1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Humans are going to Mars!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Absolute Zero, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Eventually. It's probably going to happen. But do you think it should happen? The human race as it is today, with all of its beauty and evil and goodness and problems, are we ready to spread and inhabit worlds beyond our home planet? Even if we do fix all of our problems, will the rest of the universe be better off without us getting all up in its business? Do we owe it to ourselves to be able to survive all catastrophes by living offworld, or should we be forced to reap the fruits of our abuses to this planet?

And as a bonus question, what would it take for you to be a settler on Mars specifically? Would you want to be specifically on the first ship, specifically not on the first ship, already have a city waiting for you, or would you stay home on Earth waving bye to departing friends?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Colonizing mars is actually in the realm of possibility right now. The only real problem is, well radiation storms from having no magnetic field. I'll quickly answer this question, no I don't want to be on the first ship because then I'll be exposed to all that radiation, but once there's a radiation shelter, I want to be the next person on.

Should we colonize mars is a far harder question to answer. I think, if humanity can unify under one banner, then we should be allowed to colonize other worlds. In the end, multiple different factions from the same planet is spelling disaster later down the line and it should be stopped before we reach into space. Also, we have been far too safe in our little cradle of earth than any other planet ever discovered. Most planet systems are horribly unstable and not conducive to long life. I believe that if we ever exploit mother nature, mother nature wont care, and it will just kill us in the end. Colonizing mars, yeah sure. It doesn't matter what we do to the solar system or any planet really, the whole system is doomed to die anyways when the star fades.

If we can't get our planet together before colonizing mars, just send all us scientists over and let us watch as earth crumbles. Then one day, we can rebuild a unified earth. It totally wont be like the institute from fallout, I swear.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Moonstruck-Mist

HoverBoots
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽544.9
    *Nerd me comes out to play*

As it stands with me right now, I don't really want humans to inhabit Mars. I talk to a lot of people, who are against the idea, and I really like it here on Earth, so maybe it's best nobody tries to inhabit other planets before we're really ready. Here on Earth, we're already at each other's throats, so imagine what a colony on Mars with weapons from all over the world could do. If they decide to revolt, there's really not much good that can come from it. (Why am I thinking of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare right now?) So, in my opinion, stay here on Earth, and just hate each other for that. Just... stay here. Space is meant for those who were born to be there. We weren't, so just... No.

But for your bonus question, say they did indeed leave. As I said, I'm sticking here on Earth. Even if the world is an apocalypse, it's my home. I'm not leaving 'til I die.

4. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    O O

As things stand, no, I don't think the human race has any business leaving this planet and venturing out into space. If there is an alien community out there, I would hope that they would be better off without our violent, self-destructive tendencies. I don't honestly believe that humans can overcome their baser instincts or conquer the cesspit of greed and corruption that we label "human nature" as if that justifies it, so it would be better if we just died with our planet.

I'd need a smooth ride to get off this planet, I think. I'm too scared to even get on a plane, never mind a shuttle. As for Mars specifically...I'd be fine with settling there. With a pre-existing colony all set up. With internet access.

5. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,124.8
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    While I may not be a science nerd or anything, I’m not sure if life on Mars could be safe. You would have to adjust from life on Earth to life on Mars, and this would take into account things like the weaker pull of gravity on Mars. (Yes I looked that up.) So I’m going to have to pass on life on Mars. It sounds cool in theory, but I don’t think we’re quite ready.