1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

How often do you nickname your Pokémon?

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by RadEmpoleon, Feb 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Minty Electric

SS Egg 1
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽32.0
    That depends. If I'm Nuzlocking, absolutely everyone gets a nickname, per the rules.

If I'm not, however, I have a system for this. Everyone starts off without a nickname so I can kinda "test out" my catches. If I like them/they seem like solid choices for my team, I'll give them a nickname. If not, they just kinda get boxed. I know it sounds horrible, but I tend to stick with a core team, which not only consists of the main six but also tons of standbys. Nicknames help me to quickly identify who's on that team and who isn't. That and oftentimes, the unnicknamed ones are actually Wonder Trade fodder since Wonder Trade is my jam.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    I nickname almost every Pokémon I catch unless it’s a newer one whose official name I haven’t memorized. That might change when Sword and Shield comes out because I’d like my team to be a bit more personal (I got pretty attached to my first Lycanroc, but the lack of a name made it hard to remember him).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I almost never nickname Pokémon. I just don't like the idea of renaming them and prefer to call them by their species name. Its just how I connect with them. I say almost because when I was doing omega ruby, I captured and used various Pokémon from the adventures manga and renamed them to those Pokémon nicknames. They weren't good nicknames, but I liked them all the same.

4. DuoM2

Groudon Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,398.7
    I always do if it's used for a playthrough, or a Shiny, but I rarely do otherwise. It'd be kinda tiring to name every single Pokémon I get considering I've been finishing the Pokédex in my games lately, so I just stick with the ones I have a chance of using on a team.

5. Palamon

Palamon Silence is Purple

Guren
    (Azelf)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽59.6
    Yes, I do, and I do a nickname theme every time I play a new Pokémon game.

6. Phantasm

Phantasm School Kid

? HMM ?
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽31.3
    Nicknaming was something I wasn't fond of until the later games (B/W specifically). I never really got the idea of it but once I started I really enjoyed it! It made me feel closer to the Pokes I had (It's just a game, I know :P). I definitely try to nickname now, especially if I am going to use them on my team.

7. Darkmaster006

Darkmaster006 PKMN Breeder

Airi
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 48
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,894.9
    I used to never name my Pokémon. Once I started, though, I named all of them, always! Usually short names for some reason.

8. SuperDitto

SuperDitto Bug Catcher

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1.1
    I don't nickname my Pokémon that often.

9. TheSadUmbreon

Rose Quartz
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽18.5
    practiacly every time

10. RWBY Gaster

Root Seed
    (Root Seed)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽489.0
    King's Rock ★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★
    I used to not name my Pokémon but then picked up the habit of nicknaming them. Those names are often very random(funny) or very great(not as funny but it has a meaning, unlike the random names)

I actually forgot since when or why I started naming my pokemons(I didn't even play nuzlockes). it is possibly because of the influence of Chuggaaconroy's playthrough of Pokémon platinum and black/white.

11. Thechaosmaster

Thechaosmaster Keeper of Chaos

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽14.9
    Potion ★Poké Ball ★
    I rarely nickname my Pokémon, I mean, I would nickname them, but not every game would I do it. Possibly one out of every, three playthroughs of a single game would I nickname a Pokémon.

12. 13eevee

Eevee (S)
    (Eevee (S))
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    sometimes i do i mean it is cute

13. Cabbion

Cabbion School Kid

Monny
    (Rockruff)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽382.4
    I nickname most of the time, especially if it's a Pokémon I've used many times before. If something I have not used many times or ever, I some time have a hard time finding a name.

14. Sethal

Sethal Vibing to OST

Aurile
    (Alolan Vulpix)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,428.1
    Comet Shard ★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Thunder Stone ★★★
    I usually only nickname (potential) team members and any shinies I might come across. Other than that, I'm just fine with their original name. I mean, what's the point in giving each pokémon a name if I am not going to look at 90% of them ever again?

15. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Do you ever reach that point in time where you find just the perfect name for your Pokémon and use it on every new game you play ever since? So far I got that with Gren the Treecko, Griffin the Noibat and Lubbock the Totodile.

16. Pirate Captain

Pirate Captain Nightmare Tala

Hoppip
    (Skiploom)
    Level 29
    PokéPoints:
    ₽17,057.9
    King's Rock ★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Basic Gary Oak ★Darkinum Z ★★★★
    Depends. I do have now standart names for a couple of Pokémon. Usually new games I dont do it to learn there names

Typloshion = Ian
    Umbreon = Hao
    Espeon or Lugia = Yoh
    Lugia = Hana (also possible)
    Eevee = Faye
    Pikachu = Rina
    Ratata = Caiden
    Pidgeot = Falborg
    Gyrados = Spencer
    Ampharos = Ryuzaki
    Charizard = Celia

17. ColsonOtis

Victini
    (Victini)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,015.8
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    I've never nicknamed my Pokémon, partly because I can't think of any names, and partly because I'm too lazy to do so :sweat:.