1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

"I used to be with it..."

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dawn, May 31, 2019.

1. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    "...but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you!"

Have you experienced this yet? Do you find that modern trends - be they memes, media, fashion; whatever you're interested in - don't appeal to you, and what does is no longer popular...or, indeed, ridiculed? Or have your interests remained relevant for all these years?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Momo Kiseki

Riolu
    (Riolu)
    Level 30
    PokéPoints:
    ₽847.5
    Big Nugget ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    Hm...well when I was younger things like the Pokémon card game, things like Winx club (for the fairy and fantasy obsessed kids at school like me) and stuff were really well liked at school but everyone else grew out of it, I didn't.

I've actually become very, weird by people's standards. Not really interested in any 'Current' trends. I'm into all the old fashioned stuff that no one else is interested in. =)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    When I was in Elementary and Middle school, the thing was almost always something that I wasn't allowed to watch or read or whatever; Spongebob and Harry Potter was the two big things that I remember that everyone was into but I wasn't allowed to watch/read them because my mother said no. Besides that, I was into things that were it when my brothers were little and no one that was my age at my school has ever heard of any of them.

4. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,111.9
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    (Warning: text wall incoming.)

I’m on the “everyone used to love it then they grew out of it but I didn’t” side. In elementary school, I knew some kids who played/were interested in Pokémon. When I switched schools, I knew only maybe 2 people who played/were interested in Pokémon. Then the next year, one of those 2 people grew out of it. It was weird to me because I was so used to hearing about Pokémon. This is still the case today, and it even sounds weird for me to even say Pokémon out loud, because I just haven’t been able to talk to anyone about it. I feel awkward trying to talk about it to my friends.

This even happened in my family. My sister grew out of it when we defeated the Champion in our shared copy of White 2, which I then took over. Later that year (I think), I remember by brother telling me that he grew out of it. I was heartbroken, considering he was the one to get me interested in it in the first place. I feel like this contributed to the part above when I said that it sounds weird for me to talk about people to other people.

5. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I feel like I'm a bit of a hipster in denial. I rarely even know what "it" is and when I do I tend to ignore it until something convinces me to check it out years later. I've never really cared, until I do, and by the time I do it's usually not "it" anymore.

A lot of people used to watch Breaking Bad back in high school, but I only watched it once I was in my senior year of college.

6. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    Of the small group of friends I had growing up, I was the only one who kept their childhood interests. Things we had in common like video games and reading have become differences. Thanks to forums like this, I still have people to talk to about my interests.

One interest I developed recently that’s pretty out of date is CRT TVs. After getting one for my PS2, I’ve started to love the look and feel of those old TVs (even though they feel like barbells when you carry one).

7. Minty Electric

SS Egg 1
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽32.0
    I try to keep an open mind about what kids are into these days, partly because of my job (the ability to keep up with trends is a boon to the publishing industry) and partly because if it's fun for them and doesn't hurt anyone, that's awesome. Want to do the Fortnite dance all day erry day? You do you, little bean. Just don't borrow your parents' credit cards for Fortnite microtransactions. You ask your parents for stuff until you're old enough to get your own credit cards and make terrible financial decisions with them. /PSA

When it comes to my own interests, though, I have never kept up with the most popular thing. Oh, don't get me wrong. It's not because I'm a hipster or a trendy geek who's into obscure stuff. It's literally just because I am either: A) super cheap and hesitant to make any large purchase that would the Next Big Thing requires for enjoyment until Next Big Thing has gone out of style, or B) a person with really bad taste in literally everything (when it comes to her personal stuff, that is). When people were into pop-punk, I was still into pop. By the time I even read Homestuck, it was a solid two years after the internet became fully saturated with it. The Umbrella Academy is still on my to-watch list, and even though my office would not stop talking about the Handmaid's Tale last year, that ... is also still on my to-watch list. It's just about ripe for watching and obsessing over, actually.

So in other words, I guess you could say that, yes, most of what I'm into is kinda ridiculed, but that's just because I only get into it after it's no longer popular lmao.

8. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I find that outside of metal, synthwave, and the occasional retro-sounding indie or hard rock band, I'm not into any modern types of music. Not to say it's complete garbage since tastes are subjective and whatnot, but I personally can't stand the sound of rap, trap, modern pop, EDM and most indie stuff, like Bon Iver and the like (okay I'll admit I did go through a very small EDM phase in my early teens, but it didn't last long and I loathe the stuff nowadays). I probably sound like a lewronggenerationer (not that I care), but that's just how I feel. Keep in mind I have absolutely no problem with other folks listening to modern stuff, because like a said above music taste is a very subjective thing.

As for things I used to used to like/do that I don't anymore, one that comes to mind is collecting Schleich figurines. For those who don't know, Schleich is a brand that makes realistic figurines of all different things including animals, fantasy creatures, etc. I loved them as a kid and pretty much all of my pocket money went into buying them. At some point the figures they released every year started to change in quality, so I stopped buying them. I still have most of my collection but it's been years since I've brought another figure.

#8 May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
  9. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    What are trends? Seriously though, I do not keep up with modern trends to the point where I don't even know what's been trending for the past couple of years. I always get what I want and don't really consider what others like or talk about. Then again I don't really have a lot of time to do other things beside working.

However, there are the times when my sister and brother grew out of Pokémon. This wasn't all that tragic in my memory though. They simply said they weren't that into it anymore and I just played by myself. I was a very solitary person, (and still am) so I don't really mind not keeping up with the times.

10. SawstheSawsbuck

SawstheSawsbuck Sir Sawsbuck

Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽560.5
    Master BallLegendary Triforce ★★
    I much prefer the impact font memes of the early 2010s over a lot of the current memes
    and I also don't buy digital music, all of the music I own I bought on CD

11. Geroniny

Geroniny The Spacecraft Of Miracle

Azure
    (Kyogre)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽771.9
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Blue Orb ★★★★★Charizardite X ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    I Totally Can Relate This With Geronimo Stilton As Well As Wenlock And Mandeville. By The Way, Wenlock And Mandeville Is The Mascot Of London 2012 Olympic And Paralympic Games Just In Case You All Don't Know What Is It.

But I Swear In The Future, This May Happen To Cassini...

12. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    This is actually why I was bullied in elementary school dghsg
    But now that I'm an adult I find trends are less relevant