1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

How to Debate like a Pro! (There's no debating that this is a good thread)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Reckless, Oct 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reckless

Reckless Won't take the easy road

PokéPoints:
    ₽666.6
    Well, well, hello there lil' forumers. We've noticed that you have managed to dig, dig, dig deep down in the slumbering lair of the dragon that is the Debates Section. The path ahead of you is one that is rife with danger and peril for the unprepared, but you needn't worry, for should you choose to challenge this fire-breathing behemoth lying eagerly in wait, LostSpirit and myself would be more than happy to lend an assist, helping you to conquer the mighty dragon whilst allowing room for freedom of expression! Huzzah!

INDEX
    • 1.) What is a debate?
    • 2.) Conceiving a topic
    • 3.) Getting involved in debates
    • 4.) Avoiding logical fallacy
    • 5.) Closing words & extra resources
    Friendly tip: use CTRL+F to search through the guide using the numbers listed in the index above.

1. GAH!!! O...Okay! So, uh, what is a debate, exactly?

A debate is, simply put, a formal argument. That means there are often rules involved, which you can find by clicking here. Naturally, a breech of any one rule or, indeed, the entire lot will not be tolerated, and any member caught violating the rules will be reprimanded with extreme prejudice as deemed appropriate for the offence committed. In other, less subtle words...We'll have to feed to you to the dragon! *Gulp!*

2. Wait WHAT NO--I--....don't want to end up as dragon fodder! How do I take a stand against this lizard loser?!

To arms, dear friend! For in order to persevere, you are going to...metaphorically talk this dragon's simmering scales off! If a debate can be considered as a form of verbal fighting, then logic dictates that there must be something to argue about. Thus, in order to dish out a spoken trouncing to this hellish dragon of thine, we must begin with the source of all debates: the topic.

Topics, in a debating sense, generally encompass issues that are presently of public prominence, shared philosophies or ideals. As is the nature of all squabbles since the dawn of time, there are two sides to every topic: The 'for' side (formally called the Affirmative) and the 'against' side (referred to as the Negative, or, more commonly, the opposition). In this game of chance there is no middle ground, no 'fence' for which you, budding dragon slayer or potential dragon tamer, can safely straddle, so please bear that in mind.

Given the wildly fluctuating range in ages amongst Lake Valor's hellions members, we may, in certain cases, have to impose a set age for which members can take part in debates whose topics are of a certain graphic or upsetting nature. Whilst said calibre of debates will be allowed from time to time, we advise any potential dragon-facers when striking up a new debate thread to choose a subject that is appropriate and widely accessible for the variety of member ages around these parts. Op-tah!

3. Gotcha...I..I think I understand now...So how exactly do I fight it out against this beastie-meastie?

Here's a surprise: we're not actually from the archaic dark ages of imperialism (Shhh, that sounds menacing, and you know it). We won't come down on you like a metric tonne of dragon coals if you don't make use of formal English. That being said, for those whose first language is not English, we would advise that you only decide to partake in debates if you feel capable of expressing your opinions in that acquired tongue. We're looking for paragraph replies here folks, and not constant, one or two line answers.

Now, debates need only begin with a topic posed publicly (e.g., a thread entitled "Does the internet cause more harm than good?" is valid) and from there, users who wish to engage in the debate can ask questions to gradually reveal an argument. Please bear in mind the following steps: Ask! Clarify! Challenge! THEN rebut and respond!

• Ask! You'll all be starting off on the same ground initially, so rattling off a host of questions can help draw lines in the sand...and it'll aid you in determining if the other persons in your company share the same views as yourself or are dragon sympathisers in disguise! Yikes!
    • Clarify!To enable effective debating, all parties involved must be able to understand their neighbour's position on the topic under scrutiny. We're all flawed, yes, but trying to debate with someone when their points are unclear is arduous at best. Thus, if you don't comprehend another's POV, attempt to ask them to clarify certain perplexing sections of their argument. For example:

• Challenge! Once one brave dragon fighter has mustered up the courage to use their words on the fiery slumbering beast, counterarguments can be presented in earnest! Use this step to share your views, but do not yet antagonise the poster about you! for that matter, your first post within any debate thread should only be used to introduce your stance, using examples to support your particular belief.
    • Rebut! After all initial arguments have been presented, it is then time to oppose prior beliefs put forward by utilising contrary proof. Be aware that by now, you'll bear the glistening glare of the dragon's full, dagger filled gaze, so when you engage in rebuttal, please remain respectful and polite. Any instances of 'flying off the handle' over some choice words being relayed will not be tolerated. If you take issue with someone's deconstructions then please take it up with either LostSpirit or myself in private.
    • Respond! Brave heart, young soul! After the first rebuttal has been made, you are now free to respond with your own rebuttals, but bare in mind, your fellow debaters may disagree with some of the points you previously made. Stay strong willed and don't loose heart! Remember their rebuttals and then formally quash them as necessary. Any instances of "reckless" posts (hehe, couldn't resist slipping that one in!), such as those that feature rants with the capslock switched on and are directed at a sentence relayed in someone's previous rebuttal will lead to that member being swiftly ejected from all debates for a set period of time.

4. Say...this isn't so bad after all! But...what if I'm at a loss for something to say? W-Will the dragon still try to eat me?!

No siree! It is like what a certain fictional rabbit says: "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all." Let us therein round off this "How-To" guide by introducing fallacy. To quote Wikipedia:

Granted that this point is particularly important in debating, we strongly recommend that you click here to learn more about it and how to avoid logical fallacy.

5. Right...I've certainly learned a lot today! Is there anything else that I should commit to memory before...*Gulp*...waging dragon-war?

Always remember to wrap things up amicably. Whilst in theory, debates may go on and go, we'd hate to see friendships torn apart over conflicting views. Do not press for a conclusion, it may (or may not) come in time. As we've always stressed, treat others as you yourself would like to be received. There are no winners and losers here, so remember that.

Thanks for reading! Good luck!

Sources and further reading:
    ※ Formal and informal debates
    ※ The basic skills of debating
    ※ Top 100 debates
    ※ Debatabase
    ※ "How to think, not what to think" [TED, video]

by the way the "dragon" == lv staff, hehe

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    East, shinygiratinaz and LostSpirit like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.