1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

I read the news today, oh boy...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Achromatic, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    How often do you guys find yourself reading/watching the news?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ~Nova~

~Nova~ Birby Friend

PokéPoints:
    ₽284.5
    I rarely ever really pay attention to it, but my parents watch/read it a lot, so it's always in the background for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dusty

Dusty Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽54.1
    I occasionally watch it but I try to keep vigilant with it, because I know the mainstream media is very controlled and does push agendas. But I pray for discernment and that I might get to see what's really behind what's being reported; reading between the lines if you will.

Most of my news watching comes in bits and pieces from a certain YouTube channel that highlights certain news stories in the context of what they mean regarding the "season" in which the world now finds itself. I don't get the paper myself but when I visit my aunt who does once a week I usually skim through parts of the local paper, where it's less about what's behind what and who's pushing what agenda and more about "these are some things that happened around the city and province yesterday and today".

4. ClefairyKid

ClefairyKid (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

PokéPoints:
    ₽854.6
    Psychium Z ★★★★Poké Doll ★★Waterium Z ★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★
    I would more often if I had more data to waste on random web pages, but as it happens I was feeling particularly lonely and figured I'd read a few today. The stuff about trump's daughter and wife is pretty concerning from the sound of things. But there was some feminist positive news too which I appreciated :'D

5. 8542Madness

PokéPoints:
    ₽153.9
    I used to not care, but over the past few months I've found that I care a lot more and am quite actively keeping up to date on world news and U.S. politics, since that's where I live. U.S. politics especially is something I'm always keeping up to date with, as with how completely insane things are going I feel almost like it's my duty to be aware and active about the issues. I'm personally a middle-road person, leaning not too heavily to either political side but seeing the validity of certain points of both ideals, so it makes reading the news very interesting. After a while you start getting good at seeing where an article has been exaggerated so much it's not even reflective of something that was once true, and both political sides are exceptionally guilty of it. It's a bit depressing that pretty much every news source is willing to try and trick you to believe something based on a falsehood, but that's just how it is now.

As frustrating as it is, it's important to be up to date on the world and to keep a sharp eye out on what is going on. That's what I think, at least.

6. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I don't usually read or watch the news, instead hearing it either from other people or online. I'm always hearing more about American than Australian politics (I live in Australia), so I have next to no idea what's happening in parliament here. Usually, nothing good.

7. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I'll notice Wikipedia's news feed as events come up, since Wikipedia is my home page. I won't read the article unless it's particularly interesting, though, since almost every article in the news is about something bad that's happened, or has some otherwise negative tint.

Because of that, I essentially refuse to read the news. It's extremely depressing, it's laden with potential negativity (yes, actual negativity, not the word that people use when they don't like someone else), and it usually just reports on details and events that the readers have absolutely no power or ability to change. I know that might seem fairly obvious, but I struggle with noticing bad situations and being unable to change anything. So why subject myself to any heartache if I'm powerless to make things different anyway?

One potential objection to this line of thought is that I'm not informed of events that relate to me or affect me in some way. The counter to that is that they really don't relate. My life is not largely connected to any large, national, or global scheme; no matter what events might play out, the circumstances surrounding my existence don't change. Sometimes if people ask me if I follow the news, or heard about some recent event, I'll flippantly respond "Oh, goody, who died this time?" before walking out of the conversation. It's because the news is too disconnected from people on an individual level, and I only operate on that level, so there's nothing useful I can glean from it.

There are some things that I truly do deeply care about. A few people that I have as friends are among them. The news is not.

8. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    I read it online sometimes, or someone on tumblr will post something newsworthy, but that's about it.
    Like the Quebec shooting I only heard of via twitter -_-

9. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I watch the news over dinner most nights so I always get the garbage that is being spat out.

10. POKE

POKE Ace Trainer

Johnny Waffles
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.3
    Premier Ball ★
    Nope, never watch the news, most of the time it's boring, I really should start watching the news

11. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    Apart from Impractical Jokers, late night comedy shows, or Mythbusters, the news is literally the only thing I watch.

I'm a cool 15 year old, I swear. Cool 15 year olds watch the news, right?

8542Madness likes this.
  12. Owly

Owly Friend of the Eco, Foe of the System

Torako
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,981.7
    I get most of my news from the radio in the morning while getting ready for school. Usually, though, they cover topics that aren't exactly hot on the social media forums, so I know what's going on about things that no one cares about. If there is something major happening, I usually find out about it from word of mouth, and try to sort out the most probable truth.

13. Otter Mii-kun

PokéPoints:
    ₽0.0
    I can't even stand to watch the news on TV these days since it's nearly all pro-globalist crap. Whatever little news I get these days comes from Twitter, or by looking through my local Sunday newspaper (which limits itself to mostly local stories.)

14. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    My gran has it on daily as she's waiting for one of her shows to come on. It's always super distressing. ^^;

15. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    Not very often, to be honest. I'll pop over to check Yahoo if I've got a free minute in the morning, but not anything past that. And anyways, the only reason I go is for the comments.
    #MissingNo

16. 「✧Aɴɪᴍᴀ✧」

「✧Aɴɪᴍᴀ✧」 Dᴇᴀᴛʜ's Dɪᴘʟᴏᴍᴀᴛ

HeartGold
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽217.7
    Heart Scale ★★
    Ahhh very often after the new president here in America. Like I really have to due to some circumstances. </3

17. Reckless

Reckless Won't take the easy road

PokéPoints:
    ₽666.6
    If I take a look at the news it's usually out of sheer boredom.
    If there is breaking news though, I'd tune in to keep tabs on the developing situation.

18. Phazon

PokéPoints:
    ₽77.3
    yet americans keep complaining about first world problems.

19. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I don´t really watch the news much, but my mom sometimes mentions stories that pop out to us, like murders and car accidents and animals (most definitely). Other than that I don't keep up with the news.

20. Megarai111

Megarai111 Elizabeth 3rd

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.6
    I wake up to my alarm clock every morning. Usually, by that time, the news is playing, so I guess I hear it every day, haha.
    I don't really follow the news, especially with the trend of over-exaggerating things these days, not to mention fake news. My parents have a subscription to the worst Dutch newspaper around with basically spits nothing but lies, wrongly sketched world views (mostly anti-immigrant and anti-government and such) and exaggerations. It's great. It's the best. I've told them to switch newspapers many times before but they just won't switch >_>