1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

I made it and I hate it

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by SyWry, Apr 4, 2019.

1. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    There's always something that we don't like about the art we make. Whether it be a literary work, or an art piece, there are always in-perfections that only we see. Rant here about how you TRULY feel about your work and just how much it sucks. If you can't think of anything being wrong, remember in art, there's no such thing as perfect. Try to think critically about your work and see things from the viewers perspective. Even the best artists/writers find flaws they seek to improve.

Bonus, if you can say how you can improve your work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Bug

Bug Hiker

Kaen
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽185.4
    I'm currently on the downswing in the art improvement process where my eye for art exceeds the capabilities of my hands. It hasn't gotten too terrible yet, but I find myself looking at the eyes I draw, or the stiffness of poses, and feel dissatisfied. I know it just means that in a month or so, as long as I keep with studies and art consumption, I'll come out on the other side improved... But lord is it frustrating, lmao.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    With my drawings, my hands absolutely suck. I avoid drawing them at all cost. It's really frustrating to have a picture that I'm, for the most part, happy with, and then I glance at the hands and it just all looks horrible. I've learned with my hands that I can't second guess them. If I try to draw them fifty times over, then the page will look sloppy, and I'll hate it even more. I just need to draw the hands until they look half decent, and then leave them alone.
    With my writing, I feel like I'm not very good at portraying physical action. I always rush right through it, because I'm a lot better at writing emotions and thoughts than actions.

4. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    this title is me 100%

i usually only feel this way when i have a super grand image of what i want and cant do it justice because my art style just doesn't work with it ;; which sucks because you wanna do something really awesome and you have a super cool image in your mind but it just looks silly and out of place when applied to your art style....... i think my viewers also tend to notice this because my posts with a slightly different feel usually dont end up getting much attention ;;

if you want to be satisfied with the stuff you draw, try something that works well with your style!! since my art style is bright and simple it doesn't make much sense to do darker painting pieces, which end up being the pieces i hate the most!! i just learned to embrace the silly nature of my art style and play along with it and pieces i make with that in mind are some of my favorites!! my followers on ig also seem to like it because simple yet charming flat colored pieces are some of my most liked posts -w-

5. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,661.8
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    … I have that feeling for a lot of my daily doodles

6. Haunted Ditto

Ditto
    (Ditto)
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽775.5
    Oran Berry ★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    This happened really often when I started spriting, because there were sooooo many spriters who were better than me and I often thought aout giving up, but now I have enough confidence to Show my sprites around.

7. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    This usually always happens to me once I've completed a story and had it out for a while. My writing is amateur to say the least. I'm terrible at writing emotion so I focused on writing action a lot in earlier work and weirdly, the emotional scenes were the ones that got the most views and were the most well received. Suffice to say, that confused me to no end and made me hate the direction I took with my earlier work being focused on action. Not to mention I'm horrible at having colorful vocab and making metaphors goes directly against my nature. I'm also too immature in my writing to effectively handle writing big groups of relatable people, but look at all my stories in the works, they are all big groups. I let good characters be relegated to silent observers simply because its rather hard for me to consider the emotions of 7 different characters all at once and to decide who should speak and when.

If I had to describe all the things that I hated with my work, it would probably be a full essay. A lot of my problems however, are just that of an immature writing style, but being a perfectionist makes me want to do it right the first time. So when I see all the mistakes in my previous and current work, it always makes me hate how poorly written it is. At least it motivates me to write better.

#7 Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  8. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    Back when I drew, my hand would never stop shaking. Even simple lines and shapes weren't safe. I also found shading more tedious than anything else, so I rarely did it. My perfectionism and lack of interest to improve in an oversaturated art medium made me quit.

Sprinting had it’s own issues. I’d spend hours on a sprite only for it to either be too off model or be poorly shaded. For some reason, I got more discouraged from criticism on pixel art than I did with drawing. Probably because I was more confident about them.

Writing is the only art medium I’ve found any success in. I’ve always been praised by my English teachers for my skills and it’s something I actually enjoy, unlike drawing and spriting. Something I’ve always wondered was how much my talent for writing was hereditary. My Mother was an English Major, and my paternal Grandma is supposedly a proffessional writer (according to my Father’s records. I don’t know if she’s any good since her name wasn’t listed). Did I just inherit their abilities, or was some of it my own doing? Regardless, I feel confident about my ability to write essays and nonfiction. Where my issues are is stories. I’ve always had ideas for worlds and conflicts, but nothing for characters. The idea of fleshing out a cast over the course of an entire story terrifies me. I attempted writing a few short stories as a grade schooler to mixed results. My grammar and sentence structure were good for the time, but the characters suffered from being flat and two dimensional. Of course I was still really young then. I was 11 and barely understood what a dynamic character was. Even so, the result scared me from trying again. I’ve mostly stuck with what I’m good at. 2-6 page essays on history and novels. I get great grades on them and I do feel like I’m gradually improving with each one.

I did find a pretty decent self help book that provides a guide for NaMoWriMo. Maybe giving myself that kind of limit could spark some creativity out of me.

9. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I'm dissatisfied with 99.9% of my art. The main reason I feel this way is because my anatomy isn't great, especially when it comes to drawing humans. It's something I am working on improving, and to be fair I'm no were near as crap at drawing people as I was a few years ago, but it still sucks to look at my drawings and think they look like utter garbage.
    My backgrounds and poses also suck and need major improvements.

10. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,446.0
    Something I've noticed is that generally, people will not be satisfied with their own work. As the saying goes, "we are our harshest critics". For example, I think your art is amazing and out of this world, but you see the flaws in your work and you're always seeking improvement.

Of course, I have hated every single piece of art that I have ever worked on, and most of the writing I have done as well. As somebody who strives to be perfect (let me tell ya, that's hard), I get really hard on myself when I don't do something perfectly and/or how I imagined it. For the most part, we are going to dislike what we make to some extent, even if we are proud of it and acknowledge our own personal development in a skill.

11. Geroniny

Geroniny The Spacecraft Of Miracle

Azure
    (Kyogre)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽771.9
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Blue Orb ★★★★★Charizardite X ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    This Can Relate To Me If The Work Is Old Enough. Like Having A Cringe, There Are Two Ways That I Usually Improve It.

If The Work Is Old Enough And My Drawing Skill Improves, I Completely Remake It. Or If The Work Is Latest, I Will Just Edit It.

12. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Wonderful title, btw.

I think we all hate the things we made because we know we're better than that. And it's true: because we've already gotten better. You look back at that comic or that story or that paper mache sculpture and it is objectively below your skill level, because your skill level increased between then and now. This is a good thing that feels like a bad thing.

And, for the bonus points, the way I thereby improve upon my work is by focusing on that hatred. I soak it up, I drink it, I digest it, and I turn it into something useful. Something to avoid, something to climb and leap over. The hatred is a magnetically repulsive guide, and I let it lead me.

13. PoserPanda

SS EGG 2
    (Giratina Egg (Altered))
    Level 74
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,173.3
    Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Basically anything that I put out, that I haven't seen one hundred percent perfection in, I don't especially like it. I know some of it is good, but there are plenty of times where I can't decide how much of it is wrong and what I should keep.