1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

How much time and practice do you put into your competitive team?

Discussion in 'Festival Plaza' started by sohrob101, Oct 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sohrob101

sohrob101 Destiny Draw!

PokéPoints:
    ₽80.7
    Me being a VGC player, I put in a lot of work in regards of making a competitive team. Lots of practice and work goes into my team before i finalize it. My question is, how much time, effort, and practice do you place into your team? Does this practice pay off in your opinion? Do you tend to rush your teams or drop the team if you aren't doing well with it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Doomhound

Doomhound
    (Houndour)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽77.7
    In terms of building, I tend to put the 2-3 Pokémon core together that spawned my idea first and then build off of that based on type, statistic, and fighting style needs. I just go and test it on the ladder and make changes as I feel needed. I don't know if a team is ever finalized for me on showdown because of how easy it is to change things. On 3ds once I breed it its probably finalized there. I give teams lots of practice before breeding it though, simply because I don't have much time at all and can't breed replacements for every team member I have.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Shada

Shada netflix binging

(Taillow)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽252.7
    Repel ★Charizardite X ★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Galladite ★★★★Bottle Cap ★★★★★
    It all depends. I can easily make a 2 minute team, no biggie, but I've spent hours talking to people about my favorite team, and worked on it for ages to make it the best it can be.
    As for 3ds wise, I get someone else to do it for me, as I guess I'm too lazy. XD

4. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    My teams do not need a purpose. Maybe I wake up thinking about... Hitmonlee? And then Hitmonlee must be on my team. Any Pokémon can be on the team. Honestly, if I want a Pokémon, I absolutly want a Pokémon. I trust too much on my ability and almost all the battles that I lose are because of that, because sometimes I stop paying attention and don't care about the posibilities, I take care of shining even with the most poor strategy. The teams that took me more than 2 minutes were completly good but I always get bored of them. I can take all the time or nothing of it for teambuilding, but the team will always work against the proper opponent.

As Gym Leader, I must confess that I built my team in more than 2 minutes and took more than what I spected because its type is considered the weakest one.
    I love using the weakest type, because that's the way in how I demostrate that I have enought ability to run this Gym and I am absolutly proud of it.

5. shinygiratinaz

shinygiratinaz Boats Against the Current

PokéPoints:
    ₽39.5
    I usually spend 30 minutes at the least on just building my teams. I choose a Pokémon, then I choose two others to make a core, then I pick three others that I think will work, then I comb through every single move they can learn and think of a tactic to build from their movepool, keeping all their abilities and their highest stats on mind. After that I mess around with evs, items, and natures until I think I've built up something that works with my strategy I chose. Then I spend a few days just testing it and messing with evs and moves until I think I like it. Even then I'll usually change my teams if I find a new strategy I like better.

I really am a noob at team building, so I spend as much time as I can on it. Doesn't mean I'm very good, but I try and I can usually keep my ladder rank above 1100.

6. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    When it comes to singles I do try my best when it comes to making teams. When I actually try it takes me around 20 minutes, but then my team ends up loosing a lot of matches. However when I make something in two seconds it magically works all of a sudden. I don't know how that works, but hey i'll take it.

Doubles...is a different story. I have to spend months on that. Anyone who plays VGC will probably know how I feel.

7. Pitmore

Pitmore Mild Internal Pain

PokéPoints:
    ₽84.0
    Honestly, I love 2 minuet teams and sometimes they can work better than my 'slaved over' teams, however I normally test them out too much or too little.
    My NU balance I made the other day is a good example; I threw right at the face of my laddering alt and it was quite good, but I was taking a huge risk.
    So in shot, I need to look more at my practicing times otherwise i put in unneeded effort and end up spoiling it or I need to put in more work otherwise it all falls apart :P

8. Garudarocks

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.0
    I usually spend around 5 minutes making a team from scratch. Then I use it on Showdown and make changes as needed.

9. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    I spend about half an hour or so building a new team. If its a doubles team I might spend even more time if I'm serious about it. If its just a casual battle that I need a team for I can easily fabricate one in a few minutes, but if its for a tournament or special match I want to do well in, I'll definitely spend more time building the team and testing it out so it works the way I like. Obviously no team is perfect, but eventually it reaches a point in which you are confident in that team and you know it so well that it can do really well against a lot of other teams.

10. engineering class

froze
    (Alolan Sandshrew)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽57.5
    Well, i feel as if vgc takes less time becuz i usually hav two pkmn in mind to start off with, rather than in singles i start with 1.

Also, in vgc, i usually go two pokes at a time becuz there are a lot of gud poke duos that r guaranteed success, where as singles u need to think harder, and also only hav to deal with 6 poke, not 4.

So ya, vgc usually takes me 10 mins or so, then edit along the way. But for singles, i'm terrible at making teams >_<, and im never satisfied with any team. Even if i get use to a team, i feel as if the meta is constantly changing and shifting towards something, to which gets more popular, resulting in having to adjust ur team to take care of that certain Pokémon. After an hour of no success, i stop and tackle it another day with fresh eyes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.