1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Gen 2 How long did you Gold and Silver cartridge last?

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Cadbberry, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    So the original Gold and Silver had a click inside of them with a battery so it could run some of the unique features. Have you ever had the battery go out or have to replace it? How long did it last?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,794.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    The battery on my Gold Version ran out so it couldn't save anymore, I could still play it I just couldn't save the progress. I dunno if my Silver and Crystal have suffered the same fate as I haven't touched them in ages but it wouldn't surprise me if they're also both dead since I got them at release date.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Cadbberry likes this.
  3. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    Silver still works perfectly fine for me amazingly enough, though I rarely if ever play it so that might be the reason as why it has lasted as long as it has. xD

4. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    I got Gold and Silver at the same time, but within a few months Gold failed me. Few years later I got Crystal. Last I checked both still work? Granted its been YEARS since then.. (I do have a copy of Red (..maybe 2, if I remember right), Blue, and Yellow that all still work as well..last I checked..)

5. Cadbberry

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    My Crystal is still working last I played, so I haven't been affected by this yet.

6. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    They both died (Silver and Crystal), and me being a fool I'd never figured out how to replace the battery.

7. Cadbberry

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    There are instructions online if you wanna find out how!

8. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Yeah, if I still had the cartridges I'd have long since replaced the batteries, but I no longer have them. Got lost in the numerous moves I've had to endure over the years...

Cadbberry likes this.
  9. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    Crown of ValorStaff of Verity
    Wow, none of my GBC games ever stopped working. Seriously, is this a common thing?

10. Cadbberry

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    It is since there is a battery in the cartridge to keep the internal clock running, but batteries go out

11. Otter Mii-kun

PokéPoints:
    ₽0.0
    I traded in my Gold, Silver, and Crystal (as well as my Blue and Yellow) game cartridges back in January 2006, so I never got to witness the save battery dying issue on any of my Pokémon games firsthand. Though, I do imagine, if I had held on to them long enough, the first of the games to lose their save capability would occur starting in 2007 or 2008 (I seem to remember reading about the save batteries dying on the Gold and Silver Game Paks starting around that time.)

12. RitsukaSylveon

PokéPoints:
    ₽6.0
    I know my Gold and Silver carts are both dead currently, at least batterywise. Last time I played either of them they stopped saving and it hurt cause I randomly turned Gold on and all of my Pokémon were gone.

13. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    Last I played it a year ago, it still worked. Got it around release and still have it. If I had a system that could play it I'd try again, but sadly I don't. >.< It served me well until the very end haha.

14. An Evil Wizard

An Evil Wizard The Ironic Mage

Chef Boyardee
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.7
    Fightinium Z ★★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★Beedrillite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    Both my Pokémon Gold and Silver's battery ran out. My Silver cartridge is too dirty old to work, but my Gold works fine. It just won't save anymore.

15. Chan

Chan Camper

Legendary Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽28.1
    I had to replace the battery once but that's some time ago. Yeah good old times.

16. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    My battery probably ran out about 5-6 years ago? Maybe a little longer since I hadn't played in a while. I replaced the battery 2 years ago though so it's working fine now.

17. Sethal

Sethal Vibing to OST

Aurile
    (Alolan Vulpix)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,428.1
    Comet Shard ★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Thunder Stone ★★★
    The battery of my Pokémon Gold cartridge ran out twice. I replaced the batteries both times, and some weeks ago my most "recent" battery ran out. But it's not a big deal; I also have the game on the virtual console on my 3ds.

18. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    Friend Ball ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Leaf Stone ★★★Grassium Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★
    That's... interesting. I think my Silver version should work, but I haven't actually tried playing it in quite a while. :c I'm probably better of not knowing since I plan on keeping the cartridge as a collectible anyway.