfully created the most freighting character in the Pokémon universe, never do it again.

9. Writer4fun

PokéPoints:
    ₽62.4
    The manga is definitely not "kid friendly", especially when Koga's Arbok was cut in half. It's more meant for 12+ year olds and the US had to censor it a little bit too. Like I mentioned, the anime after season 1 toned it down big time but interesting points about the movies.

10. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    It just boils down to anime logic while still being "cartoony" for children for some instances of getting hit by a move that surely would've killed someone. You know that gag in every cartoon where X's face is smashed by a frying pan? They're just doing that with what they have (ex: Pokémon).

For those plot points, they just need a plot to keep the show from moving too fast. For serious cases (the gun being pulled), it was the first season, so I would assume that they were finding out what ground to stay on, either all ages or slightly older children. I guess you can see that they chose the kid-friendly route.

11. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    It is just cartoon logic, to push a story you can't kill your main character. The reason they have kept Ash going is because children identify with the young protagonist and it is their main demographic, male. So in end they probably won't kill him, just recycle him over and over like how he is restarting again now in Alola.

12. Thechaosmaster

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽14.9
    Potion ★Poké Ball ★
    Yeah I guess that is true. And have anyone noticed a trend, n the first season, Ash was an idiot, but he was a noob, so he had that as a pass, then the orange Islands, haven't seen much of that but he probably was a bit smarter, then came Johto, again better then Kanto, Hoenn he was intermediate, the Battle Frontier, amazing, loved Anabel, she deffenintly has to be my only acceptable females that I can see being with Ash that is human anyways, I supporyt Altoshipping, Aah+Latias all the way. But getting back on track, Sinnoh, that was when Ash was at his best. Then came Unova, where Ash went total noob city, like Why GameFreak Why? I mean, I like Unova, in general but the way they made Ash, I want to give the beginning to Black and White a Middle Finger, later on, it was better, I especially like the return of Charazard, then Kalos, again, beginning noob, then he was once again at his best and was actimng older then he normally would, and I would like to think that it is because of Serena that thia happened but, Amorshipping (Can't spell worth Sh**) kind of gave us shippers a middle finger practically saying that Serena was the one meant for Ash. And Alola? Only time will tell anyways, if you guys read this, what is your most favorite shippings and most hatted shipping? The one Ship that I can't see happening is this, Pokeshipping, now before you pokeshipping fans start flaming me know this, Misty is a Tomboy, kind of like Rika Nonaka, who is my favorit female Digimon Character from season 3, anyways, Misty would probably be the one who controls that relationship, and would probably kill Ash if he does something stupid, but thats my opinion. Let me know what your most favorite/ hated shipings are ith the Anime, wherther it be humanXhuman or humanXpokemon your choice. CHAOS CONTROL!!!

13. Arc1Dragon

Arc1Dragon Just Monika

Kyurem Egg
    (Kyurem Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽878.9
    Two things

One I have finally found another AltoShipper
    Two I'll make a topic on favorite ships

14. Writer4fun

PokéPoints:
    ₽62.4
    Then make your own topic. Please do not hijack this one.

15. Griefing_g0lem

Griefing_g0lem Three Minded

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    Ash does still survive after everything. Team Rocket has survived worst, so I believe that Ash may be able to walk, but while in a full body cast. There is no reason any of them should be still walking.

16. Thechaosmaster

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽14.9
    Potion ★Poké Ball ★
    That is SOOO true, and do you guys count how many times did Ash get, shocked, burned, runned over, and an countless other times that he has been hit with Pokémon attacks, and as for Team Rocket, bless their souls, they have survived blast off after blast off day in and day out, and as a quote from an episode, "Looks like Team Roackets blastung off again!" "These guys do this every week? Take a break!" Best fourth wall breaking, but to say the least, they have indeed survived much worse, maybe they should spend Five nights at Freddy's, they may win. Hehe, all jocking aside, none of these guys should be walking around after the first season.

17. Griefing_g0lem

Griefing_g0lem Three Minded

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    Since Ash is so impervious, he could be a Super Solider. They just need to make him smarter.

18. Thechaosmaster

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽14.9
    Potion ★Poké Ball ★
    Thats funny, I was thinking more of superman then super soldier, but the smarter Ash thing, I can agree with. Maybe one day, hopefully Alola will be the one that makes Ash not only a champion, but the Trainer that he needs to be the one WE want him to be.

19. Writer4fun

PokéPoints:
    ₽62.4
    "I understood that reference"

20. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    I kinda fell off during johto due to... reasons. Anywho I was always a fan as a kid but now I go back and see that he should be dead or possibly waking up from that coma soon. The SS Anne shouldn't have even had that much air in it for that long! In season one and two he should have died 20x over. I saw orange islands and for those who forgot he took 1st in the orange league. After that though... And team rocket has been blown up 2 to 3 times per episode. In season one ash had SHARK MISSILES (sharpedo confirmed way early!) fired at him! He was a ghost at the old mansion with gengar, he nearly died at mount moon during a cave in if I remember correctly, nearly froze to death along with his Pokémon, nearly drowned in the surfing episode at humunga dunga, nearly died when the blimp crashed at the begining of the orange islands, his charizard got frozen solid during charizard obeys and he nearly got sick helping it, the volcano at cinnibar should have killed him!, the viridian city gym feedback should have killed him, MEWTWO SHOULD HAVE KILLED HIM! THE STORM ON THE WAY to mewtwo should have killed him brock and misty!, ash almost got killed by beedrill in viridian forest! metapod took that blow then evolved! There are so many times when he should have died! When I was a kid I saw either ash or team rocket get blown up in some fashion EVERY EPISODE! AT LEAST TWICE! Man this anime is violent. And my parents thought it would phase out within 2 years like everything else. WRONG!