1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

I see the world differently

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Absolute Zero, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Do you ever wonder if you see the world differently than most people? I don't mean "understand" the world differently, but visually/auditorily/sensorily perceive the world differently. Like you see visible patterns that other people don't, or you hear things that others don't notice.

I for one wonder if I detect and recognize individual humans less than most people. I will identify a person and where they are and what they're doing by their look or voice, but then after that I stop processing that information, like I'm passively face-blind. I won't notice when someone gets a new hairstyle or has a cut on their face or is wearing a totally different fashion sense or makeup until any of this is mentioned to me. My perceptive brain will say "Ahh yes, One and Two have entered the room now, they are recognized humans and they seem pleasant at this time. Now to stop processing their faces and vocal intonations and replace that with low-RAM placeholder and simple speech bubbles, so that I could not draw this person's face or imitate their voice even after years of knowing them." This is so much so that it can take me three whole seconds to recognize someone's photograph, or even longer to recognize a voice on the phone, and I really suspect this isn't typical psychology.

How about you? Do you see more or less in the world around you than other people do?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,661.8
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    22,000TH THREAD

(sorry. you can continue.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I was often told this was the case for me. When I was young, my doctor said I had something akin to low muscle joint tone, and because of this, walking to me had always felt like a rocking boat. I have never really understand what that means because nothing seems out of place. Everything is feeling fine and I have no reason to suspect my walking isn't normal, but the thought has lingered in my mind to this day. Also, I have sensory issues and I know that I see far more of the world than most because of it. The suns always more intense for me than others, strong smells cause me to look away and try to stop smelling, touching me often feels like an explosion of feeling and so on. So to put it simply, yeah, I think I see the world a bit differently than others.

4. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    I don’t see things differently than others, but my sense of taste is super strong, and I find things that most consider quite bland to be very flavorful.

5. Momo Kiseki

Riolu
    (Riolu)
    Level 30
    PokéPoints:
    ₽847.5
    Big Nugget ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    Uh, hm. Well I'm pretty blind to a lot of things. I don't hear better than anyone else but I do have a very strange sense for peoples emotions.
    I'm not gonna try and explain it since I struggle with that but that's only real skill I have like that it's the reason I never really defended myself against bullies when I was younger I could tell that they were upset or stressed about something.

6. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Impossible to say, really. I think it'd be a conceit for me to say that I see the world completely different to others, but at the same time it would be the worst kind of arrogant presumption to say that I see the world the same way others do. I cannot speak for other people, only for myself. As an individual I am self-contained and whilst I perceive things, I have only my own individual perception, which may be completely different from objective reality, assuming such a thing exists...and who is to say it does? I am something of a solipsist in these things when it gets right down to it, because I have learned through painful experience that the image you have of a person is completely separate and rarely shared by the person in question; people are going to do and think and say whatever the hell they please and your own view of that be damned.

My thought process is something I have attempted in the past to describe several times with success, but only after I have thought about it...thereby defeating the point, because I had to think about it to simplify it so that I could convey it. I had to FORCE myself to put it in words that other people might be able to comprehend, thereby separating it from myself but, at the same time, keeping it as representation of myself. So on some level, I surely see the world the same way other people do, because if I did not I would not be able to do this; we would have no way of communicating if we did not share some common ground. But the fact that I HAVE to do this in order to convey my perspective is proof, to me at least, that my way of thinking is completely different to other people's. To what degree depends on the individual and the subject, and there is no real way of measuring it. At least, I haven't found one that I'd be satisfied with.

Ultimately I'm never going to know how people view the world, and I don't think I will ever consciously "understand" anything at all beyond an awareness that I am some kind of partially self-aware entity, because my thought processes and understanding is subconscious and instinctive; it's not something I really think about unless I force myself to. If I did, I would literally never get anything done, because I would be chasing myself endlessly trying to identify every little thing as it happened, and I would be forever lagging behind. My responses and reactions to things can be involuntary and subtle as well as voluntary and overt, and my awareness of them is situational.

Ultimately I'm not entirely sure any of it really matters. Ignorance is bliss, or so they say. Nothing is gained, and nothing is lost. There are only a loose sequence of events perceived in a linear fashion, and a vague sense of self. Life, and the world, are nothing beyond what you choose to allow yourself to comprehend. If you're not aware of it, then who is to say it exists at all?

We each have our own perspective, and the way we communicate with each other is imprecise and incapable of really describing what it is we experience. At least from my perspective. Whether or not other people share that view, and how much weight they place on it if they do, is an unknowable quantity. Even if people agree with the principle, I have absolutely no idea how they relate that to themselves, so at best it's a concession that we may or may not have some common ground. That will have to do until someone invents a way to allow individuals to share their consciousness...and even then, who is to say that will be enough, because surely you would lose your individuality if you merged it with another person's? Troubling indeed...

7. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    For most of my life there has always been some non-verbal social cue that I didn’t pick up naturally. This would lead to people getting frustrated at me for not understanding them and vice versa. While this is common for other people with autism, none of my autistic friends ever described this social struggle the same way. There was always something different in their experiences.

When people mention being able to visualize detailed objects or scenes in their heads, I find it impossible to relate. If you asked me to imagine an apple tree in a meadow, I would only be able to visualize the apple or the tree. Anything more complex and it would look all blurry in my head. The only conclusion I have is that I’m not a visual thinker and can only perceive things based on verbal descriptions.