1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

How would you rate your phone call skills?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by OzoneFruit, Jun 30, 2018.

?

Do you talk to people on the phone?

1. Yep, all the time!

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. Usually only for business/work

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. I usually stick to text/email

17 vote(s)
    60.7%
  4. Wait, I can talk into my phone?!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No.

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Yes, I'm going through an early 20s crisis rn as I realize that some kids don't even know what a flip-phone or camera film is nowadays. X_X Anywhozzles, how well would you say you are talking to others on the phone? Do you talk to people on the phone apart from friends?

I work as an IT assistant at my uni so I have to talk to customers a lot on the phone, ranging from students to concerned parents to technically-challenged emeritus. I like to think my professional phone skills are pretty good. I can hold the conversation while being clear and concise, and also always maintain a polite tone no matter the attitude of the person on the other end.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. FNT

FNT Collector

Storm The Fort
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽116.2
    Ultra Ball ★★
    its all about texting really lazily with as much abbreviations as possible
    smh ozone y u talk in phone

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Because my job demands it :U :furious: (It's also just a nice skill to have imo *_*)

4. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I prefer to text whenever I can, but when I do talk to people, I rate myself a 3/5. I feel really awkward going silent for long periods of time without being able to show any indication that I'm paying attention. I have to mentally prepare myself when I'm calling strangers, too. Particularly if I'm asking them for something.

5. Friskian

Friskian Hex Maniac

Enemy Stand
    (Trickster)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽217.7
    Not bad but not good,im average probably because i dont use my phone much

6. Fizzysoda

Fizzysoda Valor Lake Cryptid

(Jirachi Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,390.9
    Soda Pop ★Reaper Cloth ★★★Amulet Coin ★★★
    While I normally send emails or use chat apps like LINE, I think I'm pretty decent at making phone calls. Sure, it needs some work but on a scale of 1 to 5, I would say I'm at...3? I have zero problems with making appointments and whatnot, but when I'm doing it to contact someone at a company for an interview for my college assignments, I will need a lot of time to prepare myself.

It can be mentally exhausting for me just to start a phone call sometimes, which is why I stick to emails.

7. RWBY Gaster

Root Seed
    (Root Seed)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽489.0
    King's Rock ★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★
    Speaking of flip phones, I do have one in my house. But it ran out of juice and the cable for changing is gone so it is unusable.

8. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    My attitude on the phone depends on who I'm talking to.
    If you're a bill collector watch out.

9. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I don't want to sound like a cane-shaking old man but I rather enjoy talking on the phone. Two separate times in the past two months I got a text from a different friend who I haven't seen in 1-3 years. Each time, we had like 3 back-and-forth messages before I determined "this is important enough that we deserve to actually hear each other" and called her instead, and the call was always well recieved, and they both actually sounded happy. And beyond that, I hate having to end texts in "lol", a phrase which clearly does not mean "laughing out loud", but rather means "this short message carries no hostile intent"; something you don't need to clarify when speaking on the phone. Plus, it's good practice for learning to be a smooth-talker, when you only need to worry about your speech and not about your posture or dress. And smooth-talking is useful.

Now, what I do hate is leaving voicemails. That is awkward 100% of the time. If it's not a call I'm making for work, then I absolutely will just text instead. Talking to a wall for 30 seconds hoping to have all my ducks in a row? No thanks.

Speaking of camera film, I need to get some developed at the 1-hour-photo downtown. I'll be back in a few hours, hopefully these photos that I've never actually directly seen turn out well, so that I can put them into an envelope and paper-mail them to loved ones spending money on envelopes and stamps in the process! (Why yes, I do hate it when old farts complain about "kids these days" using available technology like email and gps, how could you tell?)

Laserdragon14 and OzoneFruit like this.
  10. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    Friend Ball ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Leaf Stone ★★★Grassium Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★
    I hate talking on the phone, but I don't think this necessarily means that my phone call skills are bad per se; I just don't like doing it. I can probably feign being a conversationalist when it comes to phone screenings for job interviews and do pretty well, but casual conversation with my IRL best friend I sometimes struggle with simply because small talk isn't my thing and I much more prefer texting for that.

11. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    I dislike phone calls but I have to deal with them a lot for work so I appear okay with phone calls. If its something that can be emailed I'll always go for that option.

I phone my best friend and she phones me and that's fine. We can talk for hours and it only feels like minutes hahah!

OzoneFruit likes this.
  12. Riddles

Riddles Extra Spooky

Grimm
    (Duskull)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,645.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    When I absolutely have to, I'll make a phone call. I do prefer email/text though.

13. Pory-ZPlayz

Pory-ZPlayz Your Friendly Neighborhood Glitch

Iceon
    (Eevee (S))
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽158.5
    Exp. Share ★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I usually only text my friends.

14. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    Dome Fossil ★★★Premier Ball ★Darkinum Z ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Depends who it is... ack... 9/10 times I hate phone calls and get anxiety because of them.

15. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I don't like talking on the phone but I'll do it. My old job had me talking on the phone and even using the dang intercom throughout the whole store.

I definitely prefer to text. It's more convenient and less stressful for me.

16. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    I used to work at a tech center, so I had to get good at phone skills.

17. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    I'm usually decently good, especially when talking to students over the phone at work. My voice goes up a few pitches instinctively too haha. I try to be as clear and understanding as I can, so people usually tend to listen and be understanding of what I say, even if it's not what they want to hear. Occasionally I'll get a minor panic attack and start speaking shakily but that's not very often and usually calms down quickly. :droplet:

18. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    My phone call skills are... very poor. I highly prefer texting or just talking to someone in person, face to face. I'm not sure what about phone calls make me so nervous, because I love to talk. Even when I called with my partner I was a nervous wreck. Although, I can eventually ease into a phone call if we've been talking long enough.

19. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Oh, my phone skills are, like, zero. I hate talking on the phone, and I get so anxious whenever I have to do it, so it's really not fun. I can email or message people, but talking on the phone...yeah, no.

20. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    Depends who I'm talking to. With my friends, I prefer to text them because I am socially awkward and can better express myself with more time to think. When I do call them, I either am a stuttering mess or called to ask for help with something, which likely took a while to convince myself to do, so I already have a full plan prepared. I rate my friend phone skills a -2/10. As for those who are a decent amount older or younger than me, I tend to be less embarrassing somehow. I barely stutter, and can hold a decent conversation. I rate myself about 7/10.