1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

I-it's not like I want you to ask me questions or anything...

Discussion in 'Question & Answer' started by Dawn, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Friskian

Friskian Hex Maniac

Enemy Stand
    (Trickster)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽217.7
    Do you know how to make a chocolate cake?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Not off the top of my head, no. We do have several recipe books on the shelf just outside the kitchen though, so I'm sure I could figure something out. xD

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Pari

Pari poyo

Andromeda
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽350.3
    What's your favorite Zelda game? I've actually never played one so I can't answer this myself...

4. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    That's...actually a very difficult question to answer, haha. I think it's probably Link's Awakening by the narrowest of margins, with Oracle of Seasons being a very close second. I've always loved the 2D Zelda titles, and Link's Awakening has the most interesting world to explore, Marin, and some fantastic soundtrack. I actually replayed it fairly recently and it held up well too despite being painfully old now.

Plus I really don't like 3D Zelda all that much. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are both enjoyable in their own ways, but all the others...yeah.

Although if it counts, I love Hyrule Warriors too. So much so that I have three copies of it, one for every platform it was released on. xD

5. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    What do you think about my new pfp?
    What is your least favorite type of chocolate that you've tried?

6. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Do you like to wear scarves? Have you ever gotten one to blow dramatically behind you as you walk or stand?

Do you ever celebrate Cinco de Mayo, the Mexican Independence Day?

When is the last time you touched a live fish?

7. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    @Dawn
    Do you like cooking?

8. Rezna

Rezna Every Day's Great at Your Junes!

Why do eggs break ffree
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽35.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Water Stone ★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    Wait wait wait..
    Right handed or left handed?

9. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    OK, so I meant to answer these questions ages ago, but kinda forgot...

@Laserdragon14
    - I don't recognise it...is it from StarCraft? Hazarding a guess based on your avatar, which I think is Kerrigan? Not my area of expertise, haha. Either way, it looks like it'd make a good movie. xD;
    - Either Snickers or Mars bars, I think. Honestly I don't much care for chocolate at all in quantities larger than a tiny chocolate chip.

@Absolute Zero
    - I don't wear scarves very often precisely because they either get in the way or have a habit of flying off away dramatically behind me after trying to strangle me! If I want to protect the rest of my face I usually wear a balaclava and zip my coat right up to the top. I'm probably doing it wrong. xD
    - I never have, no...I'm not sure that's widely celebrated in the UK. I had to look up the date to even know when it is!
    - Uh...when I was 11, I think? When I was a kid I lived in a house uphill from a river and I would spend hours down there catching small fish with my hands...and chasing after bigger ones (mostly trout, although there was the occasional pike) with a net. But I've not had a chance to handle live fish (or dead fish for that matter; I loathe seafood) since then.

@Shadria
    - Only if I don't have to eat what I cook...too much can go wrong with cooking for me to be entirely comfortable with it, and the one time I prepare anything more complicated than something that just needs heating up in the oven will be the one time I give myself food poisoning. I like baking cakes, though! It's kinda fun making a mess even if the cleanup afterwards is a pain. xD

@Majora's Incarnate
    - I am right-handed~

Absolute Zero and Laserdragon14 like this.
  10. Rezna

Rezna Every Day's Great at Your Junes!

Why do eggs break ffree
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽35.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Water Stone ★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    Hehe... I'm glad dawn doesn't know, and I hope nobody else does. If someone else does, I won't finish the joke so I can't be reported or anything. (Not that it should be, it's just ever so slightly inappropriate)

11. Absolute Zero

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    As someone who is not-American, can you give me a short 2-3 sentence summary of... well, I don't even know what you would call it. The conflict in the mid-1700s between Britain and the North American colonies that would eventually be called the USA, and its causes and effects. We call it "The Revolutionary War" or "The War of American Independence", but history is clearly something that is very dependent on perspective and context, and I'm curious about how (or if) you're taught about it in school on your side of the Atlantic. (If you're curious about the 'Merican scholar's re-telling of the story, you're always welcome to stop by my Q&A, though I won't answer in haiku for that one)

12. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    @Absolute Zero I at least wasn't taught that. To me the whole War of Independence was never really that big a deal. If I was going to summarise it based on what little I know of it, without doing any research...idk.

The Americans didn't like taxes - amongst other things, I think there was a tax on tea as well? - and they revolted. The French (at the very least, I am pretty sure Spain was involved at some point too because Gibraltar has always been a point of contention) didn't like the British either so they helped drive us out. Pretty sure we got to keep Canada at the time, though.

...yeaaah...at Secondary school we were taught pre-Revolution America, the Great War and the Second World War, and the conflict in Northern Ireland. What I can remember of it, anyway. I was 16 when I finished Secondary School, am now 29, and my interest in history is in ancient cultures like Rome...specifically the Julio-Claudian Emperors, which I studied at College. So my memory is VERY hazy. It'd be cheating if I just googled it or something. So that's the best I can do. I realise that's probably inadequate and might even be constituted as offensive by some Americans, but if I wasn't taught it, well...xD

#72 Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Absolute Zero likes this.
  13. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    What's your favorite type of rock?
    Do you prefer philosophy or science?

14. Absolute Zero

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Your answer to my American Revolution question is entirely fascinating to me. Over here, my entire 7th grade History class was all about that and years directly leading up to it: an entire school year, 180 school days, 90 minutes a day spent on the 200 years between the founding of Jamestown and the end of the war (a lot less Spain, a little bit of France supporting the colonies financially because they hate Britain, and a lot of the Native Americans fighting Colonial Americans because they hate us, barely a footnote about Canada). We're generally a lot more self-righteous about it, throwing off the heavy yoke of our tyrannical rulers and dramatically/faux-valiantly choosing death on the battlefield over paying more than what we felt was a fair amount of taxes while we also literally owned humans as living farm equipment, but really, what else could you expect from us besides self-righteousness and vainglory?

On ancient cultures, do you have a favorite ancient society who you think deserves more spotlight in today's pop culture? Everyone loves Rome and ancient Egypt and Feudal Japan, but is there any place that you'd promote for a historical movie or a video game like Civilization 7 or Assassin's Creed? (I'll stop asking about your thoughts on history when you stop giving such interesting answers!)

15. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    @Azazel
    Rose Quartz! Which I suppose is somewhat odd given it's classical meaning and significance, but I like the colour. I used to have a rose quartz heart necklace before the chain broke, although I still keep it upstairs

Philosophy. As a method of understanding, I find very little value in scientific theory if I'm honest. I mean, flashback to a few hundred years and people were convinced of an entirely different set of beliefs, and even now people cannot agree on many things. But how long until the scientific facts that we accept now become disproved by something else?

I don't think there is any denying that we can perceive patterns and learn how things work from experience, but to say that we understand these things, and that it is "fact" that they will behave this way every time, or behave in exactly the way that we perceive them to, is...well, arrogant. The idea that you can objectively prove something as "right" or "wrong" is one that I fundamentally cannot agree with, which is why I take a lot of issue with science...or rather, the way it is applied and presented in modern day society.

I think both are important, but philosophy is a more holistic approach to seeking knowledge, and I find more value to it because it allows for the generation of questions as well as the seeking of answers, and the constant questioning of those answers, rather than establishing objective "facts" that cannot be questioned. It has a much wider application.

@Absolute Zero Honestly it doesn't surprise me at all. I mean, for one thing history is often written by the winners, and people prefer to gloss over the things that don't make them look particularly good. As a great example, I probably wasn't taught about the American Revolution because the British came off on the losing end of that conflict! But with the US in particular, the entire culture and history of that civilisation started at that point, so it's not surprising that there is so much focus on it. Relatively speaking, it's a young civilisation. At least modern-day America. Obviously the natives have more history with the land, but...yeah. Gotta look good and take some patriotic pride, right?

A decade or so ago I would have screamed "Norse!" at you with enthusiasm, but we've been getting a ton of Norse mythology thrown at us for quite a while. So I would say Mayan instead. Something set at the end of the Preclassic Period (around 250AD) when they achieved a civilisation comparable to that of the Greeks. The architecture is pretty fascinating, and I love the religious aspect of things. Mayan religion is pretty complex, and for an Assassin's Creed game in particular (one like Odyssey, anyway) it'd make an absolutely fantastic setting, given how prominent the supernatural was in their civilisation. I've always been drawn towards cultures that have interesting creation myths and a strong relationship with their deities.

I don't see as much Rome as I would like to either, honestly. It was a very long period in history with some fascinating historical figures - if you believe the writers of the time anyway - and...yeah, I'd want something more focused on the Julio-Claudian Era. Everyone thinks of Nero from that time, but Claudius had a pretty interesting reign as well, and so did Caligula. Rome media often focuses on Nero or Caesar, because they had the most prominent careers, but they could go so many other places with it.

Absolute Zero likes this.
  16. Galois

Galois Bug Catcher

Bartók
    (Vivillon (Garden))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽261.2
    I feel like a comment should be made here, scientists don't claim to 'prove' anything. they put forward models which are considered to be the best description of natural phenomena available, though we are fully aware that these descriptions have shortcomings and flaws. science is built around understanding what those shortcomings and flaws are (also to keep looking for any flaws that aren't yet known) and seeking to create novel explanations which are more plausible (and 'more plausible' does not necessarily mean 'correct', but rather a theory which satisfies some criteria set by the scientific method).

while I'm here I might as well ask some questions too
    1. do you consider the approach mathematicians take arrogant? unlike scientists, mathematicians do claim to objectively prove things about how reality works, beyond question
    2. favourite classical music era?
    3. thoughts on the more dissonant/modern classical music? (ie by Bartok, Prokofiev, Shostakovich etc)

17. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    @Galois I said I take issue with the way it is applied and presented in modern day society, not in the way it is practised. The two are completely different - they shouldn't be, but they are. There is this inherent assumption in society - helped along by the media in no small part - that scientific theory is fact, and that is primarily what I take umbrage with. People embrace these theories as absolutes, because that is what is presented to them. I recognise that this is not what scientists do, and I didn't mean to imply that...which is precisely why I added that at the end of my sentence. My mistake there, as I should have led with it.

Most people don't have time or inclination to think about these things I suppose, and that's fine. Easier to intepret it that way and just take it as a truth. But I personally do not appreciate being told what to think or believe, which is precisely how scientific theories are applied by society. Alternative thoughts and ideas are neither encouraged nor explored...at least, not in my experience.

Hope that clarifies precisely what I was trying to say...in my defence, I did type that out in a rush at 7am before work this morning. Next time I'll lead with my main point. xD

Anyways, as to your questions...

Honestly, yes. Perhaps "arrogant" is too strong a word for it - or not even the right word at all - but a better one escapes me at the moment. Far be it for me to call someone out for making a conclusion that I have not made and do not understand/agree with - which would be arrogant in and of itself, and I try to avoid arrogance even as I inevitably display it - but...well, really? Maybe there's a little bit of a radical skeptic in me, although that generally only happens when I start to really think about things. Perhaps I simply don't have enough of an understanding to form objectively true conclusions myself, which is why I view things this way. I wouldn't rule the possibility out...but maybe being unwilling to rule anything out is precisely why I find the idea of believing that you can objectively prove something so...distasteful.

From a certain perspective, I suppose that yes, it could be called arrogance. But it could also be seen as certainty of knowledge. Depends upon your perspective, really. Even if I have my own opinion, I try to bear in mind that it's only that.

Hrrgh...don't make me choose between the Classical and the Romantic periods. I guess on balance, I probably listen to more from the latter. Probably. I go through phases where I like to listen to different things, and I don't generally separate my classical music playlists out by the period they were composed in...perhaps I should. I'd have to do a little research with some of them, though.

Hmm...that's an intriguing question. Honestly, my thoughts are much the same as they are with any other musical period - there are some fantastic pieces, others that I am absolutely sick to death of hearing because of their excessive use in the media (speaking of Prokofiev, if I hear Dance of the Knights used in any advert or movie again I am going to scream) and many I am simply indifferent to. My interest in classical music stems back from a young age - I have seen pretty much every classic Tom and Jerry cartoon; I grew up listening to things and tracked them down when I was old enough to have an appreciation for them outside of the cartoons, and of course one thing led to another, as the more you look the more you find, and the more you want to find - but there is still quite a lot I don't know and haven't heard...most of it probably from the more modern eras.

#77 Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  18. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    @Dawn
    Do you drink tea? What kind, if so?

19. Poffin

Poffin King of Destruction

Alolan Meowth
    (Alolan Meowth)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,384.2
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    How come you didn't pick Gilgamesh with his hair back for your avatar? :annoyed:

20. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    @Shadria I do not drink tea, no...at least, not very often. I quite like peppermint herbal tea, though.

@Poffin laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaze.
    This was the first avatar sized Gilg picture I found and I couldn't be bothered to crop one that wasn't avatar sized. xD